Thread: Help CR** out on a project please

Default Help CR** out on a project please

Allrighty then, I am thinking of doing something and I would like some serious criticisms of the idea, and any suggestions of the how/when/why variety …. One year at Coachella, someone interviewed us for about 15 minutes on camera …. We waited for the DVD hoping and thinking we might be on it … well we weren’t but then I am not sure if they were from GV or not …. So we were bummed but I thought about that the last few years … what I would like to do this year, if I can get it together, is make a documentary of some festivals (not amateurish but it wont be Hollywood either) … we have lots of vids about shows and festivals, with some on camera with the atmosphere and participants, but mostly just the bands playing … what I would like to do, is go to a number of diverse festivals say, Coachella/Wakarusa/bonnaroo/vegoose and take hours of everything except inside the venue and the bands …. Sounds boring, maybe … but I think it would be interesting to see how different and how alike each of the four different festivals are for the concert goers … if the vid was about 3 hours long, I could vid about 40 people and or groups of people, their campsites, all of the different campgrounds in the venues like VIP, and bumfriggin Egypt miles away from the show … the general area where it is being held i.e.: a quick flash of the closest city, the camping layout in general, etc, and a bunch of comments from us common folk … It would of course be HD and as professional as I could make it … then for my friends on the boards, who of course would be in the vids, I would give them a copy … and then maybe try to pawn it off on e bay for 5 bucks or so …. So hit me up with: good ideas, the notion that this has been done many times before, what a crappy idea, well you get the thread by now I think …. Tnx in advance for “constructive” thoughts even negative …. Tnx Colorado Ron ****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Default Re: Help CR** out on a project please

I think it's interesting, but you might want to see if you can get some artist interviews in there to give people something to look for (while watching the completed tape), IMO. If not, of course, actual performances.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

my attention span is too short to read that long post
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I think it's a good idea ron and I would watch it, but...I probably wouldn't buy it.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I say aim a tiny bit lower and maybe try producing something for Current TV on each festival.

It'll be hard to get 3 hours of decent footage with what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    my attention span is too short to read that long post
    Same.

Summarization please.

"heh...im gonna make a video...4 different festivls.............................................its gonna contain atmosphere and stuff....grrr."

cr***

I think it's a great idea Ron. 3 hours may be a bit redundant, but I think it would be good fun to see the differences. If you could go international - get some Glastonbury maybe it might add a little variety.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I personally wouldn't choose Coachella, Vegoose, and Bonnaroo. Those festivals all have too similar of a programming philosophy. That could be a way of studying the nuances of each festival against each other, as well as keeping one demographic interested in all of the footage. But to me, a more interesting film would be if you took footage of, say, one of those three, plus Rock the Bells, plus Country Jam, plus Winter Music Conference. Or something along those lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

cool, tnx for some hummmmm's, if you think of more, please add ... and i wouldnt be doing it for the money 2112 and i think i agree with you .. but someone said i should write a book, no way too daft here lol, but maybe the vid would be my legacy hummm canx**

It is a cool idea and if you're looking for someone to fill the role of attendee, neighborhood local, and a witness to the prep before the festival, my hand's up and so is Suffacated's! With 60,000 each day, I think I'd even be suprised at the variety of visuals and responses you'ld capture!

This sounds like an excuse to get girls gone wild at Coachella.Excellent plan,Ron...
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

Other ideas:

I am not thinking about any sort of marketing or selling just making a good vid

3 set DVD titled 3 days of Music (a play on Woodstock but) each DVD would be specific to a certain festival

Yes vegoose does not work because this vid will concentrate on destination camping festivals only
    So it would be Coachella, Wakarusa, and bonnaroo … someone said the shows should be more
    Diverse, but being at each fest a number of times, they are really really different
    I thought having each dvd broke into a few sections possibly
    a) General layout of the entire fest i.e.: the proximately of any town, major metro area nearby, the cool things
    Particular to that fest (Clinton Lake at Waka, polo field camping at Coachella, etc)
    b) All of the camping areas that are available for a show
    c)interviews with people camping and their setups
    d)music from stages OUTSIDE of the venues in camping

So I think this is turning out to be like a Fromers (?) guide for camping concert goes to these fests anyway
    or a Festival Camping for Dummies vid

Still thinking here …. Peace … cr****
    tnx brokendoll btw

It could also be an ongoing series, after the first three add on other festivals you know put the profits to work. Next summer do an European set maybe consisting of Glasto, Reeding, and others. Maybe do different kinds of music latter as well, someone suggested Country Jam, you could even do Burning man. There is alot of places to go with this idea after the initial 3. Great idea.
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Ron. Two words, Press Pass.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Coachella, Bonnaroo, and Glasto would be the best choices methinks. Desert, muggy, mud. Hipsters, hippies, limeys. Perhaps this year I'll actually try to do some of the video documenting of Coachella I'd wanted to last year but couldn't because I had too many drugs to sell. If so, you're welcome to the footage, Ron.

