Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ticket Scalping and Scalpers

Default Ticket Scalping and Scalpers

So last summer Girl Talk came to town and tickets were $15-20. I slept on getting them before they sold out, but really wanted to see him again so I decided to buy tickets from Craigslist. Ppl were selling tickets for $50-100! Just out of curiosity I emailed a few of the sellers and found out that ppl were actually buying these tickets at those insane prices.

MSTRKRFT came into town a few weeks ago. I decided to try my hand at scalping. I bought 20 tickets for $30. I put 10 of them on hold for myself and friends at cost, and sold the remaining 10 (when the show sold out a week later) for $60.

I'm not sure if i'll do this again. I felt really guilty and couldn't look ppl in the eye when they came to purchase their tickets. One girl messaged me on Facebook to tell me that she thought scalpers were bottom feeders and represented everythign that's wrong with society, but if I sold her a ticket at cost she would guest list me for various future shows her friends were putting on. I promptly replied that while I appreciated her honesty, I personally thought that people who rely on guestlist are the real bottom feeders of society.

What are your opinions on ticket scalping?

Default Re: Ticket Scalping and Scalpers

Of course when you see people going nuts on ebay, selling Zeppelin tix that they paid 300 bucks for, getting 3000 a ticket? Thats fucked up. Or when Rage tix went on sale for Coachella and getting 700 bucks a pair for 1 day Sunday only tix....thats fucked...

im sure everyone has scalped a ticket over the years, but overall, they are usually looked down on.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    Don't do it. There are better ways to make money, and if you're a decent person you'll feel better about yourself if you don't scalp.
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

I put some Tom Vek tickets on ebay once, as it clashed with a Wrens show. I didn't actually expect to get even face value back, but they eventually ended at nearly 3 times cost. I let the winner have them for what i paid for them. I didn't do Buy It Now incase they didn't sell (before someone asks)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by jayce View Post
    So last summer Girl Talk came to town and tickets were $15-20. I slept on getting them before they sold out, but really wanted to see him again so I decided to buy tickets from Craigslist. Ppl were selling tickets for $50-100! Just out of curiosity I emailed a few of the sellers and found out that ppl were actually buying these tickets at those insane prices.

MSTRKRFT came into town a few weeks ago. I decided to try my hand at scalping. I bought 20 tickets for $30. I put 10 of them on hold for myself and friends at cost, and sold the remaining 10 (when the show sold out a week later) for $60.

I'm not sure if i'll do this again. I felt really guilty and couldn't look ppl in the eye when they came to purchase their tickets. One girl messaged me on Facebook to tell me that she thought scalpers were bottom feeders and represented everythign that's wrong with society, but if I sold her a ticket at cost she would guest list me for various future shows her friends were putting on. I promptly replied that while I appreciated her honesty, I personally thought that people who rely on guestlist are the real bottom feeders of society.

In my opinion there's a big difference between the scalper who buys 4 tickets for himself and three friends, but then 2 of the friends cancel so he has to sell the 2 tickets on eBay or something, and the scalper who purposely buys like 20 tickets, with the intention of selling them for a profit all along. The first one sucks, but is just about acceptable to me. The second one is scum.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

If I had to sell tickets in the past I would usually try and get $20 bucks more. But for about the past 6 years now I never scalp anymore. I actually just sold 4 Foo Fighter tickets for face the other day. Karma people. it works. When Coldplay played Coachella, 5 days later they played The Metro in Chicago which holds maybe 400 people. Show sold out within 1 minute, tons of people on the corner were trying to get tickets, people were spending $800 bucks for one ticket and ditching their girlfriends. A roadie ends up coming outside with 2 tickets and just gives it to some dude I was talking to. The guy looks at me (complete stranger mind you) and says, you wanna go inside. So my friends told me to go and I would see them later. I actually did, inside the venue. Coldplay ended up hearing about how all of the scalpers had the tickets and they decided to give out about 100 free tickets to fans waiting outside to get in.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

The only time I ever attempted to sell a ticket was to Daft Punk. I'd bought 2 because I figured that'd be a fun road trip for me and a friend or cousin to go on but everyone who was interested couldn't afford the trip. I put the extra ticket up on the board and when PM'd, I told the first couple of responders that I was looking at $90 (they had originally been $50 + TM fees). The people scoffed and suprefan eventually got in touch with me the week of the show. I hadn't ventured into the Lounge much at that time so I wasn't aware of the vitriolic reaction to scalpers. Initially I hadn't felt too bad about marking up the ticket cost -- for one, there were tickets on craigslist and eBay going for much higher so I thought $90 was fair, plus my intention when I bought the ticket was not to sell it to someone I didn't know. After realizing the way scalpers are generally viewed by the board, though, I wound up selling the ticket for face + TM fees + shipping cost. Guess I'm just not a piranha.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

I fucking hate it that gasoline costs $3.35 a gallon.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

i sold a set of Dave M and Tim R tics for a bunch one year, and a set of pink floyd tics once, they are the only tics i have ever sold for more then i paid .... i am not very hip to scalpers ... canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I think the government should control the ticket supply.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

They already do, Tom. THEY ALREADY DO!
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

I mean a different government.

Geez, where are you getting your gas, A.J.'s? I paid $2.87 today.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I put some Tom Vek tickets on ebay once, as it clashed with a Wrens show. I didn't actually expect to get even face value back, but they eventually ended at nearly 3 times cost.
    i can't believe the following he is growing with just 1 album...
    it is easily on my Top All Timez

if he ever decides to finish a 2nd one, it's gunna blows-up
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

If you ever needed help in doing that again, email Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    If you ever needed help in doing that again, email Delta.
    Or you. Let's not forget you've done it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    If I had to sell tickets in the past I would usually try and get $20 bucks more. But for about the past 6 years now I never scalp anymore. I actually just sold 4 Foo Fighter tickets for face the other day. Karma people. it works. When Coldplay played Coachella, 5 days later they played The Metro in Chicago which holds maybe 400 people. Show sold out within 1 minute, tons of people on the corner were trying to get tickets, people were spending $800 bucks for one ticket and ditching their girlfriends. A roadie ends up coming outside with 2 tickets and just gives it to some dude I was talking to. The guy looks at me (complete stranger mind you) and says, you wanna go inside. So my friends told me to go and I would see them later. I actually did, inside the venue. Coldplay ended up hearing about how all of the scalpers had the tickets and they decided to give out about 100 free tickets to fans waiting outside to get in.
    cool story!!!

thelastgreatman got fired from a scalper service
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Not fired, but yes. No regrets here, and I will scalp personally again.

Did you tell the story about your departure somewhere, LGM?
    For your health

Scalpers are like drug dealers, they are only half the problem.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Seriously.

And I saw $2.69 in Eloy on Saturday. Too bad we didn't need gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Did you tell the story about your departure somewhere, LGM?
    There's not really much of a story unless I tell a big long explanation of something that really isn't that interesting at all. I'm not just trying to hide my shame, seriously. It was half my boss flipping a shit for the most absurd reasons and half the fact that he brought me on to do a very broad poorly-defined job in the first place.

It was annoying too, as I was kinda really proud of some of the work I was doing. But after I spent six weeks detailing everything that was wrong with both the design and the business model of this website he'd been trying to start for a year, and miraculously figured out exactly how he could fix it by splitting it into two sites (one of which I still think could be worth millions if I could make it)... the fucker reveals he has no more money to invest in it.

With no money to do anything with the site at all, combined with the fact that I don't think he liked being told his idea was fucked, things started to get testy. Eventually things got argument-y. It was a mutual decision, honestly.

Banned

ZZzzzzzzzzzz ZZZZZZZZZZzzzz zzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Yes, I know. Hence why I didn't tell it until someone asked. You got a hardon for me recently, J. It's kinda tiresome.

Banned

Why dont you go vlog about it.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    4 Sons. fountain hills. 91 octane.

We do what we can to get what we want. I think scalpers are hurting the mediocre fans (the real fans already have their tickets), and I think it is sad for them. I've never been the victim of a scalp, but it would suck if it was a really great band that I love and didn't have enough money when tickets went on sale. Dave Matthews Band, for example, sells out super fast... but I have only seen them once, and I bought from ticketmaster (which is scummier than scalpers because the tickets cost 90 dollars, but I got to see my favorite band and Rolling Stones... Even though Dave Matthews Band was not really great at that show).

I would never scalp tickets. I'd feel like I'm using the band to make money off their fans, and being a musician myself, I would feel bad if that was happening to my fans (not that I have many). But you know what... I do shitty things too. Shittier than scalping sometimes. So who am I to judge?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$ View Post
    ZZzzzzzzzzzz ZZZZZZZZZZzzzz zzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz
    I told you he got fired.

Banned

totally.