View Poll Results: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - SOUND AND MOTION VS. SUMMER SOULSTICE

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sound and Motion Festival

27 34.18%
  • Summer Soulstice Festival

52 65.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - SOUND AND MOTION VS. SUMMER SOULSTICE

Default CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - SOUND AND MOTION VS. SUMMER SOULSTICE

Create A Festival - Round #3 - Sound and Motion Festival vs. Summer Soulstice

Okay, here is the fourth match of the third round. You're voting on which festival you like the best. Take into account any type of factor(s) you want. Which bands you like the best. The location. The ticket price. The extras. Pretend if you had one choice of going to a festival, and you were gonna spend your money on one of these, which would it be? Whatever the case, you're voting one of these into the next round!

Voting will last 3 days, and you're only allowed to vote if you have 200 posts or more (votes are public, so I'll know, so don't waste your time if you have less than 200 - unless you've entered a poster yourself). And NO alias voting. If I even suspect you to be an alias, you're votes won't count (sorry bug, abe, granny and more).

Please note, the winner of this round will move onto Round 4, which is the first round that will start including set times...so reminder: WHOEVER WINS THIS CONTEST, REMEMBER YOU SUBMIT SETTIMES FOR THE NEXT ROUND (I'LL EMAIL YOU INFO).

Choice #1

Sound and Motion Festival

Ticket Price: $200.00
    Reunion Band: Leftfield
    Onsite Camping
    No Noise Curfew
    Open Taping
    Ferris Wheel

Choice #2

Summer Soulstice

Ticket Price: $197.00
    Onsite Camping
    No Noise Curfew
    Open Taping

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - SOUND AND MOTION VS. SUMMER SOULSTICE

Enough with the ferris wheels kids.

S.S. gets my vote. Was a close one until I saw the Ferris wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND #3 - SOUND AND MOTION VS. SUMMER SOULSTICE

MassAttack, Portishead, Chem Bros, Underworld and Morcheeba in the same festival? i say FUCK YES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    i think i would rather suck AIDZ out of gary colemans nutt.

Sound and Motion sold me with Tom Waits. I just can't pass that down.

Radiohead, Prodigy, Beck, 1,2,3? hell yeah.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields
    U2: 6/28 @ United Center

Sound and Motion has a whole lot of awesome.

Also not picking a festival because it has a ferris wheel is really stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Massive Attack, Portishead w/ Los Angeles Philharmonic, and Chemical Brothers gave Summer Soulstice one more can't miss act than Sound and Motion, and they were just the first three bands listed!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

This is pretty obnoxious of me, but the festivals with all the gimmicks are bothersome. While it would be cool if Interpol did their whole first album and if Portishead played with the Philharmonic, this stuff is not realistic. So I am voting for the other festival. Plus, their poster is easier to read and aside from some questionable choices would be a fun show.

Buckcherry? I expected to see them in the joke festival. But anyways, Sound and Motion is actually really good, but I must vote for Summer Soulstice. Full analysis coming soon, for I am at an apple store.
    Asobi Seksu + Jarvis + Portishead FTW
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

I really love the Sound and Motion poster design.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Also not picking a festival because it has a ferris wheel is really stupid.
    My point with the ferris wheel is that 90% of these fests have them. Taking an idea from an already existing festival and expecting me to be excited about it is fairly unoriginal.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    My point with the ferris wheel is that 90% of these fests have them. Taking an idea from an already existing festival and expecting me to be excited about it is fairly unoriginal.
    The ferris wheel cost $5,000. That's a marginal cost of 10 cents in the ticket price. I haven't seen any festivals that even list cents for their ticket prices which means the ferris wheel gets rounded off which means it is effectively free. That's why a lot of people have thrown it up there.

I don't think anyone is expecting voters to be excited about the ferris wheel... it's just... why not put it there?
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    This is pretty obnoxious of me, but the festivals with all the gimmicks are bothersome. While it would be cool if Interpol did their whole first album and if Portishead played with the Philharmonic, this stuff is not realistic.
    I am with that, cuz.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I really love the Sound and Motion poster design.
    I am with that, Courtney.

Both festivals have artists I really want to see but Summer Soulstice has them more evenly spread out. I feel like I'd be settling a lot at Sound and Motion, especially on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    The ferris wheel cost $5,000. That's a marginal cost of 10 cents in the ticket price. I haven't seen any festivals that even list cents for their ticket prices which means the ferris wheel gets rounded off which means it is effectively free. That's why a lot of people have thrown it up there.

I don't think anyone is expecting voters to be excited about the ferris wheel... it's just... why not put it there?

