Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Default Re: Headphones

I know you didn't want to see any of those canalphones, but the Creative EP-630's are really nice. I often fall asleep while wearing them and they don't hurt even if you're on the side of your head. They're also excellent at blocking outside noise. I used them at a party last weekend because the music was bad and I couldn't hear a damn thing! It was great.

They go for between $20-$30, but you can also get them off eBay (where I got mine) for <$5 (got mine for $3) and they're the real deal plus they come with 2 additional ear bud sizes.

As with the Pathfinder's I've owned a pair of those in the past and didn't really enjoy them. I had problems with them staying in my ear and the foam disconnecting from the plastic casing. Ended up returning them a few days later. Of course these could be an improved version of what I had can't really tell. They look the same, but I had mine back in 2007.
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Three Drivers!
    http://www.thescenestar.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Don't ever include Thrice in a fucking Sigur Ros thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Maybe more people would give a shit if he died two weekends in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I mentioned them in the hip hop thread somewhat recently, but I think the Sennheiser HD-280 PROs are some of the best headphones for your money at $100 or less.

We use these at the studio I work at and I absolutely love them. they're sturdy, very comfortable, and sound great. The over-ear cushions are really soft and do a lot in terms of noise-cancelling. Also, at 64-ohms they don't require a ton of amplification. If you take care of them they're last a looong time too!
    I've had a pair of these headphones since 2003 or 2004 (I can't remember, I've had them forever) and they're STILL AWESOME. They're a little beaten up physically at this point (some chipped plastic pieces, the plug is bent and some of the fabric is a little torn) but still work perfectly. I've stepped on them, thrown them around, taken them to everything I've DJed in the last four years, and they still own... if you treated them well they would probably last ten years. Also, the sound is great, and they keep out a great deal of external noise. They're maybe one of two commercial products on this planet that I'd go out of my way to recommend to people.

Can anyone recommend a pair of in-ear headphones that have a mic and remote on the cable for use with an iPhone 4? I have some adapters I got from Belkin to use with the iPhone 3G stock headphones to secure them in your ears, but the stock headphones for iPhone 4 seem a little smaller so the adapters just fall off.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    I get the 535s for 250 bucks... which is cost. Nothing can beat the value there. I was really happy with my 230s... got a chance to try out the 535s last week (3 drivers!) and I was blown away.
    my SE530s died a week or two ago. well, one side died. I need to send it in for repair. I think they may still be under warranty.

in the meantime I got the Klipsch s5i 'rugged' earbuds. They are supposed to be good for outdoor activities/workouts/etc. They pretty much suck at that. the wiring is wrong, the wires are too short if you want to loop the wires over your ears (to help keep them in place while jogging, for example). They come with different sized ear-tips but none seem to be big enough for me. They keep wanting to fall out.

so, do not buy the Klipsches.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

4 Drivers or GTFO.

V-Modas are really good and sturdy. I've dropped them, ridden my bike through the rain with them and they're pretty rugged while sounding awesome. Dre beats are okay, too much bass for my taste. I wonder if those Daft Punk ones are any good.
    http://www.thescenestar.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Don't ever include Thrice in a fucking Sigur Ros thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Maybe more people would give a shit if he died two weekends in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    my SE530s died a week or two ago. well, one side died. I need to send it in for repair. I think they may still be under warranty.
    i got the 535s the other day. they are incredible. i don't foresee any of the cable shortage issues that I experienced with my 230s because the cabling is reinforced all over the place. they also fit more snugly in my ears because the actual phones pivot on the cable. also rad that the phones snap off the cable just in case it does short somehow.

but the sound... oh my god. completely blown away. the best bass I have heard in any sub-grand headphones. really clear without being overbearing. looking forward to listening to all my favorite headphone albums.

I mentioned them in the hip hop thread somewhat recently, but I think the Sennheiser HD-280 PROs are some of the best headphones for your money at $100 or less.

[see image above]

We use these at the studio I work at and I absolutely love them. they're sturdy, very comfortable, and sound great. The over-ear cushions are really soft and do a lot in terms of noise-cancelling. Also, at 64-ohms they don't require a ton of amplification. If you take care of them they're last a looong time too!
    I got a pair of these for Christmas (picked out by me) and I am very happy. They hold on to my head nicely and I am very happy with the bass response.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    Can anyone recommend a pair of in-ear headphones that have a mic and remote on the cable for use with an iPhone 4? I have some adapters I got from Belkin to use with the iPhone 3G stock headphones to secure them in your ears, but the stock headphones for iPhone 4 seem a little smaller so the adapters just fall off.
    yeah, the V-modas are really nice for your intended use. vinylmartyr should be chiming in here any minute.

old school

Ha, I just got these for Christmas. I echo all the praise, great fucking headphones.

Are any of the Beats headphones worth the price?
    I guess I'm specifically talking about the in-ear ones, as they don't have (thankfully) test models at Best Buy.

I think if i were to drop money on any, it'd be the Tour ones (flat cord, iphone compatible with the remote on it).

But i dunno if i can justify spending $150 on headphones...
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    I prefer the Sony MDR-V6s.

There is a reason they have been making these exact model of headphones for 20 years or whatever it is with no substantial changes.

