• Fringe Beach

23 35.94%
  • Lacuna Festival

41 64.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - FRINGE BEACH VS. LACUNA

Default CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - FRINGE BEACH VS. LACUNA

Create A Festival - Round #3 - Fringe Beach vs. Lacuna Festival

Okay, here is the seventh match of the third round. You're voting on which festival you like the best. Take into account any type of factor(s) you want. Which bands you like the best. The location. The ticket price. The extras. Pretend if you had one choice of going to a festival, and you were gonna spend your money on one of these, which would it be? Whatever the case, you're voting one of these into the next round!

Voting will last 3 days, and you're only allowed to vote if you have 200 posts or more (votes are public, so I'll know, so don't waste your time if you have less than 200 - unless you've entered a poster yourself). And NO alias voting. If I even suspect you to be an alias, you're votes won't count (sorry bug, abe, granny and more).

Please note, the winner of this round will move onto Round 4, which is the first round that will start including set times...so reminder: WHOEVER WINS THIS CONTEST, REMEMBER YOU SUBMIT SETTIMES FOR THE NEXT ROUND (I'LL EMAIL YOU INFO).

Choice #1

Fringe Beach Festival

Ticket Price: $183.25
    Reunion Band: Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
    Onsite Camping
    No Noise Curfew
    Open Taping

Choice #2

Lacuna Festival

Ticket Price: $180.00
    Reunion Band: Eric B. and Rakim
    Onsite Camping
    No Noise Curfew
    Open Taping

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - FRINGE BEACH VS. LACUNA

Fringe Beach, better overall line up.

Plus, The Aquabats on the sand sounds like the coolest thing ever.

Coachella Junkie

It is very hard for me to vote against a festival with both Prodigy and Ulrich Schnauss...

But the EDM sections of Lacuna are solid. Plus, I'd love to see m83, Sigur Ros, BoC, Battles, and UNKLE.

Lacuna for the win.

Montauk would be a very nice location for a festival.

Props to the Eternal Sunshine references, gotta think this over, but leaning towards Lacuna.

I'm liking the Lacuna lineup mainly because of the old school acts (and having some originality)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

The Chemical Brothers, Rabbit in the Moon, Deep Dish, Erol Alkan, Adam Freeland, SMD, Sasha and Digweed, The Avalanches, MSTRKRFT, Boys Noize, Modeselektor...and that's seemingly ONLY the dance tent? I'm sold.

lacuna
    je suis un extraterrestre

airfare to fiji and back is like a grand at the low end, may want to take that into consideration...i did.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Props to the Eternal Sunshine references, gotta think this over, but leaning towards Lacuna.
    Hah, didn't notice that till you mentioned it. The only things Lacuna's missing in that vein, then, is Beck (oh, how great it'd be for him to be accompanied by Jon Brion on "Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime") and a tagline like "A Weekend You'll Never Forget" (or something similarly goofy).
    I'm surprised by some of the overlapping artists: Bowie and Okkervil River are to be expected, and it's interesting that Fringe Beach has Portishead as a sub-headliner while Lacuna has them as a headliner, but I haven't seen Black Angels, Puscifer, Jamiroquai, or Modeselektor on many posters thus far, so to see them on both of these is unexpected.
    Taking out the artists that are on both festivals, I'm interested in 19 of Fringe Beach's acts and 43 of Lacuna's. I wonder how Fringe Beach, which has 60 acts total compared to Lacuna's 72, winds up costing more. Was an overseas locale more costly than one in the States? I mean, it's not the biggest deal, but even if the decision was any tougher, the fact that I wouldn't have to fly halfway across the world to see Lacuna would get my vote over Fringe Beach.
    Can't wait to see the set times for Lacuna 'cause the potential for heart-wrenching conflicts seems brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Modest Mouse playing Lonesome Crowded West? Dusty Rhodes and the River Band? Im Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_cake530 View Post
    Modest Mouse playing Lonesome Crowded West? Dusty Rhodes and the River Band? Im Sold.
    Haha yeah man! Thats what I was thinking. I love Dustry Rhodes! Also, The Lonesome Crowded West is my fav Modest Mouse album.

