Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Default Re: Headphones

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's. I love 'em although they have a relatively flat frequency response. I would not get them for all-around listening, they are def. more geared towards DJ/monitoring applications.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

So I tried on my roommate's newly acquired Beats by Dre today and still cannot believe someone dropping $360 for a pair. What pieces of shit (for the price).

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

I am looking at earphones, preferably as noise cancelling as possible, for under $200. The Shure SE315s look real nice. anyone reccomend em?

i enjoyed them, but once i found the ultimate ears triple fi's for under $200 i had to go with them. three speakers and amazing sound, more enjoyable for my taste than the overly warm shure's, for the same price of the shure's. i even ripped the wire out of the earphone(the wires are removable, but i pulled it out of the connector by accident) and logitech replaced them no questions asked with a brand new pair. i actually lost the entire earphone before mailing it back and they didn't even care. great customer service. if you can find the triple fi's for the same price i would go with them. if you go with them just make sure it's through an authorized dealer so the warranty is valid.

when i decided on those i was actually in the hospital and used amazon to try a bunch of different brands. signed up for the amazon prime trial which included free 2 day shipping for 30 days and went through 3-4 different pairs to settle on the triple fi's. easy to return(you do pay for that, though) with no questions asked and pretty much anything you are looking for.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 10-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I am interested to hear what you think; I am considering getting bluetooth headphones for my commute.

I had been using earbuds but one of the buds gave out and now I'm using my Sennheisers I posted about earlier. Which are great at isolation and have fantastic sound.. but are also bulky for lugging around and have a heavy cord.
    I ended up getting Creative WP-300s.

I have been using them for a few weeks listening from my Droid and they are great. I use them quite a bit more than my bulk Sennheisers, just because they are so easy and I don't have to worry about a cord. I wore them a recent Sunday afternoon when I had to walk past Rockafeller Center which was just flooded in with people... and the music helped me stay sane.

There are rare blips - mostly only when I bump my phone which is odd - but the sound has been good. They are not as isolating or deep as my Sennheiser 280s but, again, way more convenient.

Sometimes an sound playing app - I'm looking at you, featureless default music player - I don't use regularly will start up when I connect to bluetooth or when I hit a control button but that got better (if not entirely fixed) by playing around with some app settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I have $200 to spend on some new headphones, and I've been reading this thread looking for advice on what to pick up. I can't stand the in-ear buds, so I'm looking at cans, and I think I'm gonna pick between the Grado SR225i or the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Just wanted to toss out a bump and see if anyone has any advice on which to pick, or if there's another brand in the $200 area that you prefer?

im looking at grado's as well but im curious how they do with noise cancelling. i know they arent designed as a noise cancelling headphone but is there a lot of bleed on planes and in the city and such? most of my use is for travel and on my walk to work everyday so obviously noise is a huge concern for me
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

I actually had a pair of SR-80 a while ago, and they're open ear, so noise gets in and out very easily. If you're going around loud, busy areas, the grado probably aren't the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by cormaic View Post
    I actually had a pair of SR-80 a while ago, and they're open ear, so noise gets in and out very easily. If you're going around loud, busy areas, the grado probably aren't the best bet.
    thanks for the heads up!
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

I finally procured for some decent headphones--Bose OEs and Klipsch IMAGE S4 IEs. Couldn't be happier, too.

Quote Originally Posted by cormaic View Post
    I have $200 to spend on some new headphones, and I've been reading this thread looking for advice on what to pick up. I can't stand the in-ear buds, so I'm looking at cans, and I think I'm gonna pick between the Grado SR225i or the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Just wanted to toss out a bump and see if anyone has any advice on which to pick, or if there's another brand in the $200 area that you prefer?
    \

I got the Grados, which I bought about three months ago. They sound great and seem the most clear of the headphones that I listened to. My wife says that they get uncomfortable, which they do but only after wearing them for about two hours.

But yeah, they are open ear so you cant really blast them in confined spaces like airplanes.

Other than that, they are amazingly clear, which I appreciate over everything else.

totobay is having a sale on Beats by Dre headphones. I might pick up a pair of the earbuds for $12.

http://email.totobay.com/em/display....S=56&L=22&N=21

Those are as legit as this was:

LooseAtTheZoo - I have a pair of Klipsch Image S3s that I really like. I think I got them for around $30-40, they're really comfortable, have great sound, and they actually stay in your ears. The only problem is the cord transmits a lot of noise so wearing them while working out will cause some sound interference. If you don't mind that (or just get used to it), I'd recommend these.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I'm looking for recommendations for new earphones / canalphones. I've tried the bose in-ear phones, some sony brand, and the soundmagic pl30s. they are all fired for durability problems. looking through order histories it seems I have tried the shure se210s also though I have no recollection of it.

does anybody make earphones that won't crap out on me after a few months?

