Thread: Tilly and the wall

Default Tilly and the wall

Anyone know this band? I listened to one song, and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping they play early in the day and I can get front row to at least one group while at coachella.

Default Re: Tilly and the wall

TATW are great! I liked their Wild Like CHildren album better than their new one but both of them are really good! Can't wait to catch this band live!

Quote Originally Posted by garrett222 View Post
    Anyone know this band? I listened to one song, and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping they play early in the day and I can get front row to at least one group while at coachella.
    An intriguing act. Instead of traditional drumkit percussion they use hand percussion and one girl's tap-dancing. Should be neat to watch.
    For my Internet DJ gig, start here: http://xpn2.org
    For professional pictures and words, start here: http://www.desperatehours.com

they are amazing. both of their cds are premium
    i cant wait to see them.

i've seen 'em a couple times opening for other bands, and they are pretty fun, if you're into twee

For my Internet DJ gig, start here: http://xpn2.org
    For professional pictures and words, start here: http://www.desperatehours.com

thats a wonderful video. i am so excited to see them!

Well... They are no Camera Obscura... But they will do...
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

catchy tunes

Quote Originally Posted by desphrs View Post
    An intriguing act. Instead of traditional drumkit percussion they use hand percussion and one girl's tap-dancing. Should be neat to watch.
    My 15 year old INSISTS that it is not tap dancing but flamenco dancing....her 13 year old sister and I tease her incessantly that it is tap...mostly in response to the fact that I had to listen to the album over and over and over.....all in all...a little too twee for my tastes but entertaining overall. I have no doubt that we will be at that one early. I am going to use it as leverage for some of the acts I want to see--Arcade Fire and Kings of Leon and the Fratellis to start with.

they're really fun. i saw them at the glasshouse they have their own little tap-dancing instrument

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Gimmick.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

awwww i love tilly and the wall.. they're awesome

fuck you haters this is the sleeper show of friday

Yeah. I am def gonna make the best effort to catch them.

I fell in love with them after I saw them open up for Rilo Kiley. It was Halloween and the girl who does the tapping was dressed like a grandma. It was funny just to look over and seeing her go all crazy with the grey hair and the warm up suit. hahahaha. They're on my absolutely don't miss list.

i dunno how tap-dancing is a gimmick if it's in lieu of drumming... and they're (well, at least the one girl in particular) is actually really good at it.

anyway, i was ALSO at that halloween/rilo kiley show too!!! that was the first time i'd seen them and was totally impressed - picked up their album at the show ... saw them at the troubadour as well and that was even better. definitely one of the bands i'm most looking forward to this year.
    COACHELLA 99-01-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12

I also saw Tilly and the Wall open for Rilo Kiley at the Glass House, but don't remember if it was a Halloween show. I thought Tilly and the Wall was far too gimmicky, and came off as a poor man's Polyphonic Spree. I think that was the same night that Smoosh also opened, and I liked them WAY better than Tilly and the Wall. When you come off as more gimmicky than a band comprised solely of two sisters who are 9 and 11, I think you've got to rethink your band image.

Quote Originally Posted by fac429 View Post
    I also saw Tilly and the Wall open for Rilo Kiley at the Glass House, but don't remember if it was a Halloween show. I thought Tilly and the Wall was far too gimmicky, and came off as a poor man's Polyphonic Spree. I think that was the same night that Smoosh also opened, and I liked them WAY better than Tilly and the Wall. When you come off as more gimmicky than a band comprised solely of two sisters who are 9 and 11, I think you've got to rethink your band image.
    It sounds like you just wrote them off as a gimicky Polyphonic rip-off right away. If you actually listen to their music it's pretty different than Polyphonic Spree.

Tilly and the wall are a great live show. I have seen them live several times and have enjoyed them every time. They are just a fun group to see and be around. Some of you may call some of their set a sleeper act...but I've never danced for a live band more than the last time i saw them. The song they close most every show with is worth seeing them alone.

I'm a big fan...and I am looking forward to seeing them again!

I agree. Gimmick.
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

tilly and the wall is on team love conor obersts label. they're one of the bands im looking the most forward to. i suggest you check them out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    It sounds like you just wrote them off as a gimicky Polyphonic rip-off right away. If you actually listen to their music it's pretty different than Polyphonic Spree.
    Well, I definitely wrote them off as gimmicky when I saw the tap dancer. The Polyphonic Spree part only came to me as I was writing my original post, and was directed not so much towards their music but rather their overly happy, damn-we-missed-the-60's vibe. THAT'S the part that reminded me of Polyphonic Spree, who I do enjoy.

Maybe I'm just overly prejudiced against ridiculously joyous tap dancers...

Yeah they are lots of fun and they will definetely play earlier in the day. Look how low they are on the poster. All bands that low usually play early.