Both of these festivals have similar acts too. David Bowie, Portishead, Jamiroquai, Lemon Jelly, Modeselektor, Puscifer, Ween, Erol Alkan, Okkervil River, Black Angels, Boyz Noice and The Avalanches.

However, I am liking the diverse acts like The Aqubats, Flogging Molly, Tiger Army and Rezurex. But Lacuna does have Afrika Bambaata...

Both are good line ups... but Madness, the Prodigy and Captain Beefheart most definately tip the scales for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Ya I saw them opening for Flogging Molly, and it was just pure awesomeness. I especially like how every member is a complete misfit. The lead singer is this slightly overweight guy with a huge curly poodle haircut...the bassist is an asian with a big ass mustache....the guitarist shreds and its just funny looking cause from what i remember he's also this asian guy...although i guess that makes sense cause asian people are crazy. and the drummer has this fat white guy afro sorta thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Haha yeah man! Thats what I was thinking. I love Dustry Rhodes! Also, The Lonesome Crowded West is my fav Modest Mouse album.

Both of these festivals have similar acts too. David Bowie, Portishead, Jamiroquai, Lemon Jelly, Modeselektor, Puscifer, Ween, Erol Alkan, Okkervil River, Black Angels, Boyz Noice and The Avalanches.

However, I am liking the diverse acts like The Aqubats, Flogging Molly, Tiger Army and Rezurex. But Lacuna does have Afrika Bambaata...

Both are good line ups... but Madness, the Prodigy and Captain Beefheart most definately tip the scales for me.
    also, i was thinking the same thing...these festivals are very similar and very evenly matched, but Fringe has the slight advantage Lonesome Crowded West and Dusty Rhodes.

Anyone with Capitan Beefheart gets my vote!

Wow, both of these are awesome festivals. Kudos to both for having the beloved Asobi Seksu. Lacuna has more acts I want to see (because it has more acts period, so both are about the same percentagewise) but I have to go with Fringe for Thom Yorke, the Captain Beefheart reunion, having the balls to book a divisive headliner like Oasis, and a guarantee of hearing little or no new Modest Mouse material.

Thom Yorke solo has been surprisingly underused in this contest.
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-17-2008 at 01:00 AM.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

prodigy....fringe
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Having Portishead as a headliner is weak considering at Fringe you got Portishead playing into David Bowie...
    Upcoming Shows:

Jesus H. Christ we need a moratorium on Radiohead, Prince, and David Bowie as headliners.
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Jesus H. Christ we need a moratorium on Radiohead, Prince, and David Bowie as headliners.
    so, why did u vote for Lacuna?
    Upcoming Shows:

A wet, broken, cardboard box in New Yawk Shitty

They should totally do a festival in Montauk, NY. It is beautiful there. I grew up going there a lot as a kid. Totally an amazing place.
    Without music life would be a mistake. - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Your thermos would fit nice in my lunchbox....

Us on hard drugs? That would be horrible. We'd probably end up sounding like Bryan Adams. - Thom Yorke

Coachella Junkie

I would die laughing if the headliners for coach this year were Prince, Radiohead, and David Bowie.

EDIT: I'm going to go over these two in a little while.
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 01-17-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I see someone with less than 200 votes voted for Lacuna...recount.
    Upcoming Shows:

4 people with less than 200 posts voted for Lacuna. Doesn't matter -- it's still winning by double digits without those votes. And for the record, 4 people whose votes don't count (either they have less than 200 posts or, in Abe Lincoln's case, are thought to be an alias and disqualified by menik) voted for Fringe Beach, so it's more like 32 to 17 at this point. I think it's interesting that most of the comments in this thread would suggest that Fringe Beach is winning but it really isn't even close in the opposite direction.
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

I really thought this one would have been closer. Both share the share a good number of acts. Also, Lacuna has the typical David Bowie/Prince combo. Fringe Beach does have David Bowie, but it also has Bjork (who has only been used in 1 other festival I believe) and Oasis, who hasn't been used at all. I dunno. Both are damn good line ups. But I thought this one was going to end up something like Baja vs. Pemberton.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

