View Poll Results: how often do you wear earplugs at concerts?

Voters
340. You may not vote on this poll
  • never

133 39.12%
  • usually never, but I'll make the odd exception

85 25.00%
  • 25%

18 5.29%
  • 50%

29 8.53%
  • 75%

42 12.35%
  • always

33 9.71%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: earplugs?

Default Re: earplugs?

After going to Coachella for the first time this year and listening to Aphex Twin/Pendulum/Fat Boy Slim in the Sahara tent, my virgin ears got raped. I figured the experience was worth whatever hit I may have took in permanent high-spectrum hearing loss and occasional ringing, but figure I might as well take precautions for future Coachellas. My eyes are already crap, so I'd rather not have crappy hearing too.

I'm preparing for next year by getting some Etymotic ER-25 custom-fit musicians earplugs that supposedly do a good job at not distorting music. Going to an audiologist to get a custom mold of my ear canal and buy some of these babies. Worth the money? We'll see. Now from what I hear earplugs will help protect you, but the Mastoid bone near your ears act kind of like a tuning fork to vibrations and loud sounds can still be damaging, thus earmuffs might help shield that area where earplugs won't. So a combination of both is probably the best but you would sure look like a dork with big earmuffs on unless that style catches on. So basically I'm going to try and not get too close to the speakers, wear some plugs and take a break from the tents once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    my virgin ears got raped.
    maybe Salah mistook you for Beck

lol.... I never wear ear plugs...but my hearing has def decreased with all these concerts... loudest craziest concert was Gogol at the Metro... my ears were perma fucked for 16h at least... couldnt hear shit from what my girlfriend was saying right next to me after the show.
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Never have, probably never will but who knows? My ears rang for almost a day after MBV but it wasn't too problematic.

I used to never wear them, but as the years went on the ringing after shows lasted longer and longer... the thought of losing the one single thing that allows me to hear music is scary. I wear them at every show now. My girlfriend and I bring a couple of extra pairs and offer them to people we see with their fingers in their ears.

I wear them if I go to metal shows.

The loudest for me was Tool at Gammage, that gong is still reverberating deep in my brain....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Never felt the need for them, but I've got some old shooting ear plugs somewhere, and if I get going to somebody like Gogol Bordello or whoever I'd consider bringing them.

earplugs are for old people and little girls plain and simple

Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTRUCK View Post
    earplugs are for old people and little girls plain and simple
    couldnt have said it better myself. those same little girls that cant handle their jager also wear earplugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Know what I like about music? Hearing it.

Although I know of a deaf girl who was a big gig fan. She tried to explain how she actually "experienced" the music to me a couple of times, but I never quite worked it out. Pretty cool.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    couldnt have said it better myself. those same little girls that cant handle their jager also wear earplugs
    I hate jager. it's for sissies. it tastes like moudly licorice.
    I use earplugs when I'm drumming- even just a few years of drumming without hearing protection will make you go partially deaf.
    one thing I like about coachella is that the engineers know what they're doing. they can get up to a really high sound pressure level, without the kind of distortion and high-frequency noise that causes everyone's favorite auditory condition: tinnitus. even after kraftwerk, and aphex, two incredibly loud sets, I didn't have any ringing in my ears.

LOL.....evertime i see somebody with ear plugs at a show it make me lose respect for them right off the bat.

LOL.....evertime i see somebody with ear plugs at a show it make me lose respect for them right off the bat.
    this is stupid, dude.
    everyone's inner ear is constructed differently. some people go deaf at lower volumes.
    if they're wearing little orange construction plugs, laugs all you want. but someone rocking musician's plugs or ultimate ears is obviously such a big music fan that they want to preserve their hearing.

Back when I was in the Army Reserve, we had to do a shitload of regular mandatory hearing tests, to make sure we weren't going deaf enough to sue, and the effect a show had on your hearing was right there on the chart. Left me very conscious of my hearing.

I just don't want to be the old lady yelling at the damn kids to repeat themselves all the time, so I don't discount the notion of earplugs completely.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    this is stupid, dude.
    everyone's inner ear is constructed differently. some people go deaf at lower volumes.
    if they're wearing little orange construction plugs, laugs all you want. but someone rocking musician's plugs or ultimate ears is obviously such a big music fan that they want to preserve their hearing.
    Dont care, if you cant handle loud music go home and listen to it on your ipod........

Laugh all you want, Headstruck, they can't hear you. It's like a real life Ignore button!

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Laugh all you want, Headstruck, they can't hear you. It's like a real life Ignore button!
    LOL

Dont care, if you cant handle loud music go home and listen to it on your ipod........
    you're a moron.

I've spent five years playing in bands, going to concerts, working sound and lights at concerts, and more recently, DJing. I can fucking handle loud music.
    did you not just read what I said about not wearing plugs through being up front at aphex twin?
    wait, of course you didn't read it. you're an idiot. soon to be a deaf idiot. I didn't even say I wore plugs at concerts ONCE. honestly, you fucking idiotic people... how hard is it to read what you're allegedly responding to? you are what's wrong with humanity: unabridged, unabashed ignorance and laziness. you are responsible for 9/11.

I wore earplugs at a couple of raves. It was a trick my friend showed me where you twist the foam kind & stick it in. The sound you get is cleaner.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    the only cocks I suck belong to black women.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    We use the term "Off-roading" when we wanna go down on a guy with a freakish bush. "Randy, should I throw some Nair to my patch?" "Nah, brah, I wanna go off-roading"

he can't hear you. he's deaf. also, he apparently can't read.

That's like being deaf in the eyes.

I think they have a word for that... shit...

now wait for headstruck to come back tell everyone that it's okay to look straight at a solar eclipse

Who said that? Hello? Who's... who's there?

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    you're a moron.

I've spent five years playing in bands, going to concerts, working sound and lights at concerts, and more recently, DJing. I can fucking handle loud music.
    did you not just read what I said about not wearing plugs through being up front at aphex twin?
    wait, of course you didn't read it. you're an idiot. soon to be a deaf idiot. I didn't even say I wore plugs at concerts ONCE. honestly, you fucking idiotic people... how hard is it to read what you're allegedly responding to? you are what's wrong with humanity: unabridged, unabashed ignorance and laziness. you are responsible for 9/11.
    HAHA....9/11?? HAHA ooohhh 5 years you been around so so long haha....I NEVER said you wore them dumbass.......BTW playing on tracktor is not djing

Earplugs. We can't even talk about earplugs.

Pilgrim! You're on quite the rampage today! Que paso?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I've never heard of "tracktor", and ocne again, you ahve no idea what you're talking about.
    I assume you've read the dance all weekend thread and are assuming that based on my plans for a freaking camprgound, that I only spin digital. you're completely wrong, but seeing as you're mentally handicapped, I won't continue the discussion.

and yes, people like you are responsible for 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by allyjoy View Post
    I wore earplugs at a couple of raves. It was a trick my friend showed me where you twist the foam kind & stick it in. The sound you get is cleaner.
    you lose 8 points my love

ask headstruck why he'd being an idiot and making idiotic blanket statements about people using hearing protection based on maintaining his own mental fallacy.
    fucking meth-head piece of shit

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    the only cocks I suck belong to black women.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    We use the term "Off-roading" when we wanna go down on a guy with a freakish bush. "Randy, should I throw some Nair to my patch?" "Nah, brah, I wanna go off-roading"