View Poll Results: how often do you wear earplugs at concerts?

Voters
340. You may not vote on this poll
  • never

133 39.12%
  • usually never, but I'll make the odd exception

85 25.00%
  • 25%

18 5.29%
  • 50%

29 8.53%
  • 75%

42 12.35%
  • always

33 9.71%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: earplugs?

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Default Re: earplugs?

I wish I had for A Place To Bury Strangers and My Bloody Valentine in the past 12 months. That was a bit much. Otherwise it's rarely a concern, though it probably should be.

Does it mess up the sound too much?

With the cheap $15 earplugs I tend to use, yes it does mess up the sound. Although, it's still better than going deaf. I hear you can get custom ones that preserve sound quality.

Also, in the past year, I have probably moved from the 50% category to the 75% category, for the record.

I never use earplugs. Not for MBV, APTBS, Black Dice at ATP, so many other loud shows. I really should start, I always had hearing problems as a kid. Combine that with the shows, it can't be good. I think I'll get a somewhat decent pair before Coachella.

I saw The Mars Volta in Ventura last Summer and the sound at the venue was horrendous. I spent the whole show in agony and couldn't really enjoy the show at all. I couldn't hardly hear out of my left ear for 3 days. I bring earplugs to every show now, but I actually have not needed them since. I later saw TMV at The Palladium and the sound was fantastic, needed no plugs.

I guess i bring them in case the sound is awful.

Im bringing earplugs simply because it may help me catch some shut-eye in the campgrounds. Who knows though
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

I wore some ear plugs for APTBS, but I took them off about halfway into the first song, because they were ruining everything. And I was upfront at the stage.

I wore ear plugs for all of My Bloody Valentine's Coachella performance though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I wore ear plugs for all of My Bloody Valentine's Coachella performance though.
    Same
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Im bringing earplugs simply because it may help me catch some shut-eye in the campgrounds. Who knows though
    Me too-- this is a must.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Earplugs inserted into each nostril are a must when visiting the stinking port-o-crappers.

I used earplugs at NASCAR in Phoenix last night. Jeff Gordon #24 came in 2nd place.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Any of you younger folk, I really advise you start wearing earplugs. Old folk, you're probably lost causes now.

I used to think earplugs were "stupid" and "not alt"...but after being diagnosed with tinnitus, finding out how far down my frequency range is than most people AND having a serious discrepancy between my left and my right ears' ability to hear, I swear by earplugs. I want to save what little I have left.

I can't have decent conversations anymore. I always have to ask people to speak up

WEAR EARPLUGS, GODDAMNIT.

why are people so ignorant about this kinda stuff? i have been wearing earplugs pretty much since i started going to shows as a teenager.

and who doesn't protect their hearing because they think it "isn't cool"? that is the most retarded thing i have ever read.

you wear the ugliest f'n sunglasses, but you were worried people would judge you for wearing little plugs in your ears?
    Last edited by JustSteve; 04-11-2010 at 03:38 PM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post

you wear the ugliest f'n sunglasses, but you were worried people would judge you for wearing little plugs in your ears?
    ha!

hows the health holdin up?
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

meh, could be better...but i'm not going to worry about anything until after coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    1. there was a lot of sarcasm in that

2. i was talking about when i was like, 12, and would make fun of my mom for wearing earplugs. when you're 12, they seem fucking goofy. and yes, i have friends who say "man, earplugs are stooooopid. it ruins the sound."

tell them to spend $180 and get some quality custom earplugs that will last forever. small price to pay...and they actually make the music sound better by cutting out some of the highs and lows that distort what's coming out of the speakers.

I have custom earplugs and they are fucking awesome.

high five.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    I have custom earplugs and they are fucking awesome.
    Lucky. However, I bought Alpine ones for $30 and they are damn close to the feel of the costume ones (before mine bit the dust...)
    "Without music life would be a mistake" ~Nietzsche

Being a drummer I can tell you that hearing loss is no joke. I wasn't planning on attending MBV but alas, found myself there and had my hands over my ears for the entire last never ending song.

Also, Roni Size I needed earplugs in a serious way.

Generally, I don't wear them unless the sound is absurd and/or the highs are piercing. Or if I'm playing drums.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by Leeartlee View Post
    Lucky. However, I bought Alpine ones for $30 and they are damn close to the feel of the costume ones (before mine bit the dust...)
    Ah, but I got my custom earplugs for free. I still win.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    I wasn't planning on attending MBV but alas, found myself there and had my hands over my ears for the entire last never ending song.
    I thought people in the beer garden by the Sahara had to cover their ears during that last song. That My Bloody Valentine set was the only show in the last five years I've used plugs for. To say the Public Enemy set on the Outdoor Stage had sound bleed would be a hilarious understatement.

I try to always wear earplugs to shows. The challenge is just remembering to bring them. I keep an extra pair in my camera bag now, so that helps.

On a related subject, anybody want child-sized ear plugs? I have a pair I bought accidentally a while ago when I wasn't paying attention, and I will send them to you because I hate wasting stuff.

A Place to Bury Strangers definitely warranted earplugs. I didn't need them for MBV at Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I almost always wear earplugs, but I didn't last night at Bush & Eminem & I so regret it today.
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I try to always wear earplugs to shows. The challenge is just remembering to bring them. I keep an extra pair in my camera bag now, so that helps.

On a related subject, anybody want child-sized ear plugs? I have a pair I bought accidentally a while ago when I wasn't paying attention, and I will send them to you because I hate wasting stuff.
    Send them to Amyzz, cause regular earplugs are too big for her.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Send them to Amyzz, cause regular earplugs are too big for her.
    She needs her ear holes stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    A Place to Bury Strangers definitely warranted earplugs. I didn't need them for MBV at Coachella.
    That is really saying something. I had a couple of girls pawing me after the MBV show, thanking me for the earplugs I gave them and making them aware of the holocaust. I really like a Place To Bury Strangers too. Interesting.

Edit- Btw, I think I already said this, but I would never go to a rock concert without earplugs. I have constant ringing and loss of hearing in my right ear. It has a lot to do with loud music. I do not feel I have lost anything on the "experience" at a show by wearing earplugs. That is rubbish.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 09-26-2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I really don't want to re-hash the "I didn't think it was that loud" argument, but I really didn't think it was. An indoors MBV show would be a different story.
    Also, when I saw APTBS it was in a tiny venue... didn't see them at Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I really don't want to re-hash the "I didn't think it was that loud" argument, but I really didn't think it was. An indoors MBV show would be a different story.
    Also, when I saw APTBS it was in a tiny venue... didn't see them at Coachella.
    You may not "think" it was all that loud. Do it to yourself enough times and talk to me when you're my age. It DOES matter.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen