Thread: Wakarusa Early Bands

Default Wakarusa Early Bands

i know most of you dont give a flip () about waka, but it is a fun smallish fest that has lots of music, great camping, swimming, et al ....

Wakarusa is pleased to welcome the following artists to the 2008 festival lineup: The Flaming Lips, Keller Williams, Leftover Salmon, Cake, Galactic, Buckethead, Lotus, David Grisman Quintet, Old 97's, Alejandro Escovedo, Tea Leaf Green, Ozric Tentacles, Brett Dennen, Blackalicious, Dr Dog, State Radio, Betty LaVette, Split Lip Rayfield, The Avett Brothers, Yard Dog's Road Show, The Gourds, Steel Train, Trombone Shorty, Chicago Afrobeat Project, Heavy Pets . . . . and many more to come.
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Default Re: Wakarusa Early Bands

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    i know most of you dont give a flip () about waka, but it is a fun smallish fest that has lots of music, great camping, swimming, et al ....

Wakarusa is pleased to welcome the following artists to the 2008 festival lineup: The Flaming Lips, Keller Williams, Leftover Salmon, Cake, Galactic, Buckethead, Lotus, David Grisman Quintet, Old 97's, Alejandro Escovedo, Tea Leaf Green, Ozric Tentacles, Brett Dennen, Blackalicious, Dr Dog, State Radio, Betty LaVette, Split Lip Rayfield, The Avett Brothers, Yard Dog's Road Show, The Gourds, Steel Train, Trombone Shorty, Chicago Afrobeat Project, Heavy Pets . . . . and many more to come.
    Ya I would have posted this yesterday but I didn't think anyone here would care.

so....what are the dates for this festival? And will Blackalicious be playing with Alfredo Ortiz? Tell me that, and ill be more interested.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

You can get the most updated info here : http://forum.wakarusa.com/index.php

Ok, so we go to big outdoor festivals for the music, and Coachella is the best for that IMHO, but even Coachella could learn from other fests like:

IN and OUT …. No that doest mean the burger joint, it means they trust you enough as an adult for you to go out to your camp site or car whenever you want and you can still come back into the show …. The roo and waka both do that: why not coachella

No Waka shuttle …. This is a bunch of school buses that run all over the campgrounds to the venues and even into the city if you want to buy supplies, at no charge no less …. If you want to go to shakedown street, grab a burger in town, or just too tired from the night before to walk from camping to the music, what a novel concept

Music all day …. We pay for 3 days of music .. that doesn’t mean 3 afternoon and nights of music …. Waka has shows all 24 hours of the day pretty much

A big lake and swimming … ok so Coachella cant do that

Bikes ….. since you cant go in and out at Coachella I guess it doesn’t matter, but its nice to take your bike and just ride all over the fest

These are some of the things Coachella or superfly could address for the big bucks we pay them

Canx**

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    so....what are the dates for this festival? And will Blackalicious be playing with Alfredo Ortiz? Tell me that, and ill be more interested.
    June 5-8 in Lawrence, Kansas

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

do you have photos from this, Ron? my interest is peaked by the 24-hour music and the lake. how novel.

the flaming lips should just start their own festival

That's an idea. A good idea.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I would love to see Cake at Coachella this year. Also, I would like to see the Avett Brothers as a repeat act.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Default Wakarusa is back on woot woot

woot woot waka is back on but in Arkansas in the mountains with streams and everything ....yea ha........ron****

so most wont care here, but i love this festival ... early confirmations as of today (plus the show is only $99 plus camping) ...4 full days of music and camping. cr****

here are some of the bands ...

Yonder Mountain String Band (2 big sets!)

Galactic

Buckethead

STS9 (2 big sets!)

Galactic (late night set)

Buckethead (late night set)

Sly & Robbie

Railroad Earth (2 sets)

Cross Canadian Ragweed

Digable Planets

Porter, Batiste & Stoltz (2 sets)

Steve Kimock & Crazy Engine

Perpetual Groove (2 sets)

Split Lip Rayfield (2 sets)

Lucero

The Egg

20/20 Soundsystem

Jimmy Herring Band

i love the 4 types of camping too .. one is called main stage "Mainstage: As the name states, this campground is the closest to the festival's mainstage. Ideal for those who want to listen to music while they lounge in their camp chairs. Minimal walking to all festival stages. )

That looks just like ACL if you took all the good bands away and were just left with the dregs.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    That looks just like ACL if you took all the good bands away and were just left with the dregs.
    Oh Tom don’t be a Friday downer ….. I would place buckethead in the top 5 current bassist … jimmy top 25 guitar player …. And personal fav sts9 one of the best bands around in any category … this is a festival of musicians that are the best at what they do, not just a “who’s the indie band of the month” type of fest or "what ever happend to, you know that band" …. Lighten up …. Cr****

don't tell me what to do
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    don't tell me what to do
    ok be a bummer that is your choice, i prefer to be in a great mood and positive ... its friday and a long weekend ......cr****

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Buckethead is a bassist?

You can get the most updated info here : http://forum.wakarusa.com/index.php

Ok, so we go to big outdoor festivals for the music, and Coachella is the best for that IMHO, but even Coachella could learn from other fests like:

IN and OUT …. No that doest mean the burger joint, it means they trust you enough as an adult for you to go out to your camp site or car whenever you want and you can still come back into the show …. The roo and waka both do that: why not coachella

No Waka shuttle …. This is a bunch of school buses that run all over the campgrounds to the venues and even into the city if you want to buy supplies, at no charge no less …. If you want to go to shakedown street, grab a burger in town, or just too tired from the night before to walk from camping to the music, what a novel concept

Music all day …. We pay for 3 days of music .. that doesn’t mean 3 afternoon and nights of music …. Waka has shows all 24 hours of the day pretty much

A big lake and swimming … ok so Coachella cant do that

Bikes ….. since you cant go in and out at Coachella I guess it doesn’t matter, but its nice to take your bike and just ride all over the fest

These are some of the things Coachella or superfly could address for the big bucks we pay them

Canx**
    In and out would be cool. I don't know if I could do 24 hours of music for three days though. At Coachella, I try to watch one of the very first bands playing, and one of the very last bands playing, and even though that's just like 12-13 hours of music, it's still a lot, and it beats the crap out of me, especially if it's a hot day. I dunno' about people riding their bikes all over the place either. They'd try squeezing them into the crowds and there would be all these problems. The shuttle and the big lake are good ideas though. If anything, Coachella should add more things shooting out water if they can't add a lake.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Buckethead is a bassist?
    dah no , sorry but the last time i saw him he did that for some reason .... no he is a shredder on regular guitar lol ..... cr****