Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT HERE PEOPLE

Default Re: LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT HERE PEOPLE

I've seen RHCP twice, and I thought they were good both times. I just have no motive to see them at all again.

Lurker

Default LETS GET THIS STRAIGHT HERE PEOPLE

I could'nt help but notice everyone on here griping about the Red Hot Chili Peppers playing. I mean, that just doesn't make sense to me. They're one of the best BANDS playing live music right now (in a class with Radiohead, Wilco, the White Stripes). How could you not appreciate a chance to see them. Maybe you're upset becaue they've played before? or you've seen them already, since they have toured a lot recently. But I missed my last couple chances to see them and can't wait for their performace at Coachella. We don't have too many noble bands in the rock n' roll category to be proud of in this generation, but the red hot chili peppers continue to make good music, music worth hearing.
    but obviously after Bjork plays none of this will matter all that much

Woah, what happened?? mikediamond's post was first. If anyone is reading this, flip it around. He was the thread starter.

yeah woogie I just noticed that

bizarre

I've not been moaning, but if I had been it would be because they've turned into boring middle of the road adult orientated predictable emotionless foam

They should have quit after one hot minute

shame it was a hilltop not a plateau!

I'll probably go and watch them though

:]

maybe it's because every album sounds the same. maybe it's because every live performance sounds the same. maybe it's because everyone is fucking tired of the peppers. maybe some of us never liked them to begin with.

maybe all of the above.

yeah I just noticed that

bizarre

i'd totally see them if they signed a contract agreeing to play Mother's Milk from start to finish and nothing more. (maybe a few gems from Uplift for the encore, but seriously, THAT'S IT.)

Quote Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post
    I could'nt help but notice everyone on here griping about the Red Hot Chili Peppers playing. I mean, that just doesn't make sense to me. They're one of the best BANDS playing live music right now (in a class with Radiohead, Wilco, the White Stripes). How could you not appreciate a chance to see them. Maybe you're upset becaue they've played before? or you've seen them already, since they have toured a lot recently. But I missed my last couple chances to see them and can't wait for their performace at Coachella. We don't have too many noble bands in the rock n' roll category to be proud of in this generation, but the red hot chili peppers continue to make good music, music worth hearing.
    but obviously after Bjork plays none of this will matter all that much
    In a class with Radiohead and Wilco? Please tell me you are kidding.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by joebizz View Post
    as a live band yes,

they're miles and miles from Radiohead

as a live band yes
    fired. from... whatever you do.

I've never seen them live, but wouldn't mind. I will have no problem missing them if they clash with Tiesto though.

Couldn't agree with this comment more, I groaned when he said in the same class with Radiohead and wilco

my thoughts exactly.

Minus the fact Radiohead always sounds flawless and their songs all sound variably different.

They're one of the best BANDS playing live music right now (in a class with Radiohead, Wilco, the White Stripes).
    Radiohead... eeeehh I can see how a lot of people would think that. They are reeeally good, but I don't know about one of the 3 best.

But The White Stripes? Seriously?? Out of everything I've read on this board, I could not disagree with any other statement more than this one.

maybe theyre really good live, but if i think their music is annoying why should i go see them?

seriously ppl need to stop hating on them. i dont get why they have an electric on stage personality.

saw them in small venue in Anaheim in 80s and it was pretty amazing & I was the oldest one there, probably. they were edgy then, they arent now. my kids both hate them for being so commercial and the lyrics being so goofy....my dylanization has perhaps rubbed off tho they hate him, too. am fulfilling a kids dream by going sunday or I would want no part of any of this but music is good and can deal with most of it---Teddybears is pleasant surprise for me. its people games u got to dodge
    wish I was going saturday for RHCP

was 12 when 1st woodstock went off

now for me, i have seen the chili peppers before, back in 92 and they were good (actually was lucky enough to see them from the side of the stage at lollapalooza) and they were good but they suck now. i wont complain about them because that means hopefully a good bulk of the people will not see the others performing at that time and maybe there will be space enough to see others...

Quote Originally Posted by Toothpick View Post
    If RHCP played some of their songs from previous albums, would you be more likely to go see them?
    I would.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

My friends and I gonna go see RHCP too.

A question for those of you that don't want to see them, answer me this:

If RHCP played some of their songs from previous albums, would you be more likely to go see them?

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

anyone who doubts the chilis live abilities does not know what they are talking about

anyone who doubts the depth of their lyrical content (old or new, with obvious sex and drug based exceptions) does not know what they are talking about

anyone who doubts their musical ability, or who thinks that their newly achieved status of being listed with bands like radiohead in terms of impact and creativity is not deserved, does not know what they are talking about.

to anyone who just doesn't like their music, that's fine with me and I'm sure it's fine with them too. they don't make you listen.

to anyone who has simply had their fill of the peppers and is ready to move on: that's fine, everyone changes, and it's nobody's business to tell them not to. in that respect, please don't try and deflate their integrity or ability as artists, especially not in a way that's obviously intended to stop people from watching their performance. just because you're satiated and ready to dump them like an old girlfriend doesn't mean that everyone else feels that way, and it doesn't suddenly make them suck. you're just not interested anymore. great. more room in front of the stage for people who can still feel that connection with the band and their music.

in shorts, and I guess this extends to the stupid RATM selling out or not argument that I've had to listen to since I was like freaking ten years old, I think the only people who are "wrong" in either argument are the people that mistake personal disinterest or dislike for a lack of artistic ability or integrity. and those people are what rational and reasonable people call "douchebags". or "pricks". or tools. take your pick.

