Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave Grohl To Drum For Zeppelin?

Default Re: Dave Grohl To Drum For Zeppelin?

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    It was. I was half expecting them too go straight into a Nirvana cover right after too. Obviously, they didn't.

Me too! They came to Van with him on drums when I was... I musta been 14 or 15, and I didn't go. The Distillers were opening up too. That is probably my second biggest regret of a missed show.
    dude same. it is by far my number one regret.

what is your number one?
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    dude same. it is by far my number one regret.

what is your number one?
    Missing Death From Above 1979. Twice.

Once for Velvet Revolver.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

Missing Death From Above 1979. Twice.

Once for Velvet Revolver.

hahahahahahaa

thats bad man. but still im hung up on this qotsa thing.

i mean. if you think about it. they woulda played songs off self titled, rated r and songs for the deaf ONLY. in my opinion their three strongest albums.

as well as the lineup consisted of

josh homme (obviously)
    nick oliveri (so you woulda heard songs like jetplane, six shooter, etc..)
    troy van leeuwen (fresh off the apc line up)
    mark lannegan (screaming trees)
    and dave grohl (nirvana, foo fighters)

and i dunno about you but the club they played here holds about 300 people.

that woulda been fucking amazing

I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.

Yeah I know, that show woulda kicked ass. I miss Nick Oliveri.

They played a club down there? That would have been even more amazing? was it 21+? It would have been better that way, because at least you, technicaly, couldn't have gotten in.

They played a theatre up here. Seats 2,600. It still would have been pretty damn awesome. Or maybe they played the Commodore, that holds 900. I am going to have to look into it.

Lucky enough to see that. Missed DFA too as well and Fantomas with the Melvins on 4/20

Yeah I know, that show woulda kicked ass. I miss Nick Oliveri.

They played a club down there? That would have been even more amazing? was it 21+? It would have been better that way, because at least you, technicaly, couldn't have gotten in.

They played a theatre up here. Seats 2,600. It still would have been pretty damn awesome. Or maybe they played the Commodore, that holds 900. I am going to have to look into it.
    they played what was called the graceland yeah. weird i dunno why. i wonder if we are thinking of different tours cuz this was right before songs for the deaf was coming out, i found out about em on accident. before no one knows came out or anything. so i think for the most part they were still relativley small. no idea if it was 21+ or not, i dunno but either way im sure they woulda let me sit in on soundcheck or something. i was just too young to understand. i picked going to the tool show over seeing that. and to this day i would love to go back and switch it. but hey, who knew

Quote Originally Posted by gratytrainridesagain View Post
    Lucky enough to see that. Missed DFA too as well and Fantomas with the Melvins on 4/20
    ive hung out wiht both of them a few times great guys. but again, id trade it to have seen that qotsa show

they played what was called the graceland yeah. weird i dunno why. i wonder if we are thinking of different tours cuz this was right before songs for the deaf was coming out, i found out about em on accident. before no one knows came out or anything. so i think for the most part they were still relativley small. no idea if it was 21+ or not, i dunno but either way im sure they woulda let me sit in on soundcheck or something. i was just too young to understand. i picked going to the tool show over seeing that. and to this day i would love to go back and switch it. but hey, who knew
    I found out about them by accident too I seen them at Ozzfest 2000 (to be a young dumb metalhead again) and was just blown away. Then found out they were coming it was an 21 plus show but luckily enough my buddy knew the door guy and i was able to get in to a venue that can hold maybe 500 people there were only like a 100 but they just rocked it as hard as ever.

We are man. You are thinking of the 2002 tour. I am thinking of the 2003 tour. It turns out on the tour they played the Showbox. Which is still a pretty small venue.
    Apparently Dave Grohl was with them on the 2003 tour as well. Or was he not?

We are man. You are thinking of the 2002 tour. I am thinking of the 2003 tour. It turns out on the tour they played the Showbox. Which is still a pretty small venue.
    Apparently Dave Grohl was with them on the 2003 tour as well. Or was he not?
    oh yeah then showbox is like 1000 people. supposedly. but i doubt it. id say more like 700

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

this would blow dave grohl's head up to the size of a hot air balloon. seriously. do we really want that?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    this would blow dave grohl's head up to the size of a hot air balloon. seriously. do we really want that?
    truth. but really. its not like the guy hasnt earned his clout

I don't care what anyone thinks... I fuckin love Dave Grohl.

