Thread: Ryan Adams...

Default Ryan Adams...

So I have two friends that want me to see Ryan Adams and the Cardinals at the Catalyst at the end of the month...

I don't have any fucking clue who this guy is, other than that Thom Yorke quote I've seen in someone's sig.

Thoughts?
    It's 32$, and I'll be damned if I pay that much for a guy who is shit.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Default Re: Ryan Adams...

bryan adams bugs the shit out of me...

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    So I have two friends that want me to see Ryan Adams and the Cardinals at the Catalyst at the end of the month...

I don't have any fucking clue who this guy is, other than that Thom Yorke quote I've seen in someone's sig.

Thoughts?
    It's 32$, and I'll be damned if I pay that much for a guy who is shit.
    I have a friend who is fucking obsesed with him. I have heard he is pretty good live too. Personaly, I don't know his music though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

I think it would be worth it. I like a lot of the stuff I've heard -- he's sort of a tempermental manic-musician guy who puts out new albums left and right. He had a more mainstream succesful song called, "New York, New York" a few years ago. And he has an album called "Rock N Roll" that I have and really like. It's (obv.) more rock-y than his folkier stuff with the Cardinals.
    He was in Whiskeytown, an alt-country type band in the later 90s.
    Aw hell, someone will come in here with a much better capsule on Ryan Adams for you. But what I wanted to say was that for his music I'd pay $32. I don't know if he's tempermental at his shows, though. That could suck.

wait. isn't the thom yorke quote about Bryan Adams? Not Ryan Adams.

Either way, I don't know why, but I equate Ryan Adams with John Mayer a lot of the time.

Ryan Adams definately isn't anything like John Mayer. I can tell ya that much.

I love Ryan Adams. He is in no way like John Mayer. Ugh.

R. Adams is very midwestern-y, country (and formerly, drug) influenced, but without the idiocy of popular country music. (Think if Elliott Smith and Emmylou Harris had some odd music playing offspring.)

He is really amazing, and you should check him out for sure.

In terms of like... indie-folk, country sounding stuff, is Ryan Adams edging more towards, say, Devendra Banhardt? Or more towards Conor Oberst? Or even Andrew Bird?
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

In terms of like... indie-folk, country sounding stuff, is Ryan Adams edging more towards, say, Devendra Banhardt? Or more towards Conor Oberst? Or even Andrew Bird?
    Its funny you drop those names. I have a friend who is big Ryan Adams fan, and a HUGE Devanda Banheart fan. I also have a friend, who I mentioned, who is obsessed with Ryan Adams, and its a HUGE Bright Eyes fan.
    Make of that what you will.

Ryan Adams has put out some pretty solid albums in the past couple years. ("Rock N Roll", "Easy Tiger")
    some have been more Rock, but most have been stuff you can possibly group with DBT, Lucinda Williams, recent Bright Eyes, and Neko Case. he has played with Willie Nelson, mind you.
    "That's the most gangster punk rock shit out there."- Z-Trip showing his love for Paul Tollett

Ryan Adams & the Cardinals play kind of country-tinged rock n' roll. His music is somewhat rootsy. His best record is his first one. Dl it. His best record with the Cardinals is probably Cold Roses, though my favorite (with the Cardinals) is Jacksonville City Nights.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

Less Devendra...More.......Hmmmm....

Well I already dropped Elliott Smith and Emmylou Harris. I suppose you can add late Bright Eyes ("I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"/"Cassadaga"), The Byrds, Wilco, Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, Gillian Welch, Vetiver, Two Gallants, The Elected, and The Flying Burrito Bros into the equation.

Catch the drift now?

YouTube him, if you can. Some of my favorite Ryan Adams songs are "Chin Up, Cheer Up" off Demolition, "Born Yesterday" off the Destroyer bootleg sessions, and "Firecracker" off Gold.

Bright Eyes is like Bryan Adams...

and Devendra Banheart is more along the lines of Stevie Nicks.

I catch your drift... The Monkees are reuniting, but they're gonna sound a hell of a lot more like Coltrane...

