Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub headliners as headliners?? I blame New Jersey

Question Sub headliners as headliners?? I blame New Jersey

I am stoked on Portishead but c'mon! and on a saturday no less! Roger waters cool.
    But seriously, JAck Fucking Johnson!?? Friday is crap.
    Maybe if Goldenvoice didnt spread themselves out so thin we couldve gotten an actual headlining band. Like Radiohead?? I wouldve even taken REM. What happened? Jack Johnson?? guess ill be by the pool on friday unless the small acts are good that day.

Does anyone agree w. me on this or am I taking crazy pills

Default Re: Sub headliners as headliners?? I blame New Jersey

Jack Johnson as a headliner is pretty random. He will sell a lot of tickets to a new crowd though, so I assume that's why they did it. He's not exactly your typical Coachella headliner.

Headliners are for the birds anyways.

I am seriously HATING on this east coast bull-dookie. I think you hit the nail right on the head right there, pandaroo.

"...Maybe if Goldenvoice didnt spread themselves out so thin we couldve gotten an actual headlining band..."
    Last edited by jennygirl; 01-21-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    um, no...
    I love her!

Jack Johnson? Rilo Kiley I'm actually debating whether I'm still going... Hopefully some better bands will be announced.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

FUCK. im so sad. i was going to make the trip and spend lots of money. Now im rethinking it SERIOUSLY. Jack Johnson? since when is Coachella LANGERADO????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would've even taken No Doubt....
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    i think i would rather suck AIDZ out of gary colemans nutt.

fuck the east festival!!!!! jack john who????? fuck!!!

I agree the lineup seems pretty weak right now

scratch that headliners i meant to say

The lineup is pretty fucking solid. Who goes for the headliners, anyway?
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

skipping the whole festival because jack johnson is playing on ONE OF FIVE stages on one night. you are an idiot.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    The lineup is pretty fucking solid. Who goes for the headliners, anyway?
    Thats what I'm talking about! Seeing Waters play darkside of the moon will be cool and they were saying the production value of his set would be really high. As a whole the headliners aren't strong as they've been in years past but from top to bottom its a strong lineup. I'm stoked.

*And I get to make up for being a douche and missing gogol last year

they better have something amazing up their sleeves. i.e. deleting jack johnson.
    ya fuckass.

It seems to be more about the rest of the lineup than the headliners this year

I am so excited for the smaller acts really I couldnt be happier and Paul said they have a few tricks up there sleeve. But, if friday doesnt round out for me, I dont know it will be worth it to go that day. Especially w/ out a mention of a presale.
    see what I meant by getting our hopes up all you Prince/ Bowie enthusiasts! Unfortunatly Jack Johnson on the bill was similar to my nightmare last night - No JOKE!

I'm hoping the poster reveals something more of merit.
    And a Friday with any artist over Jack Johnson.

Yeah, solid lineup (no MBV though.. so sad...) but the headliners are actually sort of embarassing. I can't even brag to friends that i'm going this year. I know it'll be a blast, but I sure hope they add a few (ala Massive Attack and Daft Punk in 2005).

I have to agree. Considering my household has two of us going, I don't think I can justify $500 to go and not care to see one headliner. IMHO, you need bands that ROCK to pump you up at the end of the night so you can muster the energy to hike back to your vehicle through the battalion death march (I mean, what IS that two person dirt trail about??). Jack Johnson is a great add to Coachella, but NOT as a headliner. At best, he belongs in last year's Arcade Fire spot, right as the sun goes down and it is starting to cool down a bit. Portishead is nice and trippy, but once again, something I typically listen to during a chill out session. They would have been good in a spot like Tiesto occupied last year - late night for those that want to chill. And DON'T even get me started on money grubber Roger Waters. What a joke. Either bring the rest of Pink Floyd, or shut up - no one wants to hear you rape your old band's music for monetary gain. Did we hear Jarvis Cocker playing Pulp songs last year? NO. If there were a pre-sale and tix were $150 again, then I suppose I could justify the $300 for me and my sig other to go. But $500 and no headliner? I should have known that Coachella peaked last year (for some folks, the year before). Even adding Teddybears would have been a huge add for me . . . *sigh* I guess New Jersey will get all the A-list acts, and we are stuck with the B-list (in some cases C-list - the BREEDERS??) Ok, done ranting . . .