Wow, you are harder on your gear than I am. Only a few mos, eh. Sounds like you just may have to accept that you beat up your gear and deal with it. The problem you may have going with more pricey phones is that you will start beating them up in month 4-5 and then you have an expensive piece of trash. If you liked the PL30s, you may just want to buy a few to keep on hand and think of them as somewhat disposable. That's where I've been the past year or so. Ironically, I've had the same pair of PL30s now for going on 6-7 mos (fingers crossed). Do you use the ear stems to wrap them around? Or, is your break point at the plug?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Maybe you need a case to keep them in - are you coiling your phones around your ipod and shoving the whole thing in your pockets/bag?
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 03-20-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Right now I have some Brainwavz M2s, and the cord construction is very good and feels solid. Sound wise they are low-mid heavy like every other pair I've heard, but it's not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Those look interesting. Are they actually metal or faux-tal? And, I bet they are very loud, eh (efficiency rating). Cool that they come with Comply foam tips. Those are the best. How much are they?

The housing is aluminum, and they are nice and light. I think I paid like 50 bucks for them from that mp4 nation site or whatever it was. They dont get everyday use from me but they are thrown around a lot in my laptop bag and are still kicking. I've had em for at least a year I would say.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    Sounds like you just may have to accept that you beat up your gear and deal with it. The problem you may have going with more pricey phones is that you will start beating them up in month 4-5 and then you have an expensive piece of trash.
    yeah that may be the case. a few of the mentioned did end up being expensive pieces of trash. I thought I would investigate first though.

the wire usually ends up with a dodgy connection near the plug or near one of the phones, causing me to have to jiggle it a bit to get sound in both ears. the latest pair of PL30s haven't done that, but they have started making an occasional, rather disturbing, electrical sounding buzz in the right ear. not very comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    are you coiling your phones around your ipod and shoving the whole thing in your pockets/bag?
    yup, exactly what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Right now I have some Brainwavz M2s, and the cord construction is very good and feels solid. Sound wise they are low-mid heavy like every other pair I've heard, but it's not bad.
    cool. I might check those out before resigning myself to continuing to cycle through something cheaper.

I am expecting my first child in June and am looking for (noise cancelling?) headphones so I can drag her around with me. This being my first child, I obviously have no idea what I am doing. Anyone have any pointers on what I need to be looking for as far as specs go? or just point me in the right direction to the best phones for the money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

confused. you mean hearing protection for the kid?

if that then just get these, all us parents use them for our kids:
    http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-90553-K...3040679&sr=8-1

yes. those. thank you.

any other brands I should compare? Or are these pretty much the the best on the market for the money?

a quick search told me these are the best for the money ( plus they are made in the USA) their only downside is that they do not fold. Not a huge problem in my opinion.

bought.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 03-29-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Congrats!
    last.fm

So I'm in the market for some good quality headphones. I have no experience with really good headphones so I'd love some recommendations. I'm looking to spend no more than $200. So far I'm interested in the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Closed Studio Headphones, or the Sony MDR V700DJ headphones. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Also, please don't say Dre Beats cuz I REFUSE to spend that much money. fuck that.

Well, we wouldn't recommend Beats because they aren't good headphones. I wouldn't recommend the Sony V700s either, because like the Beats headphones, they are fairly inaccurate and are far from a flat frequency response curve. At your price point you are probably going to be looking at some Sennheiser 280s, Sony MDR V6s, Shure SRH440s or something by Grado. Opinions here will vary on which of those are the best sub-$200 pair. Personally I like the Sony V6s.
    last.fm

I have a pair of Denon AH-D1100, in addition to a Japanese-build Sony V6 (which you cannot find any longer...apparently, the new builds lack the same bass response). Although the Denons are usually my go-to these days, both of these are great cans, imo.

Review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373996,00.asp

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm definitely going to look into these. I'm going to be using these for casual listening, I'm not necessarily an "audiophile," nor will I be using these for studio related purposes. I mainly listen to Electronic music so I'd love to get a pair of cans that emphasize the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Well, we wouldn't recommend Beats because they aren't good headphones. I wouldn't recommend the Sony V700s either, because like the Beats headphones, they are fairly inaccurate and are far from a flat frequency response curve. At your price point you are probably going to be looking at some Sennheiser 280s, Sony MDR V6s, Shure SRH440s or something by Grado. Opinions here will vary on which of those are the best sub-$200 pair. Personally I like the Sony V6s.
    Just read a bunch of reviews of the Shure SRH440s on Amazon and they sound like the best bang for your buck. At around $90 bucks it sounds like I can't go wrong. I think I'll try these out.