Personally I really want to work on the next Coachella DVD project, but just in the campgrounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Coachella, Bonnaroo, and Glasto would be the best choices methinks. Desert, muggy, mud. Hipsters, hippies, limeys. Perhaps this year I'll actually try to do some of the video documenting of Coachella I'd wanted to last year but couldn't because I had too many drugs to sell. If so, you're welcome to the footage, Ron.

Personally I really want to work on the next Coachella DVD project, but just in the campgrounds.
    now i think you are getting where i am coming from, although i know i can be confusing ... there are a million concert and festival vids out there .... this would be different, albiet maybe boring, who knows .... when i get this more together maybe we can talk eh .... and if i make it coachella, we should def get together .... and glasto, yes, someone else said a european vid might be in place next year if this works ... and fatb, i know, but they are not easy to get, press pass, that is ... and again, i am not trying to get into a fest and take a bunch of stock footage, trying to do something different ... but a press pass would be way cool .... anyone out there got any in's lol ... tnx again board for ideas, i only have a few months to get this going .... no comment from PF ... hey pro, lame or maybe possible, this idea ??? cr****

Boring is a very definite possibility I'm afraid. Frankly Ron, my advice would be that in order to keep the idea interesting you need a really good personality behind the camera to steer the conversation in interesting directions. You, my friend, might be a bit too burnt--although if your verbal conversation is similar to your written word I think the documentary could be hilarious just for the fact that a sober you talking to drugged-out festival goers would be delightfully incoherent.

Kidding of course, you know I love you Ron. But personally I don't think interviews with the Bonnaroo crowd would be anything but fucking annoying. If I hear the hippie drawl for more than a few minutes and there's not a drug transaction involved I get the urge to stab the nearest piece of tie-dye I can find.

Tnx Randy for your advice more then anyone here so far …. I worry about the boring most … I am not making a talking heads vid because they are boring … first I think I have to think of the audience … remember, major point, this is not to make money (if it covers some of my cost great, if not so be it) .. so who am I aiming for? It could just be a wacked out vid showing how festivals are different in so many ways that you sit around a watch while you are trashed, or it could be informational, trying to help someone get up to speed before they hit up a new venue, or just as a snapshot of these times for amusement … ????? …. And on interviewing …. I don’t want to have a stock set of questions I ask everyone, even though it would show some of the differences and sameness of us all ….. I also don’t want “some hippie lol” to ramble on for 5 minutes about his last trip … or some indie kid talking about emo crap forever ..... so many descisions to make .. well off to a meeting … cr****

Documentary ain't easy, Ron, I'll tell you that much. Finding people who'll be good subject matter is tough even if you have great questions. But I'll lend help where I can.

so you show 3 hours (or whatever) of people outside the festival but you never go inside the festival itself? what is this Waiting for Godot?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Ron, I know from my experience that some of the best moments in my festival/concert experience have been outside the venue. But to catch enough to fill three hours could take you hours and hours of unused footage. Do you plan on just sitting outside and never going in? Wouldn't that ruin the experience for you a bit?

I like the general concept, but I think it'll leave the viewer wanting a lot more.

so you show 3 hours (or whatever) of people outside the festival but you never go inside the festival itself? what is this Waiting for Godot?
    You got it Tom, yes that would not work, the crowd going in the gate or just waiting outside, but that is not what I was saying. Lets just say for each festival it the dvd was an hour long. If it were in 4 parts like I said, that would mean there is only 15 mins for:

Lets use bonnaroo for an example:

Showing the town of Manchester ,over 700 acreas of farmland, and the general in and outs at the show. 15 min
    Look at each campground for location, services, parking and camping space, shade, etc. 15 min
    I forget about Coachella, but the others have off venue stages to hang and to play at. Show them and perhaps a short performance. 15 min
    Interviews with people who are attending the fest, at their campsites, and around the gates and vendors (shakedown). 15 min

So all of the sudden your hour of boring talking heads turns into a max of maybe 15-20 mins. This is truly a sidebar, but looking at 80k attendance, say 40k were women, could you watch say 10 of the hottest gals from a choice of 40k for 15 min. I am thinking yes.