Listing it on your flyer as an asset is expecting some sort of reaction from the fans.

I can think of a few things I would rather see at a fest like, I don't know...a clothing optional-oiled up bounce house.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    I can think of a few things I would rather see at a fest like, I don't know...a clothing optional-oiled up bounce house.
    Maybe that is what you could unlock by figuring out the secret messages?

I'm not sure what you mean by that but, if the ferris wheel can go in reverse to unlock a magical world of greased up naked people, I need to change my vote.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 01-12-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Oh sorry I forgot not everyone saw the messages Erik sent out on this contest. I was referring to the secret messages hidden in those emails, etc.

Interpol performing TOTBL beats Radiohead.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    Interpol performing TOTBL beats Radiohead.
    Really? Imo, even though Turn On The Bright Lights is definitely their best album, Interpol live is pretty much a snoozefest.

Now they are at least. They used to have so much MORE energy to their shows. I saw them at the Fonda WAYYYYYYY back and it was SO incredible. Even when they hit the Olympic Auditorium they had it good but when I recently saw them at the Forum, it just wasn't the same.

These are two of the best festival I have seen yet. This makes voting really, really hard. Hmm... I will have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    This is pretty obnoxious of me, but the festivals with all the gimmicks are bothersome. While it would be cool if Interpol did their whole first album and if Portishead played with the Philharmonic, this stuff is not realistic. So I am voting for the other festival. Plus, their poster is easier to read and aside from some questionable choices would be a fun show.
    Iggy and The Stooges performed Fun House at Vegoose. That certainly wasn't bothersome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

The bothersome aspect is that they are made up. What is exciting about the Stooges playing Fun House is that it's unexpected. The novelty of the Don't Look Back thing.

I kinda wish I turned my festival into a joke by having every band be doing something ridiculous or as some sort of crazy pairing.

• Les Savy Fav with the Cleveland Orchestra
    • the Wedding Present recreating the Peel Sessions
    • the Fiery Furnaces performing Rehearsing My Choir with Dolly Parton singing the part of Grandma
    • the Smashing Pumpkins not shitting on their legacy
    • the Magnetic Fields performing the I Thought You Were My Boyfriend CD single
    • Sonic Youth performing the Stooges' Fun House
    • Wilco with Paul McCartney

A suggestion for future installments of this contest: Don't Look Back stuff should cost extra, maybe even double the performer's price.

Maybe each poster should have one "freebie"? No... including that in the rules means everyone would do it.
    I say headliners shouldn't be allowed anything extra, and other other special additions such as _______ performing or performing w/ _______ should cost money. Perhaps not double the cost. But it could cost half of whatever that artist is worth. So a subheadliner would be charged an extra 200,000 and minor act would cost an extra 30,000.

Oh, and

Sonic Youth performing the Stooges' Fun House
    That would be amazing.

the Smashing Pumpkins not shitting on their legacy
    But this would be even better.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I'd sop up summer soulstice with a bisquit.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I will vote for a poster when it finally has half as ballsy headliner choices as mine was going to.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

please enlighten us Randy. I am serious, I want to know.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Paul Simon and The Jackson Five were two, that's all I need to fucking say about that. Also, the festival was going to be held on a triangle cluster of tightly packed islands, each stage being a different island. Each would face out onto the ocean, casting all sound as far away from the other stages as possible, with a resort hotel island in the middle and these things constantly transporting people between them:

More bands I like: Summer Soulstice
    Consistency: Summer Soulstice
    Headliners: Summer Soulstice, even though Sound and Motion has Radiohead. First festival with R.E.M.?
    Sub-headliners: both have goodies, but I'm going with Summer Soulstice
    Undercard: Summer Soulstice...it helps that it also has a larger number of acts
    Reunion: well, only Sound and Motion has one. Wait, isn't Roxy Music one?
    Venue: Summer Soulstice, for being in San Jose. Kudos to both for having actual venues instead of vague cities.
    Diversity: draw
    Unique/unusual acts: Sound and Motion. But Buckcherry = very WTF.
    Poster: I really like the background image of Summer Soulstice, but it makes some of the text hard to read. Sound and Motion is easier to read and also looks nice, so Sound and Motion.
    Wild card: Bonus points given to Soulstice for Asobi Seksu and Jarvis, as always, but not needed.

Winner: Summer Soulstice
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-12-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I will vote for a poster when it finally has half as ballsy headliner choices as mine was going to.
    So, I am guessing you voted for Lighthouse?

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    So, I am guessing you voted for Lighthouse?
    I would never actually vote, it's gay.