Investing in some of these with my christmas gift money and I am really fucking excited.

looking forward to listening to all my favorite headphone albums.
    This could make for a good thread. What might some of those be?

old school

Stanton Dynaphase series. No longer in production but well worth picking up if you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    Investing in some of these with my christmas gift money and I am really fucking excited.
    Invest in the Beyerdynamic Velour pads. They are incredibly comfy and and they dont make your ears sweat as much.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    This could make for a good thread. What might some of those be?
    Kid A is the first thing I tried out. I followed it up with some things from this year (Demdike Stare, Caboladies, BJ Nilsen, Eleh, Avey Tare, Alessandro Bosetti and Rene Hell). Then I snagged a few old favorites like Medulla, Strawberry Jam, A Love Supreme, Harmony in Ultraviolet and Draft 7.30. It would make a good thread though.

I realized I can justify downloading a lot more stuff in FLAC with these. It's cake to tell the difference.

I got those 280 hd pros for Christmas too, haha. The sound/bass is amazing and I can comfortably wear them for a long time.

alright, became a lemming and grabbed the sennheiser 280 pro's today at best buy, now to break them in...

...and not sure i am a fan of giant headphones. been dealing with musician earplugs for so long that i guess i am just accustomed to in ear phones, too. thinking about upgrading to a pair of the shure se315. anyone tried them? don't really want to drop the extra $100 for the next step up.

alright, need opinions.

can get the new shure se315 for $199 via amazon or an older model, but next step up, shure se420 for $199.

my dad has the shure 310s and loves them. he's had them for 4 years and going strong. he had to have one of the cables swapped out once, but the warranty covered it (he was just inside the 2 year limit, else you have to pay like 35 bucks). i haven't tried the 4xx models, only the 2s, 3s, and 5s.

looking at the old 420 model you do get two drivers per ear vs. the single driver in the 315... but you lose the beefed up cable design and snap off connection of the new models. sounds like a toss up either way.

Beefed up cables could be important. I think the problem with my 530s started with my cat having a nibble on the cable. over time with wear i think the slight defect that introduced eventually caused a short.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

alright, placed an order for the 315's, time to replace my se210's that have seen better days. now to hope they actually make it to me here in the hospital tomorrow, thanks $3.99 overnight shipping from amazon!

my dad has the shure 310s and loves them. he's had them for 4 years and going strong. he had to have one of the cables swapped out once, but the warranty covered it (he was just inside the 2 year limit, else you have to pay like 35 bucks). i haven't tried the 4xx models, only the 2s, 3s, and 5s.

looking at the old 420 model you do get two drivers per ear vs. the single driver in the 315... but you lose the beefed up cable design and snap off connection of the new models. sounds like a toss up either way.
    actually found a couple reviews online comparing the two and consensus was that even with a single driver the 315's were superior to the 420's overall. really dig the clear look they have, along with the moldable wires where they go over the ear.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 01-06-2011 at 02:55 PM.

I found this when I went off searching for earphone recommendations - I'd realized I'd had the same really low end canal phones for like 6+ years, and now I feel overwhelmed (and like I might want to order a bunch to try ).

Has anyone that wears glasses found a very comfortable pair of over-the-ear headphones? I prefer those for listening at home but have never found a pair that are comfortable for more than a few minutes when wearing glasses. Most are kind of on the small side (though I don't feel like I have big ears), and press the top of my ear against the stems of my glasses. I've really only tried various Sony and Sennheiser in the past (I always end up with free headphones each time my brother gets bored or upgrades).

Alright, sending the shure se315's back. Just not feeling they are worth $200, even though I love the new cable system.

In exchange I have now ordered the Etymotic HF5's. $120 and more of a history of good reviews over the last few years. Anyone tried these before?

Hope these are the ones. Getting sick of reading reviews by snobby audiophiles while just trying to find a decent pair of phones. At least being in the hospital has afforded me this "luxury" of research time.

I returned a pair of HF5s... I can't stand artificially tight bass and it was really bad with those; it's one of the reasons I'm so big on the Shures.

edit: to clarify. it's not that the bass is overwhelming... it's actually about right. it's just that the driver kinda locks up if bass kicks into gear and the sound gets really tense. probably intentionally designed over compensation in order to deal with the mid-range components.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 01-12-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Well, shit, haha. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Crazy how different opinions are when it comes to a good pair. One mans shit is another's gold standard...

Have been a little hesitant, been a shure user for around 5 years and am so used to their sound. One thing I plan on doing, which several have mentioned actually changes the sound of the hf5's a bit, is to use the shure foam tips with the etymotic's. Can't stand flange style tips.

One thing that has me terribly concerned this trip to the hospital is some significant loss of hearing in my right ear. Not sure if it is from sinus surgery or what. My ent mentioned some possible fluid in the ear and that while under for sinus surgery they would evaluate me for a myringotomy/draining of the ear. Problem is I haven't seen my doc the last few days, so haven't asked if anything was done...or needs to be done.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 01-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.

yeah flange tips drive me nuts. i'm curious to hear what you think, they were an immediate turn off to me. i'd rather my bass be mellow (which is inevitable with buds/canalphones) than it be detrimental to the rest of the signal. It wasn't overwhelming, but it was enough for me to return them.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I just replaced my live cans with some shure 750s. not as flat a response as the beyer dynamic or the A&H options, but I HAD to get a set with a detachable replaceable cable. I have cats.