Frozen Pilgrim, you are so right on..

Default For all you fools. That is unless you like pop!

Silly Rabbit, RHCP are nothing but another POP band now. Just like damn near everything else on the radio these days. Hmmmmm played on the same station as Britney Spears.....Cooool!

"anyone who doubts their musical ability, or who thinks that their newly achieved status of being listed with bands like radiohead in terms of impact and creativity is not deserved, does not know what they are talking about."

yawn... I'd love to hear, in specific, non-generalized terms, how RHCP has been creatively impactful.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    anyone who doubts the chilis live abilities does not know what they are talking about

anyone who doubts the depth of their lyrical content (old or new, with obvious sex and drug based exceptions) does not know what they are talking about

anyone who doubts their musical ability, or who thinks that their newly achieved status of being listed with bands like radiohead in terms of impact and creativity is not deserved, does not know what they are talking about.

to anyone who just doesn't like their music, that's fine with me and I'm sure it's fine with them too. they don't make you listen.

to anyone who has simply had their fill of the peppers and is ready to move on: that's fine, everyone changes, and it's nobody's business to tell them not to. in that respect, please don't try and deflate their integrity or ability as artists, especially not in a way that's obviously intended to stop people from watching their performance. just because you're satiated and ready to dump them like an old girlfriend doesn't mean that everyone else feels that way, and it doesn't suddenly make them suck. you're just not interested anymore. great. more room in front of the stage for people who can still feel that connection with the band and their music.

in shorts, and I guess this extends to the stupid RATM selling out or not argument that I've had to listen to since I was like freaking ten years old, I think the only people who are "wrong" in either argument are the people that mistake personal disinterest or dislike for a lack of artistic ability or integrity. and those people are what rational and reasonable people call "douchebags". or "pricks". or tools. take your pick.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    "anyone who doubts their musical ability, or who thinks that their newly achieved status of being listed with bands like radiohead in terms of impact and creativity is not deserved, does not know what they are talking about."

yawn... I'd love to hear, in specific, non-generalized terms, how RHCP has been creatively impactful.
    well, for eaxmple:
    flea was a pioneer in bringing into a rock context the two-motion funk bass technique of thumb tapping and hard popping with the third and even fourth finger, which since the chilis explosion of fame in the nineties has become a mainstay in funk metal, funk rock, and even some categories of heavy metal, which use a variation on the technique involving a double pop.

john frusciante is a leader and a groundbreaker in terms of his ingenuity in the studio with manipulating vintage analog tape, effectively turning the entire studio into a guitar effect. (for example, who doesn't like the eerie, sparse, reversed and looped guitar sounds on radiohead's hail to the thief? they made the album what it was. listen to john's solo work. he's been doing it for more than a decade). or listen to what sounds like a chorus of horns on 'charlie'. all john. also, his sparse, deliberate style of soloing that's prominent on tracks like I could have lied and scar tissue has opened the door for guitarists to once again be emotionally expressive and creative as opposed to just fast and technical.

chad smith's crossover of funk and rock rhythm played with a hard-striking metal technique is almost unique to him, although it's a much sought after sound and therefore imitated by house band and session musicians everywhere.

anthony kiedis is not known for his pushing of boundaries, except his own. but you have to commend him for overcoming a crack addiciton in his late thirties and rebounding to the best vocal performance level of his life.

don't try and freaking be condescending and dismissive with someone who's a serious musician as well as a music lover.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    well, for eaxmple:
    flea was a pioneer in bringing into a rock context the two-motion funk bass technique of thumb tapping and hard popping with the third and even fourth finger, which since the chilis explosion of fame in the nineties has become a mainstay in funk metal, funk rock, and even some categories of heavy metal, which use a variation on the technique involving a double pop.
    I guess I can sort of give this to you

john frusciante is a leader and a groundbreaker in terms of his ingenuity in the studio with manipulating vintage analog tape, effectively turning the entire studio into a guitar effect. (for example, who doesn't like the eerie, sparse, reversed and looped guitar sounds on radiohead's hail to the thief? they made the album what it was. listen to john's solo work. he's been doing it for more than a decade). or listen to what sounds like a chorus of horns on 'charlie'. all john. also, his sparse, deliberate style of soloing that's prominent on tracks like I could have lied and scar tissue has opened the door for guitarists to once again be emotionally expressive and creative as opposed to just fast and technical.
    Ever heard of The Beatles? George Martin was manipulating tape before there was any other option.

chad smith's crossover of funk and rock rhythm played with a hard-striking metal technique is almost unique to him, although it's a much sought after sound and therefore imitated by house band and session musicians everywhere.
    Chad's a funk drummer. Plain and simple. He's really good at it, but I wouldn't consider him any kind of pioneer.

anthony kiedis is not known for his pushing of boundaries, except his own. but you have to commend him for overcoming a crack addiciton in his late thirties and rebounding to the best vocal performance level of his life.
    best vocal performance of his life? the guy has never been a singer. If he was smart he would've stuck with his funk-rapping style that he's good at.

don't try and freaking be condescending and dismissive with someone who's a serious musician as well as a music lover.
    I know this wasn't directed toward me, but as a pre-emptive...I consider myself both a serious musician AND a music lover.

i want to see them