View Poll Results: how often do you wear earplugs at concerts?

Voters
340. You may not vote on this poll
  • never

133 39.12%
  • usually never, but I'll make the odd exception

85 25.00%
  • 25%

18 5.29%
  • 50%

29 8.53%
  • 75%

42 12.35%
  • always

33 9.71%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: earplugs?

Default Re: earplugs?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    YEAH! FUCK YOU GUYS THAT WANT TO PROTECT YOUR HEARING AT THE EXPENSE OF SOME HIGH END FREQUENCY LOSS! YOU RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE!
    You can protect your ears without re-equalizing everything with foam.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    is it just me that thinks these look painful? I don't quite understand how that is supposed to be worn.

Quote Originally Posted by goodgrl View Post
    I actually asked for a referral to get my hearing checked. I know I have totally screwed up my hearing from many years of loud concerts. I am short so I would squeeze up to the front.To avoid being trampled I would stand over to the sides which meant I was usually pressed up a speaker.
    At this point I dont know if wearing earplugs would make much of a difference.
    To all ya' youngens out there I would reccomend the earplugs.
    when you say you know you've screwed it up, how do you mean? do you have noticeable problems with your hearing? I hope you don't mind me asking.

my dad has the 12Db B2s and he swears by them. I tried them out when I saw U2 with him and they seem like a good solution without making everything sound muffled. I think they were under 50$ too once you got the ear mold (my dad did that for 10$ at Costco).

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    is it just me that thinks these look painful? I don't quite understand how that is supposed to be worn
    The cone part goes in the ear. You'll know when it's right (hopefully). i never had comfort issues. You can clean them with soap and water for reusing.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

is it just me that thinks these look painful? I don't quite understand how that is supposed to be worn.

when you say you know you've screwed it up, how do you mean? do you have noticeable problems with your hearing? I hope you don't mind me asking.
    I cant speak for the good girl, but I have an intermittent ringing in my right ear. It comes and goes, but usually doesn't last for too long. I will also get rushes of white noise every now and then. Also also, I have lost most of my high frequency range, past about 14-16k Hz. So I am on the earplugs all the time team.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I thought I had lost a ton of hearing, but then I took a hearing test and I can still hear past 18k. I get a similar white noise rush from time to time though. I figure the loss is coming though. however, I have a friend who is working on hearing and nano tech... So I'm counting on him being smart. If I were wealthier I would get some nice ear-plugs...

I still have high frequencies like woah, but I have mild tinnitus that doesn't ever fade. It's really low and not noticeable unless I'm somewhere very quiet, but nonetheless it's there, and it scares me.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    I thought I had lost a ton of hearing, but then I took a hearing test and I can still hear past 18k. I get a similar white noise rush from time to time though. I figure the loss is coming though. however, I have a friend who is working on hearing and nano tech... So I'm counting on him being smart. If I were wealthier I would get some nice ear-plugs...
    There is virtually no one who can hear past 18K.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I never go to a show w/out earplugs. I always carry extras too as people always stop and ask where did I get them and do I have some more ?

I'm 34 now and went to my first show at 17 so that's a long time to be beating on your hearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    There is virtually no one who can hear past 18K.
    That's not true at all. The biggest problem with testing anything past 18K though, is that the person can virtually always hear the speaker cycle.

I can't hear.

I usually stick to the back of the crowd where I have room to dance, drink, smoke, dance some more, and can even leave to take a piss and then come back to the same spot I was at with my friends. Oh ya, and ear plugs aren't necessary back there because the volume isn't overpowering. Hearing damage, the discomfort of foam in the ear along with distortion of the art, or some combo there of is probably worth squeezing up close and swapping sweat with the masses though.

i think i'm going to start using them from now on. more and more i have to ask people to repeat themselves. not good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    <3.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    The cone part goes in the ear. You'll know when it's right (hopefully). i never had comfort issues. You can clean them with soap and water for reusing.
    so is the other part left hanging out of your ear?!? wouldn't that look a little odd?

also, I'm curious to hear colorado ron's input on this... he seems to have more years of ear-bashing than anybody else here.

so is the other part left hanging out of your ear?!? wouldn't that look a little odd?

also, I'm curious to hear colorado ron's input on this... he seems to have more years of ear-bashing than anybody else here.
    It does look odd; but i look odd...so it all goes together.

In my avatar picture, i'm wearing them. There is a way to see that picture HUGE, but i don't know if i can take the responsibility of causing some sort of terror heart failure.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    You can protect your ears without re-equalizing everything with foam.
    Attenuated earplugs > foam earplugs > tissues or somesuch >> nothing at all
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I wear earlove (from Insound), which looks and works just like any hi-fidelity earplugs except I think they're cheapest at $11 a pop.

Never, but I probably should.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

and does anyone know anyone that has actually damaged their hearing from a lifetime of concerts without earplugs?
    i damaged my hearing from going to too many shows back when i was in ninth grade and ive had to live with it since. dont risk it. its not worth it. just wear earplugs kidds, i would give anything to have my hearing back
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

I've got some hearing loss myself-I'm pretty sure I can attribute it to listening to my Walkman (yes, Walkman) too loud when I was a kid and going to too many concerts without earplugs.

I was just perusing through our Ground Operations Manual, and it says that loud rock concerts produce about 120dbs of sound, while the sound of a jet engine at takeoff produces about 140dbs of sound. That's pretty close.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 01-15-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Um, decibels or dB, not kb.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannibul View Post
    It was NOT over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

Whoops...haha. I'll edit it, thanks.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

If you are unhappy with the muffled sound of cheap foam earplugs, try pulling them just a little bit out of your ear. By playing around with their positioning, you can acheive a happy medium without breaking the bank on pricier alternatives. They do sell foam earplugs inside Coach, but beware of them selling out.
    On a side note, I was wearing earplugs up front and center for Daft Punk in 06, and it was so loud that I kept checking to see if my earplugs had fallen out

I try to always wear earplugs but sometimes I forget and end up sticking in some kleenex. Kleenex sucks. I remembered for Coachella last year and I was SO glad I had them for Bjork. We ended up very close to one of the speaker stacks and it was so fucking loud. I don't know how anyone could hear anything.

I just bought some nice earplugs so hopefully I'll remember to bring them. I'm more worried about tinnitus than hearing loss - I already have a slight ringing in my ears on a day to day basis - I can't imagine it getting worse

Don't see much earplug usage over here - a few thousand gigs/ rehersals later and i can still hear damn fine (a tiny bit of damage to my right ear at a !!! gig a few years back, but hardly noticeable)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I forgot to take earplugs to Melt-Banana at the Troubadour.
    One of my biggest regrets in life.

so bummed, i lost my customs! thinking about getting a new pair, though. think i will go with these:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

have a local office that will do the molds and i will pop in the etymotic filters, nice!

http://www.newportaudiology.com/prod...ails.php?id=32

I need to get myself a professional pair of earplugs.