I like late Bright Eyes, so this sounds good. =D
    Upcoming Shows:

I saw him about a month ago and the tickets were $73- so for $32- I'd say go for it. Although if after 10 albums and you haven't heard of him he may not be your cup o' tea.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Ryan Adams & the Cardinals play kind of country-tinged rock n' roll. His music is somewhat rootsy. His best record is his first one. Dl it. His best record with the Cardinals is probably Cold Roses, though my favorite (with the Cardinals) is Jacksonville City Nights.
    this information is correct.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Here's a primer going back the last few albums...

His most recent "Easy Tiger" is the first album he's written since sobering up (he was on a steady speedball/alcohol regimen that made him quite volatile but also helped spawn some wonderful music... Ryan always wears his
    influences on his sleeve. With Easy Tiger, I get less of the alt-country feel and more of a polished-Buckley type structure (with the glaring exceptions of Halloween Head (straight rock), Goodnight Rose & Tears of Gold (more alt-country)...

Before that, he released 3 albums in a year. "Cold Roses" is VERY, VERY, VERY influenced by Grateful Dead stringy guitar solos, lyricism (which of course prompted The Dead (the remainining Dead, that is) to take him on as a touring partner... ""Jacksonville City Nights" is straight up alt-country. "29" is more of a concept album (he was 29 and wrote one song for each year of his 20's) but mixes traditional alt-country with some lighter songs (if you see him live, you'll almost definitely get "Night Birds" played---a fantastic track off "29"...

Going back further:
    Love is Hell is Ryan's attempt at Brit-pop, though not in the traditional sense. It's kind of a dreamier, lush sound that doesn't really rely on hooks as much as his vocal affectations and lush arrangements. Probably my favorite albbum of his (the vinyl sounds gorgeous and for whatever reason, though it was panned by critics, I find it to be his most accomplished work--in aninterview where the interviewer did a word-association type thing with each of Ryan's albums, his answer for "Love is Hell" was "Beautiful" while he said disparaging remarks about the other albums... Probably won't play a thing off of here live except "I see Monsters" or "Please do not let me go"...

"Rock N Roll" has a couple decent tracks on it, but he won't play anything from that album if he's still playing the same setlists he played while in Austin last year...

"Gold" is certainly his most accessible album and has some of his best-known work. Think of it as Easy Tiger but drug-fueled, making it more desperate and immediate...

"Demolition" is a mess. Don't worry, he won't play anything off it.

"Heartbreaker" is just a fantastic album... Shows the crossover from "Whiskeytown--his previous fronting effort" to his solo material. Very alt-country but twangy fantastic rock. "Come Pick me Up", "To be Young is to be Sad (is to be High)", "Damn Sam, I Love a Woman that Rains", "call Me on Your Way Back Home", "My Sweet Carolina"---this album is his true masterpiece, though again, I prefer "Love is Hell" for reasons not even understood by me...

If you catch him live, expect a much more subdued Ryan Adams. I've seen him a few times, but only once when he was sober, and he sits in a shadowed corner in an effort to not stand out from the rest of the band, but rather, blend in with the band. His Austin gig elicited some major harsh feedback from the crowd and the Austin Chronicle... Google some of the gigs he's just played and check out the comments. Since this is your first exposure to Ryan, it shouldn't be a big deal, but for those looking for the outrageous live shit he does, there's a little element of disappointment. Regardless, the music and his singing/lyrics are worth the $32. Go if you have the time.
    Last edited by nothingman00; 01-08-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    -----------------------

he's got a pretty big cataloge, so NoFro will find something he will like

problem is Ryan Adams is an ass..... and hates his audience
    so he'll never play his "hits"....
    maybe yer into spiteful improv, just thought i'd let you know that before you go.
    Oh, and he may have a temper tantrum and play only 2 songs
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Passive.

