View Poll Results: how often do you wear earplugs at concerts?

Voters
340. You may not vote on this poll
  • never

133 39.12%
  • usually never, but I'll make the odd exception

85 25.00%
  • 25%

18 5.29%
  • 50%

29 8.53%
  • 75%

42 12.35%
  • always

33 9.71%
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: earplugs?

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default earplugs?

ok, I'm curious who here wears earplugs to concerts, and how frequently. I never wear earplugs, but I sometimes see others wearing them. I don't particularly like the idea, but then again I don't like the idea of going deaf either. with the volume of concerts some of us go to (and mine pales in comparison to some board members) the thought must have crossed most people's minds.

so how often do you wear earplugs at concerts? of those of you who never wear earplugs, don't you worry about damaging your hearing?

and does anyone know anyone that has actually damaged their hearing from a lifetime of concerts without earplugs?
    Last edited by shakermaker113; 01-13-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: earplugs?

I wear earplugs at loud concerts & all NASCAR events. No one has ever commented, except to say, "Where did you buy those", or "Do you have extras?" So now I take extras in case someone should ask.

I remember years ago (about 1983) going to a Ramones concert in Chicago, and the sound was so loud that my ears hurt & all I heard at the concert was distortion. Insulation from the ceiling was falling down from the vibrations. My hearing probably took a good hit at that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I am going to start using them from now on...the only time I ever really used them was when I saw Merzbow and Aphex Twin @ ATP UCLA...and it was more because it really hurt...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I really should wear earplugs more often.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

On this subject...does anyone know if Coach gives them out or do you have to buy them? I never really looked...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I've never seen them give them out. I've seen people stick paper in their ears, but that can actually be more harmful than helpful.
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

i always wear them, have for over 10 years. best out right now are hearos high fidelity, run about $15. basically just turn the volume down without losing any quality, highs and lows are still there.

i have some custom plugs, too, but these are usually what i use these days.

People often hand them out in front of the main gates and in the parking lots as little promos. I don't wear them but I really should. First time I felt like I really needed them was Dinosaur Jr. at the Troubador. That was a loud show.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i always wear them, have for over 10 years. best out right now are hearos high fidelity, run about $15. basically just turn the volume down without losing any quality, highs and lows are still there.

i have some custom plugs, too, but these are usually what i use these days.
    Nice, good choice. I heard those are good. I was going to get custom ones a long time ago but couldnt afford it at the time.

I use these, they get the job done and I dont really notice an insane sound difference like crap ones give you and you lose something when you are listening to a band play.

The best ones I have found are rated at 33dB attenuation - that's what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by noisemachine View Post
    First time I felt like I really needed them was Dinosaur Jr. at the Troubador. That was a loud show.
    I have some custom fitted ones that i use whenever i play guitar at really loud volumes but the only time i ever used them for a show was for dinosaur jr. and lightning bolt. I may use them for MBV if they end up playing...I used to use cigarette butts when i was a kid...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The best ones I have found are rated at 33dB attenuation - that's what I use.

Just cause it reduces a lto of Db's doesnt mean they are going to work for everyone. Some people need a little more protection than others, apparently you do.

I will sometimes. I used to have some nice ones from Etymotic (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx) that were more or less crap until the day one broke off in my ear and I spent 20 minutes alternating between trying to remove it and being afraid that I would actually have to go to a hospital or some shit because I had half of an earplug stuck in my ear (I got it out, though).

I usually just get cheap foam ones, and even then I usually wear them just for opening acts or bands I don't really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    I have some custom fitted ones that i use whenever i play guitar at really loud volumes but the only time i ever used them for a show was for dinosaur jr. and lightning bolt. I may use them for MBV if they end up playing...I used to use cigarette butts when i was a kid...
    Cigarette butts sound really, really painful nipples.

i am a heros user (the funny looking cone ones with the stick). i will always use them when i am close. i give it a shot without them first in that situation, but once i feel or sense anything that might lead to that scary ringing agter the show, in they go. i'll mess with the stick to change the sound at certain points.

When my photo equipment got ripped off, my ear plugs were in the bag. The next show i went to i used the toilet paper solution. When all else fails, not a bad way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I will sometimes. I used to have some nice ones from Etymotic (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx) that were more or less crap until the day one broke off in my ear and I spent 20 minutes alternating between trying to remove it and being afraid that I would actually have to go to a hospital or some shit because I had half of an earplug stuck in my ear (I got it out, though).

I usually just get cheap foam ones, and even then I usually wear them just for opening acts or bands I don't really care about.

i just bought those exact same earplugs, so are they nice or more or less crap? i dont want those broken in my ear, haha.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

I've never used them and don't intend to anytime soon, but I also don't like being up at the front for shows unless the crowd is reasonably small.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

wear earplugs to merzbow? crazy...

I have those etymotic ones as well, much better than the foam ones. I find with the foam ones im constantly thinking about how it sounds muffled, I dont notice the etymotics.

I buy them in advance then forget to take them to the shows more then often. My eyes are already fucked, so I may as well screw up my ears too.
    Up Next: Cobra Starship, Gogol Bordello, Talib Kweli & Jean Grae

I wear them to almost every show. I usually gauge whether the volume is going to hurt my ears and go from there. So, more than 75% of the time, but less that 100%. I wear them at every band practice and performance too, because we like to rock.

Memorial_07

depends on who you're seeing.........
    If you're going to a Ministry show, wearing ear plugs or not becomes pointless.
    Its so fucking loud

I actually asked for a referral to get my hearing checked. I know I have totally screwed up my hearing from many years of loud concerts. I am short so I would squeeze up to the front.To avoid being trampled I would stand over to the sides which meant I was usually pressed up a speaker.
    At this point I dont know if wearing earplugs would make much of a difference.
    To all ya' youngens out there I would reccomend the earplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    ok, I'm curious who here wears earplugs to concerts, and how frequently. I never wear earplugs, but I sometimes see others wearing them. I don't particularly like the idea, but then again I don't like the idea of going deaf either. with the volume of concerts some of us go to (and mine pales in comparison to some board members) the thought must have crossed most people's minds.

so how often do you wear earplugs at concerts? of those of you who never wear earplugs, don't you worry about damaging your hearing?

and does anyone know anyone that has actually damaged their hearing from a lifetime of concerts without earplugs?
    HUH?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

People that wear cheap foam earphones should stay at home so people that actually give a damn about the way things sound can enjoy the music.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

YEAH! FUCK YOU GUYS THAT WANT TO PROTECT YOUR HEARING AT THE EXPENSE OF SOME HIGH END FREQUENCY LOSS! YOU RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I'm doing it more and more. I never used to wear them, but I can notice my hearing getting worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

YEAH WELL FUCK YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I have been unable to find any musician's earplugs locally and I have failed to procure them from online sources.

So I am using cheap foam ones. When I remember them and/or can purchase them at the venue. Which is probably more than 75% of the time but that's close enough that it got my vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Also Brandon you don't have to yell, we'ren't wearing earplugs now.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.