He could really whip a polar bear's ass.

truth. but really. its not like the guy hasnt earned his clout
    I could argue.

i looked on the zep site and it didnt say anything .. i was thinking of joining their fan club if they have one, to maybe get tics easier ... there is a cool thread about all their past shows there so i had to post on the denver show they did here in 68 .. canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

This is kind of hard to read, but it is interesting . I like how the review said plants vocals were above average but nothing special lol and for those who never have heard or saw Sprit, they were really good

canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I could argue.
    please do?

started out in scream. joined nirvavna when he moved to washington. started the foo fighters from the ground up in nirvanas ashes. and has since gone on to drum in the studio (and on tour with queens) for qotsa, nin, killing joke. as well as despite his mainstream popularity he went ahead and made the probot disc to be true to his metal influences from when he was a kid. and even if you dont like metal you gotta give him props for doing something like that just for the sake of doing it cuz he liked it. and not for the money

edit: oh as well as drumming on the tenacious d record when they were nobodies
    Last edited by superfiction; 01-08-2008 at 12:17 PM.

please do?

started out in scream. joined nirvavna when he moved to washington. started the foo fighters from the ground up in nirvanas ashes. and has since gone on to drum in the studio (and on tour with queens) for qotsa, nin, killing joke. as well as despite his mainstream popularity he went ahead and made the probot disc to be true to his metal influences from when he was a kid. and even if you dont like metal you gotta give him props for doing something like that just for the sake of doing it cuz he liked it. and not for the money
    Plus, to be able to write 12 different metal songs all in a different style to fit each singers style is pretty brilliant. Especially since all of the songs are fucking good metal songs. Dave Grohl is a musical genius. Listen to all of the different things he has written, instruments he has played, performed with, collaborated with, so just except it. The only thing that Dave Grohl has against him by some critics is his popularity and it is actually well deserved.
    Check out Sleeping In Is Giving In for great mixes and other cool stuff

Dave Grohl >>> Kurt Cobain
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Kevin and Bean are doing a breakfast with the Foo Figthers. They usually have portions where the fans can ask random questions. Just have someone ask this and see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Kurt Cobain changed the landscape of music forever. Dave Grohl will contribute (and already has) way more.

please do?

edit: oh as well as drumming on the tenacious d record when they were nobodies
    I never thought the drumming in his Nirvana records was anything spectacular. I feel like it could have been him or some other dude. the Foo Fighters have barely ever made me turn my head, I always felt that they would never have been nearly as succesful if Dave Grohl hadn't once sat so close to Kurt Cobain. I like his collaborative spirit, although I'm not familiar with the probot disc. and again, the QOTSA disc for example -- could've been him or some other dude.

honestly I'd give him a lot more credit if had achieved everything else you listed but never been in Nirvana. I'm still convinced that Kurt Cobain is responsible for Dave Grohl's entire career. but maybe I'm wrong.

No way. Not even close. Dave might be a better musician than Kurt was, but how far does that take you? Kurt wasn't the greatest at guitar, but does that diminish him? No.

Kurt was a FAR better song writer than Grohl ever will be, and his melodies he came up with are far more creative and catching. Plus personally, I like Kurt's voice 100x more, and I loved his approach and integrity/morals towards his music....lately it seems Dave is more interested in arena rock, being on top of the world, and playing before gigantic crowds, rather than approaching his music delicately and really creating something powerful and moving (just my opinion).

My biggest reason for loving and respecting Nirvana is mainly due to their attitude and integrity towards their music/art. I don't think Dave brought that along with him to the Foos. Yeah he's a big rich/famous rock star now, but no way is ever gonna change music the way Kurt did.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    lately it seems Dave is more interested in arena rock, being on top of the world, and playing before gigantic crowds, rather than approaching his music delicately and really creating something powerful and moving (just my opinion).

He just did a tour last year of small intimate theaters and venues that was all acoustic with an 8 piece band. Go listen to "Razor" from the Skin N' Bones live disc. Actually, just go listen to that whole album.

right, but in general terms, he just has a different approach to playing live and how it should be done....I mean more power to him if that's what he wants to do, but it's not really my style.

Also, I was gonna mention earlier, There Is Nothing Left To Lose, One by One, and In Your Honor (electric side) are really shitty albums...granted I like one or two tracks here and there, but it's early demos, self titled, and Colour and the Shape (early grohl stuff) for me, or nothing.

I never thought the drumming in his Nirvana records was anything spectacular. I feel like it could have been him or some other dude. the Foo Fighters have barely ever made me turn my head, I always felt that they would never have been nearly as succesful if Dave Grohl hadn't once sat so close to Kurt Cobain. I like his collaborative spirit, although I'm not familiar with the probot disc. and again, the QOTSA disc for example -- could've been him or some other dude.

honestly I'd give him a lot more credit if had achieved everything else you listed but never been in Nirvana. I'm still convinced that Kurt Cobain is responsible for Dave Grohl's entire career. but maybe I'm wrong.
    Have you listened to Bleach and then listened to Nevermind? Drumming style was different there. Nirvana also wasn't Nirvana without Dave, the beauty was not just Kurt but the 3 of them making music together. BTW I love and respect Kurt and his music, so this is not meant to put him down

Dave's music may not be your cup of tea but his talent is not singular it's rather versitale. The way Probot was created was him doing the music and sending out the demos to these metal gods and have them add the lyrics and vocals and additional music. And then he writes a song like everlong (sticking w mainstream stuff i dont know how familiar you'd be otherwise)

Also if you listen to Dave's drumming w/qotsa in comparison to joey castillo who is the current drummer they do have different styles.

Take a listen to Probot

http://www.myspace.com/probot

The other thing about Dave is he actually isn't an 'inflated ego dickhead who is too good for everyone rockstar' The man has legitamately been given the nickname as the nicest guy in rock, who is talented and THAT deserves respect imo
    Last edited by karecares; 01-08-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    He just did a tour last year of small intimate theaters and venues that was all acoustic with an 8 piece band. Go listen to "Razor" from the Skin N' Bones live disc. Actually, just go listen to that whole album.
    I was 2nd row at beacon theatre in nyc for the acoustic less than 1000 seats easily

front row at Irving Plaza which is about 1000 or so venue

i'm also going to see them at the Garden next month. They routinely play a variety of sized venues and regularly sell out tix

I always wonder how Kurt and Nirvana would have been viewed today if they were still around. Seriously, the best thing any musician can do for his career is to off himself during his prime. Nirvana and Kurt were always viewed pretty highly when they were in existence, but the way they are talked about now is almost laughable in my opinion.

Anyway, if you want to attribute Foos' fame to Nirvana, go ahead. But they are arguably bigger now than they ever have been. Up until their Weezer tour, they were stuck in theatres, but now they are playing arenas. The Nirvana connection translating to a large fanbase/popularity for sure has worn off by now.
    For your health

I don't think you'd even get Dave Grohl to agree with this. He is a very talented musician and unlike shakermaker, I think that his drumming for Nirvana was amazing and second only to Jimmy Chamberlain during the '90s. But yeah, for all the reasons menik detailed, Dave pales in comparison to Kurt. Technical refinement was never what Kurt or Nirvana were about, they were about passion and intensity. You could feel it in every track, and from the boxed set, it was even evident on the songs that just featured Kurt by himself on guitar (i.e. "Do Re Mi"). Dave's written some fantastic tracks (my favorite's always been "Everlong") but none of the singles off any Foos album since The Colour and the Shape has struck me as anything that demanded attention. That was certainly never the case with any of Nirvana's songs.
    I like the Coachella package they sent out this year. we now all have a snail.....cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    In 12 more years, that snail will be nice and ready for you to fuck it.

I'm sure all of you are correct. I just personally did not like Nirvana much. On the other hand, I like the things Dave Grohl has been involved with. So that's just my own opinion. I dare not argue about anything related to Nirvana with Erik. For I know nothing of that world.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****