Not sure if your going to enjoy the show or not. His Wiltern performance was incredible. I listened to Rock and Roll and Love is Hell over 20 times before I was hooked. As previously mentioned, he has a big body of work so walking in with a certain expectation may not help you. There have been so many groups that I have passed on over the years because they initially seemed like shit to me, only to cross their path years later. It's always the same feeling, REGRET. His music isn't a quick hamburger or piece of pizza. He's a wine reduction or champagne foam. You will learn from this guy how to have a better ear for other kinds of music and be profoundly entertained but it will require you to bone up on his catalog as best you can beforehand. Again, hate to sound like a broken record, but this is the reason for being on the board. I donít ever want to walk into a tent, avoid making inaccurate assumption and walk away from a great performance. I kept listening to this guy and was eventually rewarded. Again, you have to work to enjoy this guy but you will not be sorry.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    he's got a pretty big cataloge, so NoFro will find something he will like

problem is Ryan Adams is an ass..... and hates his audience
    so he'll never play his "hits"....
    maybe yer into spiteful improv, just thought i'd let you know that before you go.
    Oh, and he may have a temper tantrum and play only 2 songs
    This is actually pretty damn true. He's a fuckwad to say the least. The 2nd time I saw him play was at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas in 2005 (the show is available on archive.org) and a girl kept yelling "Come Pick Me Up!!!" at the top of her lungs during intermissions between songs. At one point, he stopped and said (I'm paraphrasing slightly), "I heard you the first hundred times. Now I'm not gonna play it. If that makes me a dick then I guess I'm a dick... Fuck it... I'm going home after this shit..." (long awkward pause in which you can hear the girl yell "I'm so sorry, Ryan") then Ryan goes "I mean, because that's how you get someone to play the song you like, just keep screamin' it out every second... It would be like me going over to your parents house for dinner then screaming GREEN BEANS!!!, GREEN BEANS!!!--only it was meatloaf." Then, just to spite the poor girl, later on in the set, he starts playing "Come Pick Me Up" and ditches the mic, goes to the fucking other side of the Gypsy Tea Room (where my wife and I were standing next to the bar), hops on the bar and songs "Come Pick Me Up" (sans mic) to the crowd, encouraging audience participation... Without a doubt, it was an effort to say "Fuck You" in as harsh a way as possible to that chick that requested the song. Likewise, if you google the Ryan Adams Austin 2007 show and look for comments from people that went to the show, you'll find almost unanimous hatred/confusion/etc. because Ryan stayed in the shadows all night, didn't play any of his "hits" and generally sulked around. Didn't even play an encore. The show was at Hogg Auditorium, if I recall correctly (EDIT: actually it was at the Paramount), and the place was packed, people were livid as front row tix were going for $300+... All in all, it was a shitstorm if you wanted to hear a good set from him...

That said, even though he was a complete prick at the Dallas show, it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. The setlist was incredible and they performed like it was their last show ever. Definitely recommend dl'ing it from archive. Plus, it's kinda funny hearing him lecture the poor girl.
    Last edited by nothingman00; 01-08-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    -----------------------

So 32$ at the Catalyst sounds like a steal?... Well, fuck, I don't think I'm seeing anything else here this month, anyway.
    Upcoming Shows:

I used to like Ryan Adams a lot. but then he started to annoy me.

For comparables I don't think Conor Oberst really does it, though I can't think of anybody else. I mean, Adams sings a lot better and writes smoother songs many of which are pretty good. Oberst is more clever but also more of a wimp.

Adams' best stuff is the stuff he did when he was in Whiskeytown. None of the solo albums are as good as those albums. Of the solo stuff I like Gold best, even though it's pretty poppish, it's pretty damned good. Heartbreaker is also good though I don't fawn over like many of his fans do.

After that his stuff is pretty uneven at best.

I saw his show a few years ago and it went on for like 2 1/2 hours and a lot of it was him playing solo acoustic stuff and it was pretty dull.

my recommendation PT is that you go to the show and hope for the best. You could get something fabulous if he's in the right frame of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I have a friend obsessed with Ryan and would be ape shit all over this thread...I gave him a shot but couldn't get into it...just not my thing but check it out for the experience alone

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    wait. isn't the thom yorke quote about Bryan Adams? Not Ryan Adams.

Either way, I don't know why, but I equate Ryan Adams with John Mayer a lot of the time.
    Yes, I had that sigged for like every...