One funny thing you said about just a shot at the crowd going in. Coachella would be the only one I might do that at. Everyone gets crazy and wants to be in most pics and vids. But with the roo and waka, there are (not much anyway) no crowds at the gates. Since there is IN AND OUT (note GV) people are more laid back knowing they can go in any time, and out, and back, and out , ad nauseam. We always just walked up to the gate, and walked right in with little or no waiting. Maybe for security, but they usually just look at me and smile, and send me on my way in.

Still thinking … cr****
    and alqunz, that worried me a bit when i was thinking like that. i think i would concentrate on friday and saturday morning for each fest, then spend the rest of the time having fun. yes there would be hours and hours of wasted footage, but if you read the above, it might not take that long at each show, each day .... keep em coming gang ....canx**

this is more then i have typed in 500 threads lol ... off to home .....

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    So all of the sudden your hour of boring talking heads turns into a max of maybe 15-20 mins. This is truly a sidebar, but looking at 80k attendance, say 40k were women, could you watch say 10 of the hottest gals from a choice of 40k for 15 min. I am thinking yes.
    works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Another way to go is the afterparty at the campsites. This would be harder to shot, because of lighting but it would be interesting to talk to some people before and after, compare their feelings about they just say with what they expected. Plus people would generally be still on an adrenaline high after the show. Maybe if the closers aren't your cup of tea you leave a few minutes before the crowds and catch them as they enter the campgrounds.

I do agree that you need many hours of footage, just keep the camera rolling at all times in the camping areas. I would also work on the town shots either a couple days before or the day after, talking to locals about their feelings on the festivals. I do think this a great idea, but a lot work at the festival itself, and alot of time editing and going over hours and hours of footage.
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Ron I like the idea as well but like others have said it might be too much. Great editing could make it worth while, but the amount of footage plays a vital role in this.

Personally I've always wanted to wear a helmet cam to a festival but I tend to get a little to bouncy/hyper during some performances. You seem to be a laid back kinda dude that does a lil boppin here and there, but I dont think it would hurt video quality. I think that would be neat, if you wore the helmet cam throughout the fest and went about your festival experience as usual. I think if you go out looking to "capture" the experience it won't turn out as well as it would if you just let it happen. We all know you're bound to come across something crazy and strange because afterall you are cr***. Thats my 2 cents........

Documentary Title - A Day in the Life of Cr***

Just remember me when Oscar season roles around good buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Ron I like the idea as well but like others have said it might be too much. Great editing could make it worth while, but the amount of footage plays a vital role in this.

Personally I've always wanted to wear a helmet cam to a festival but I tend to get a little to bouncy/hyper during some performances. You seem to be a laid back kinda dude that does a lil boppin here and there, but I dont think it would hurt video quality. I think that would be neat, if you wore the helmet cam throughout the fest and went about your festival experience as usual. I think if you go out looking to "capture" the experience it won't turn out as well as it would if you just let it happen. We all know you're bound to come across something crazy and strange because afterall you are cr***. Thats my 2 cents........

Documentary Title - A Day in the Life of Cr***

Just remember me when Oscar season roles around good buddy!
    wow i really like the head camera thing with one draw back, and it could be major ... i want this HD and even the smallest might be hard to set that up in a hat ... any ideas gang ?? but that did give me another idea tnx, how about the big fluffy dog doing any pics that involve people ... (most of the footage i know) .... you guys have seen pics of the dog, but you have to catch my corney clapping my paws and stuff, people really like it and get off on it ... another advantage, ok so i am older then most of your dads lol, if i am dressed, there are no sterotypes because of what i look like cuz you cant see meeeeeeeeeeeee ......even the guys want to come up and pet me(cracks me up, but keep it at petting above the neck ), and the gals, well you know gals and fluffy dogs ... hummmm .... i sure am glad this isnt really even at the planning stage, but just floating the idea (and you read how i used to float so i have practice lol ... hijack my own thread) cr****