PEOPLE WILL SLAM u all day tlaking about GV..

But ive said it and will say again the 3 day festival makes talent thin each day..This line-up sucks.

Jack Johnson sucks yes, but that's one act.

Where'd everyone who was complaining about REM "possibly" headlining run off to? Are you happy now?! We've got Jack Johnson! That's like turning down a chicken salad and getting a shit sandwich instead!

If MBV or BOC ends up playing Jerschella I'll be EXTREMELY pissed. I'm seriously thinking about even going this year and I'm a five year vet. This sucks.

How about you cancel Jack Johnson, and use that money to get Daft Punk again, and have them as a headliner. Wouldn't that get more people? What a stupid decision.

Lurker

Brochella is the theme this year. Jack Johnson come on. Each year it keeps getting worse and worse.

Fuck. when does the Jerseychella fest get announced. I want to see what they have. Didnt I hear Jack Johnson is playing there too?
    Omigod- Bonnaroo enthusiasts may trek our way!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Yeah, solid lineup (no MBV though.. so sad...) but the headliners are actually sort of embarassing. I can't even brag to friends that i'm going this year. I know it'll be a blast, but I sure hope they add a few (ala Massive Attack and Daft Punk in 2005).
    ha ha hah.. this made me laugh..

such a let down this year.. gawd why do I get my hopes up.. the festival world really is becoming too saturated.. everything good must come to an end.
    2001, 2004, 2007, 2009

2013 EDM wishlish (please):

classixx, stanton warriors, logistics, jefr tale
    spencer & hill, bent, eric prydz, mike realm, nick thayer
    kruder & dorfmeister, young punx, phonat, treasure fingers
    Kraak & Smaak, sergio & benoit, kris menace, bassjackers, DJ Craze
    DIGITALISM, knifeparty, chemical brothers, bassbintwins, seth troxler

They got to add something. Definetly not bragging about seeing Jack Johnson. I mean the guy did the soundtrack for George the Curious monkey for gods sake!

LET'S BOYCOTT THIS YEAR AND ALL WATCH 2 GIRLS 1 CUP
    FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT!!!!!! TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!

How is Goldenvoice going to make money off this? I will be at the smaller stages but honestly- who is the target market on this one? Roger Waters fans are primarily older and are not going to drive out to the desert to see him on a Sunday!

I want an explanation as to why Goldenvoice thinks JJ and Portishead qualify as headliners

I really want to stick a Churro into Jack Johnson's ...

Quote Originally Posted by punkgirl View Post
    I have to agree. Considering my household has two of us going, I don't think I can justify $500 to go and not care to see one headliner. IMHO, you need bands that ROCK to pump you up at the end of the night so you can muster the energy to hike back to your vehicle through the battalion death march (I mean, what IS that two person dirt trail about??). Jack Johnson is a great add to Coachella, but NOT as a headliner. At best, he belongs in last year's Arcade Fire spot, right as the sun goes down and it is starting to cool down a bit. Portishead is nice and trippy, but once again, something I typically listen to during a chill out session. They would have been good in a spot like Tiesto occupied last year - late night for those that want to chill. And DON'T even get me started on money grubber Roger Waters. What a joke. Either bring the rest of Pink Floyd, or shut up - no one wants to hear you rape your old band's music for monetary gain. Did we hear Jarvis Cocker playing Pulp songs last year? NO. If there were a pre-sale and tix were $150 again, then I suppose I could justify the $300 for me and my sig other to go. But $500 and no headliner? I should have known that Coachella peaked last year (for some folks, the year before). Even adding Teddybears would have been a huge add for me . . . *sigh* I guess New Jersey will get all the A-list acts, and we are stuck with the B-list (in some cases C-list - the BREEDERS??) Ok, done ranting . . .
    You ARE aware that there are four other bands playing at the same time as JJ, right?
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets