Thread: Getting all Da Vinci Code on your ass

Default Getting all Da Vinci Code on your ass

So, I went to Scotland for New Years, to celebrate with my girlfriend and her family, and the day before New Years Eve we decided to take a trip to Rosslyn Chapel; the 15th Century medieval chapel which features in the final scenes of the Da Vinci Code movie. The chapel is up on a hill in the middle of the Scottish countryside, surrounded by fields and forests. Up until a few years ago hardly anyone ever went there, and it was sort of a forgotten relic, and entry was free. Then the Da Vinci Code movie came out and suddenly tourists started flocking there and they had to start charging for tickets and implementing rules and stuff. In fact, the day we visited happened to be the last day EVER that photography was allowed in the chapel - from January 1 this year it is no longer permitted, because tourists were falling over stuff and clambering around trying to get good shots, and also they were worried that certain flash photography was detrimental to the old building. So anyhow, I tried to get some cool photos, but honestly these can't even come close to expressing just how incredible and beautiful this place was:

IMG]http://photos-286.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v168/72/116/513846286/n513846286_803643_1739.jpg[/IMG]

(Those last two pictures were taken in the crypt; the room that Tom Hanks goes into at the end of the movie. It was really dark in there and difficult to get a decent photo).

As you can see, the place was pretty breathtaking - it's not a huge chapel, but the intricacy and detail of the architecture was pretty unique, and such a mix of styles, and so well preserved. It blew me away.

So since my visit I decided to do some reading into the background of the chapel and why it was built etc etc, and I was wondering if any of you know anything about this stuff.

I am not a religious man at all but the historical side of this stuff intrigues me. Here is what I understand, from what I have read so far:

-There is no doubt, historically, that Jesus Christ was a real man, and a prophet, who travelled around spreading the word of god and doing good deeds, etc, etc.
    -He got a huge following, and all of these people started to follow his beliefs, and became Christians.
    -This worried the Romans, because people were moving away from their old beliefs and their old gods and the empire was losing power, so they came up with a plan: the decided to acknowledge Jesus and write him into their own scriptures, to entice his followers back (most other religions also did this).
    -Jesus was then crucified. When he was put on the cross he was handed a cup, with some liquid in it, for his final drink (this is mentioned in the bible). He drank it, and then passed out. The people thought he was dead, but actually the drink contained a herb which acted as a sedative and anaesthetic, and Jesus was simply asleep.
    -He was removed from the cross and taken away. When he recovered, he was set free, on condition that he leave the country quickly and not tell anyone.
    -He left, with Mary Magdalene. They eventually had a child together, so his bloodline was continued, and that is what is now referred to as the cup of Christ.
    -Jesus died in India and is now buried in a tomb in Kashmir.
    -A fellowship was set up, by the few people who knew the truth of his identity and the events which surrounded it, to protect the truth, and his bloodline, and each other. They called themselves the Knights Templar (the Vatican recently reluctantly released documentation which acknowledges the existence of the Knights Templar). This fellowship later split into two groups, one of which was known as the stonemasons, and is today known as the freemasons (this in particular interests me, as my grandfather was Grand High Master of a Freemasonry Lodge, and he would never talk about it to anyone. All I knew was that it involved a lot of secret meetings and weird handshakes).
    -These fellowships contine to this day, to pass down the secrets of the story, and to protect the identities of those involved; places like Rosslyn Chapel were built by them as places to worship and to welcome their fellows and to bury and remember them and keep any artefacts.

Is that all correct? Did I miss anything important? Can anyone else shed any light on any of this for me?
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

Default Re: Getting all Da Vinci Code on your ass

Also, how is it possible that this statue of BROKENDOLL was created in the 15th Century?

"The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

if you think thats cool i also recommend rennes le chateau

it too has a great back story and is a small yet unbelievable church in the south of france
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    if you think thats cool i also recommend rennes le chateau

it too has a great back story and is a small yet unbelievable church in the south of france
    Thanks. I'd also love to visit the underground temples of Damanhur, in Italy. They sound incredible. Check out this article.

Stef, that history that you have up there is airtight. Never seen such perfect scholarship before. You Brits are really on your game.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Stef, that history that you have up there is airtight. Never seen such perfect scholarship before. You Brits are really on your game.
    Thanks. Also, my friend at Goldenvoice told me the Second Coming is confirmed for Coachella this year. Jesus will be appearing at 7:15 on the Saturday, in the Sahara tent, followed by Holy Fuck.

I heard Jesus might clash with the Osama Bin Laden jazz fusion set in the Gobi, otherwise i'm there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I heard Jesus might clash with the Osama Bin Laden jazz fusion set in the Gobi, otherwise i'm there.
    That's just ridiculous.

Osama should be headlining, not playing the 7:15 slot.

I hope that doesn't conflict with Obama and the Juggling Clintons.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefinitely Maybe View Post
    I am not a religious man at all but the historical side of this stuff intrigues me. Here is what I understand, from what I have read so far:

-There is no doubt, historically, that Jesus Christ was a real man, and a prophet, who travelled around spreading the word of god and doing good deeds, etc, etc.
    -He got a huge following, and all of these people started to follow his beliefs, and became Christians.
    -This worried the Romans, because people were moving away from their old beliefs and their old gods and the empire was losing power, so they came up with a plan: the decided to acknowledge Jesus and write him into their own scriptures, to entice his followers back (most other religions also did this).
    -Jesus was then crucified. When he was put on the cross he was handed a cup, with some liquid in it, for his final drink (this is mentioned in the bible). He drank it, and then passed out. The people thought he was dead, but actually the drink contained a herb which acted as a sedative and anaesthetic, and Jesus was simply asleep.
    -He was removed from the cross and taken away. When he recovered, he was set free, on condition that he leave the country quickly and not tell anyone.
    -He left, with Mary Magdalene. They eventually had a child together, so his bloodline was continued, and that is what is now referred to as the cup of Christ.
    -Jesus died in India and is now buried in a tomb in Kashmir.
    -A fellowship was set up, by the few people who knew the truth of his identity and the events which surrounded it, to protect the truth, and his bloodline, and each other. They called themselves the Knights Templar (the Vatican recently reluctantly released documentation which acknowledges the existence of the Knights Templar). This fellowship later split into two groups, one of which was known as the stonemasons, and is today known as the freemasons (this in particular interests me, as my grandfather was Grand High Master of a Freemasonry Lodge, and he would never talk about it to anyone. All I knew was that it involved a lot of secret meetings and weird handshakes).
    -These fellowships contine to this day, to pass down the secrets of the story, and to protect the identities of those involved; places like Rosslyn Chapel were built by them as places to worship and to welcome their fellows and to bury and remember them and keep any artefacts.

Is that all correct? Did I miss anything important? Can anyone else shed any light on any of this for me?
    that is pretty close to the Islamic version of the christ story, actually. They say jesus was a prophet who was crucified but didn't die, recovered, and traveled around the east a bit.

what your version doesn't address one way or another is the reports that jesus appeared to his disciples following his resurrection/non-fatal crucifixion.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefinitely Maybe View Post
    That's just ridiculous.

Osama should be headlining, not playing the 7:15 slot.
    Osama will headline right after the resurection of sadam hussein...

i've always wanted to go to that church

tit-tacular
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.