View Poll Results: Which weekend was more enjoyable for you?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weekend 1

102 51.00%
  • Weekend 2

98 49.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The weekend 1 vs weekend 2 poll

Default The weekend 1 vs weekend 2 poll

Well, I'm hoping I know the obvious choice to this one, but I still want to hear about any contrasts in the overall vibe of both weekends and what kinds of big and small differences there were. We already know weekend 1 wins by a longshot in terms of weather, but what else?

Default Re: The weekend 1 vs weekend 2 poll

Idk why I didn't mention this, but I only want to hear from those that went to both weekends...once they're done enjoying Dre and Snoop that is.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

I attended both. I loved both. The magic was in Weekend 1.

happy to hear this
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I attended both. I loved both. The magic was in Weekend 1.
    Exactly.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

I actually preferred the weather in Week 2 as I hate the cold, but week 1 actually had grass. Hmm....

I went to both as well and yes both were great but Weekend 1 was better

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Why was 1 better?

When they first announced that they were going to do 2 weekends I immediately thought there's no way I could do 2 in a row, but when weekend 2 came along I was a firm believer that I could easily do it all over again.

Was it worth the extra effort and cash?

I was very disgruntled sitting at home while this went on all over again. I'm slowly getting over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    when weekend 2 came along I was a firm believer that I could easily do it all over again.

Me too, but I wonder how much of that was a function of it being nice and cool wknd 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I couldn't do another weekend. But, every band I saw mentioned how much they were loving weekend 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I couldn't do another weekend. But, every band I saw mentioned how much they were loving weekend 2.
    Right, they all did say this. And The Hives (well, Pelle) said the w2 crowd was better, and I for one believe him

I know this is gonna break many boardies hearts, but if you're gonna be honest about this, it's weekend 2 and it's not close. I'll give you a few specific reasons why week 2 wins. First and foremost, the weather in week 2 was by far the best. I think that weather does affect the momentum in the crowd and on stage. The energy when the crowd is lubed up with a little sweat is much different. The bands feed off the energy in the crowd and it does make a difference. Second, all of the kinks were ironed out for week 2. Justice played a full set, the sound issues from week
    1 were fixed on each stage, and each band is much more comfortable to be on stage their second time. The only things that week one has over week two is the surprise factor and better grass. That's it. The performances were stronger, the weather was way better (sorry week 1 but Friday and Saturday were freezing at night), the sound was better on the outdoor especially, and the beautiful people were out in full effect in week 2 in their lovely bikinis. Week 2 ftw. The answer to this debate is to go both weeks. Then you get the best of both worlds and have the opportunity to see every act you want, plus a couple twice, without worrying about conflicts.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Really people who attended both should be the ones voting, everyone else will just vote for whichever they went to

Honestly, its too hard to decide. Weekend 1 was great cause it was our first run and everything was a surprise, hence the magic feeling. And obviously the weather was much better for weekend 1. On the other hand, on weekend two (for different reasons) some artists played more songs than the previous weekend including Radiohead, Justice, Metronomy, and First Aid Kit. The crowd-artist interaction also made a difference. I think the crowd was better in weekend 1 for Dr. Dre, Awolnation, Givers and was better in weekend 2 for Radiohead, Azealia Banks, the Hives. At least, those were the shows I saw with a noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    Right, they all did say this. And The Hives (well, Pelle) said the w2 crowd was better, and I for one believe him
    Funny, because he told us the W1 crowd was better.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Weekend 1 was much, much better

I probably would've had more fun at 1 just because the heat debilitated my friends all 3 days.

weekend 1!!!! although it was more like coachella weather weekend 2...btw SO WORTH going both weekends. and somehow i was more tired after the first weekend, go figure....
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Weekend 1 was amazing! so much much much more partying! (Who else was on Lot 8?) and so much more going on in the campgrounds.

But Weekend 2 was definitely for the music, the crowds and bands (except a few) were so much more into it. I don't know about the weather on this weekend but it really felt much more like Coachella. Btw Weekend 1 was muthafucking packed w/ Bros

-------
    Coachella
    2013 Wk1, 2012 Wk1 & 2, 2009, 2008, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Maybe he should be Clairvoyant Pelle

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    I don't know if you just don't understand the concept of time, but weekend 2 happened after weekend 1. He may have said he loved weekend 1, but when I saw them he said we were right below weekend 1 about half way through the set, and then by the end everyone was freaking the fuck out and getting super into it, and he said we weekend 2 was better. He can change his mind on something, especially if he said weekend 1 was superior BEFORE weekend 2 even occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    You're like a freedom fighter, but for pointless shit.
    COACHELLA 2013 - Rick James

After watching some videos of weekend 1, I'm glad I was at 2. The Do Lab during weekend one appeared nearly empty. During weekend 2 it was packed full of people dancing their ass off, seeking relief from the heat. Not just that, but the warm weather brought out girls in bikini's. Boobies galore.

Weekend One was waaaaaay too cold on Fri/Sat evenings. I listened to Radiohead bundled up in my camper (happily, Lot 5 is right beside the main stage). I had to play a lot of dodgeball just to keep warm. Weekend Two had great Coachella weather, we were central in Lot 8 with a new and highly-excitable posse of Europeans and Australians, and it was the most fun I've ever had at any Coachella (13 straight now).

Miss Banks did whip up the crowd on W1, but I thought that tent was going to go into orbit on W2. Plus Thom with Modeselektor happened W2.

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyinLA View Post
    Weekend One was waaaaaay too cold on Fri/Sat evenings. I listened to Radiohead bundled up in my camper (happily, Lot 5 is right beside the main stage). I had to play a lot of dodgeball just to keep warm. Weekend Two had great Coachella weather, we were central in Lot 8 with a new and highly-excitable posse of Europeans and Australians, and it was the most fun I've ever had at any Coachella (13 straight now).

Miss Banks did whip up the crowd on W1, but I thought that tent was going to go into orbit on W2. Plus Thom with Modeselektor happened W2.
    A couple things stood out to me in your post. First, you were spot on about the difference in the weather. Second, you were back at your RV during Radiohead because it was too cold? Seriously? How does a seasoned vet like yourself who respects the historical performances at Coachella walk away from that because of the weather!! C'mon man!! Third, the Banks crowd in week 2 was awesome. Finally, mad props for being one of the only others on this board who has been to every Coachella. We are a rare breed. Don't ever let the streak end!! We'll have to meet up at our 25th straight to celebrate.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Pretty surprising results...I'm not at all bummed that I chose to go to weekend 1 over weekend 2 though. I honestly couldn't imagine my weekend being any more fun than it was. Plus, I had 3 midterms this week that I most likely would have failed if I had gone to weekend 2.

considering how awful weekend 1 was for me, doing nothing in LA during weekend 2 was much more enjoyable

^^^This should never happen. Explain yourself.

weekend 1 was the coachella crowd i have come to expect. weekend 2 was the coachella weather i have come to expect (but even hotter). they were both fucking awesome. sat of weekend 1 is up there with my favorite days at coachella ever, but seeing thom yorke perform with mdslktr weekend 2 is one of my favorite performances i have seen at coachella.

not throwing in a vote because i loved both