View Poll Results: how often do you wear earplugs at concerts?

Voters
340. You may not vote on this poll
  • never

133 39.12%
  • usually never, but I'll make the odd exception

85 25.00%
  • 25%

18 5.29%
  • 50%

29 8.53%
  • 75%

42 12.35%
  • always

33 9.71%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: earplugs?

old school

Default Re: earplugs?

It was funny how few people were wearing earplugs at Swans.

Thanks JustSteve. I'm on my way here. Got in touch with my local dealer/fitter and am expecting a call back shortly to discuss pricing.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I wear earplugs less often in Hawaii, but shows here are significantly less loud.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Luaus don't count as "shows."
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I'll luau you.

So I got my custom earplugs a couple of weeks back. I have yet to try them at a show (POBPAH tomorrow night will be the first test) or at a gig for my band (Friday will be the first test for that), but I tried them while blasting music and also had someone yell in my ear. They really work well. I got the 15db (which the audiologist determined would be the best for my performance needs), but I can always switch the filters out if I need to. It was a good investment for sure. I will report back after the show tomorrow though, just to confirm.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I'd love custom earplugs but I lose earplugs waaaay too frequently to make that kind of investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

These are genuinely difficult to lose. They come in a bag of sorts. They are large. You would have to be pretty retarded to lose them. I don't think you are. You might be, though, after all the Four Loko.

yes, Andrew...please do report back on the new plugs. juststeve has me nearly convinced to get some, but i can't stand the fidelity loss with plugs in.

but, the alternative is much worse so please do report back. thx.

They worked amazingly well. I don't know why I didn't get them sooner. It's like having control of the volume knob at a concert. It still sounds amazing and clear. Everything is just quieter. Now I don't have to go deaf by 25!

Quote Originally Posted by Bleezie View Post
    and I can't seem to control the volume of my voice for the given situation.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    They worked amazingly well. I don't know why I didn't get them sooner. It's like having control of the volume knob at a concert. It still sounds amazing and clear. Everything is just quieter. Now I don't have to go deaf by 25!
    Nice. This makes me want some.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Around $185. I'm looking at it as a long-term investment, considering the amount of loud music I play/listen to in concert. I think it is a pretty reasonable price for well-made, custom-fit earplugs.
    andrew, was this what it ended up being for the pair + fitting? i just called another place around the corner from my house that distributes the Westones + Entymologic fillers and they wanted fucking $260 for the whole shibang.

please let me/us know. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    yes, Andrew...please do report back on the new plugs. juststeve has me nearly convinced to get some, but i can't stand the fidelity loss with plugs in.
    the fidelity is better, imo, with customs. the actual filter is like this woven fabric with a tighter weave the higher up in db reduction you go, not a solid piece of material, so the sound still comes through clear. cuts out some of the highs and lows that are too overpowering, though, so you hear everything better.

The $185 price tag might have been partially because of work. That said, check out the info I PM'd you and see what's up.

old school

Hey folks, I don't go to many shows sadly, but for something like Sasquatch I'm wondering if I should get earplugs as a long term investment, then for shows I do go to then I receive better sound. I've found myself plugging my ears just so I don't get the insane highs (and lows). For your casual show up front, should one get a pair?

Thanks!

i recently got a custom pair of earplugs that use the etymologic filters. this requires an audiologist to take a mold of your ear canal and then wait a couple weeks for them to come in. i started with the -15db filters, which ended up being too much for me so i switched to the -9db filters and they work really well.

i didn't find them to be quite as good at maintaining the high fidelity as Andrew has ("It's like having control of the volume knob at a concert."), but i am very, very picky about sound quality so my opinion might be taken as that of an outlier. having said that, they are pretty awesome and i will use them when the volume begins to hurt (meaning, no, i don't use them at all the shows i go to).

as for whether or not someone should get a pair...i guess it's a function of # of shows you attend per year, the type of music you go see (if metal = yes!) and how much scrilla you have to drop. the custom ones are $185-250 and there are non-custom ones from Etymologic that you can get for about $20 that were what i used to use. those aren't too bad and may be a nice, inexpensive interim test for you.

old school

Thanks! I guess right now it will be most logical if I just get a good, cheap pair, especially as a test, thanks once again!

sasquatch is a pretty quiet festival. i doubt you'll need plugs.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I need to get some earplugs.

i have an extra pair of the non-custom entymologics. should i bring them on Monday?

i have an extra pair of the non-custom entymologics. should i bring them on Monday?
    I'd be interested in checking out either yours/Andrews customs at Coachella. Ok if I shoot you over a message the week before and plan a brief meet up at polo grounds (assuming you are at Coachella this year)?

I would be happy to let you check out my custom plugs as well. Just let me know.

^ Cool. Will send a message once we get closer to festival. Will also be a good chance to talk some J Spaceman/Sonic Boom as well.

I used them when MBV played. I should have used them during Ministry two years ago.

yes! please.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    ^ Cool. Will send a message once we get closer to festival.
    yep, sure. reminders are helpful, although i suspect i will have a pair or two of the non-customs with me.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    yes! please.
    see comment above about reminders.

see comment above about reminders.
    reminders. got it.

I use these at almost every single show I go to:

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-High-Fi...900116&sr=8-31

Back when I worked at the El Rey and was around live music on a daily basis, I seriously considered getting custom ones at the suggestion of my bosses, but never went through with it. I might get to reconsider that this year. But seriously, Matt and all you other naysayers, for as big of music fans as you are, it boggles my mind you guys do not use ear plugs all the freaking time. Noises that are louder than 85 dB can cause permanent hearing loss. That is a blow dryer. Or a blender. I was so upset with Gabe for not wearing ear plugs at MBV at Coachella. I don't understand why someone would put themselves through that when you know it will harm you in the future. I've even worn ear plugs at Swell Season if I'm sitting too close to a speaker. You're killing the one thing you need to continue doing what you love to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

ha, those look almost identical to the non-custom Etymologics. but, i bet they are 20% cheaper (although you can find the E-9's on eBay for really cheap now).