"Us use hard drugs? That would be horrible. We'd end up sounding like Bryan Adams"

Thom Yorke
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

I'm a huge Ryan Adams fan. Doesn't mean he's for everyone, same as any artist or band. Not everyone will like him. He's a very talented song writer, unlike a lot of music these days his is very interesting to me. Plus he's a great singer and the Cardinals are a great band. It's hard to classify him in a particular genre. Ranges from rock, acoustic, a little country. Just different. It's easy to find his music online so check it out before you make a decision.

As for him being and ass. Well, sometimes yes. From what I've seen/heard, he seems like a big perfectionist with his music. If anything goes wrong, he's not happy about it. He's had a lot of trouble, especially recently, with his hearing. Because of that he has trouble with monitors and all that. Usually it's not a big deal, but sometimes (coupled with annoying audiences) it really makes him mad which can result in a shorter show. He's not as temperamental as he used to be before he got sober, so that's definitely a good thing. He doesn't like when people yell for songs and I can't say I blame him.

He definitely does not hate his audience like someone said. He just hates the people who won't enjoy the show for what it is and keep yelling for certain songs. He does play some "hits" (his older, popular songs), actually his shows recently have been a good mix. I went to the Vancouver show in July. His new album had only been out about 6 weeks and he only played 4 songs from it out of 20+ he did at the show. The rest were older.

Sometimes he doesn't talk to the audience at all, or at least very little. Other times, like in Vancouver, he's very talkative. Usually when that's the case, he's VERY random but funny. Some people hate that, others love it. Can't please everyone.

When it comes down to it, it's a bit of a gamble what kind of an attitude he'll have that night. The music will hands down always be great. Just a matter of how many songs he'll play and how much he'll talk. You just have to go in without a bunch of expectations and just enjoy the show. With that said, check out his music and if you really like it, you should definitely go. $32 is pretty good/average for shows like that no matter where you go, so it's a good deal. I just paid $80 each for tickets to the Tulsa show because they sold out so fast. Anyway, if you decide to go, enjoy!

I'm a huge Ryan Adams fan. Doesn't mean he's for everyone, same as any artist or band. Not everyone will like him. He's a very talented song writer, unlike a lot of music these days his is very interesting to me. Plus he's a great singer and the Cardinals are a great band. It's hard to classify him in a particular genre. Ranges from rock, acoustic, a little country. Just different. It's easy to find his music online so check it out before you make a decision.

As for him being and ass. Well, sometimes yes. From what I've seen/heard, he seems like a big perfectionist with his music. If anything goes wrong, he's not happy about it. He's had a lot of trouble, especially recently, with his hearing. Because of that he has trouble with monitors and all that. Usually it's not a big deal, but sometimes (coupled with annoying audiences) it really makes him mad which can result in a shorter show. He's not as temperamental as he used to be before he got sober, so that's definitely a good thing. He doesn't like when people yell for songs and I can't say I blame him.

He definitely does not hate his audience like someone said. He just hates the people who won't enjoy the show for what it is and keep yelling for certain songs. He does play some "hits" (his older, popular songs), actually his shows recently have been a good mix. I went to the Vancouver show in July. His new album had only been out about 6 weeks and he only played 4 songs from it out of 20+ he did at the show. The rest were older.

Sometimes he doesn't talk to the audience at all, or at least very little. Other times, like in Vancouver, he's very talkative. Usually when that's the case, he's VERY random but funny. Some people hate that, others love it. Can't please everyone.

When it comes down to it, it's a bit of a gamble what kind of an attitude he'll have that night. The music will hands down always be great. Just a matter of how many songs he'll play and how much he'll talk. You just have to go in without a bunch of expectations and just enjoy the show. With that said, check out his music and if you really like it, you should definitely go. $32 is pretty good/average for shows like that no matter where you go, so it's a good deal. I just paid $80 each for tickets to the Tulsa show because they sold out so fast. Anyway, if you decide to go, enjoy!

playing the Arlington in SB Jan. 21 for those that care.
    "That's the most gangster punk rock shit out there."- Z-Trip showing his love for Paul Tollett