You talk about Bowie and Prince as though they're the only two people on the lineup. There's 70 other fucking artists! That's the thing that irks me about the way people are harping on Radiohead/Bowie/Prince/whoever the fuck else as being unoriginal. Uhm, it's not like everybody involved in the contest knew what acts other people were going to be using or else I bet there would've been a lot less posters with Bowie and Prince headlining. And even with that, as I mentioned in the Cascade/Ayahuasca thread, what's interesting is seeing who the creators of the festivals scheduled to play into the headliner. Broken Social Scene -> Portishead -> David Bowie is pretty different than Devo -> Boards of Canada -> David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    You talk about Bowie and Prince as though they're the only two people on the lineup. There's 70 other fucking artists! That's the thing that irks me about the way people are harping on Radiohead/Bowie/Prince/whoever the fuck else as being unoriginal. Uhm, it's not like everybody involved in the contest knew what acts other people were going to be using or else I bet there would've been a lot less posters with Bowie and Prince headlining. And even with that, as I mentioned in the Cascade/Ayahuasca thread, what's interesting is seeing who the creators of the festivals scheduled to play into the headliner. Broken Social Scene -> Portishead -> David Bowie is pretty different than Devo -> Boards of Canada -> David Bowie.
    You do realize that last year's winner had Bowie and Radiohead, right? In fact, I think 3 of the competing posters in the last contest had both.

It is pretty damn unoriginal. And I mean, when it's your headliners, the bands you put in huge, bold print to sell your festival, I think people have a damn right to assert whether or not they're unoriginal or not because those bands are your selling point!

Also, I've resolved to vote for Fringe Beach because I would like to see Oasis live, and Fringe's full lineup Sunday beats any day on Lacuna.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    You do realize that last year's winner had Bowie and Radiohead, right? In fact, I think 3 of the competing posters in the last contest had both.

It is pretty damn unoriginal. And I mean, when it's your headliners, the bands you put in huge, bold print to sell your festival, I think people have a damn right to assert whether or not they're unoriginal or not because those bands are your selling point!

Also, I've resolved to vote for Fringe Beach because I would like to see Oasis live, and Fringe's full lineup Sunday beats any day on Lacuna.
    No, I didn't pay attention to the festival contest last year 'cause it wasn't till September or so that I started venturing into the Lounge.

So who were the original headliners that you had on your poster last year, Passive? How obscure and daring did you go, and how far did you advance?

There aren't very many acts who I would get excited about if they were to headline Coachella. I can see the potential of No Doubt and the White Stripes headlining this year, and while I'd probably catch portions of both of their sets (depending on who they were up against), it wouldn't excite me the way David Bowie or Radiohead would. Such is the case for these contests: I'd like to see Iggy and the Stooges or Neutral Milk Hotel in concert, but having them as the headliners of a festival isn't going to garner my vote simply because they're not the headliners on any other festival. Same thing with the Razzle: I'll grant you that it was more original to have Smashing Pumpkins, Massive Attack, and Led Zeppelin as its headliners, but I don't care for this incarnation of the Pumpkins and have never been a fan of LZ besides a few of their singles, so why the fuck would I vote for it based solely on its originality of headliners? People are going to vote for who they would be most excited to see. It's perfectly valid of you to vote for Fringe Beach because you want to see Oasis live and that's the festival that would grant you the opportunity to do so; voting for it simply because it didn't have Prince as its headliner would have been pretty cheap.

Oh I lost in the first round last year. Mainly because I had RHCP as my Sat. headliner (Pixies Fri., Tool Sun., and because I threw a fit and revealed that it was my festival, instantly garnering a plethora of votes against me), but also because I faced Bosco's ace Muertos festival in the first round; A poster with original headliners (in Gorillaz and John Williams), a great location, and amazing design. Yes, it did have Bowie as the closer, and yeah, I have had no problem voting for festivals that have one of the over-saturated headliners (I voted for Fringe and it has Bowie) but 2-3 just screams "meh" to me.

Maybe I have higher expectations for the board members, and perhaps this was a terrible year for headliner choices (maybe this is because Erik banned The Smiths, Floyd and Talking Heads... Damn him), but I feel it's a damn shame that people, inexplicably, went for such obvious headliner choices.
    Upcoming Shows: