Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Default Re: Headphones

would if I could. my dad can only buy a pair a year.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    cool, i just won a pair of these from The Scenestar. thanks, Oscar

What do you think of these so far? need a new pair and looking at the black/green version as an option.

Anyone ever used these before? Sony MDR-XB500's, they are a $30 more than the above pair and am curious if there is much of a difference.

vinylmartyr

Whoa $500. I bet they cost $30 to make. I would be glad to send both of you guys some earbuds to compare to those. Prolly don't sound quite as nice but for $400 less they do the trick.

don't get the Sony's i won. it was a lovely gesture on Oscar's part, but those 'phones were utter crap. i gave them to my 13yo nephew. he has no clue that they're garbage....he just thinks they look cool and is psyched that they were free.

jeff, out of curiosity, which V-Modas are available at your generous boardie discount?

i loved my Vibes for years before coming across the Soundmagics. maybe the 2nd gen of those might bring me back?

I've always been a Shure person, but I've been using the V-Modas more often, lately, because they're pretty damn comfortable.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

vinylmartyr

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    jeff, out of curiosity, which V-Modas are available at your generous boardie discount?

i loved my Vibes for years before coming across the Soundmagics. maybe the 2nd gen of those might bring me back?

Vibes are discontinued. Remix replaced the vibes PM me your address and I will send you a pair.

Anyone have suggestions on over the ear or clip on headphones $100 or lower? Not a fan of buds at all and my stanton headphones just broke as well as my small philips clip ons. I don't really like ear bud style headphones but was thinking about getting these Sennheiser OCX 880's since it's not completely ear bud headphones. Any suggestions or reviews would help. Thanks.

vinylmartyr

I will give a pair of crossfade's to the coachella lineup pool winner. Or mostly likely the 2nd place person since i'm gonna win.

I've tried V-Moda phones before... They are solid for the price point. But they don't really meet my needs.

I get the 535s for 250 bucks... which is cost. Nothing can beat the value there. I was really happy with my 230s... got a chance to try out the 535s last week (3 drivers!) and I was blown away.

vinylmartyr

Yea the engineers here say they have some hearing aid technology they license for those. Thats why the price point it so high.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    would if I could. my dad can only buy a pair a year.
    well then i will get in touch with you in january

I saw destructo wearing v-moda's when he was spinning at drai's.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    Yea the engineers here say they have some hearing aid technology they license for those. Thats why the price point it so high.
    this seems like an absurd claim to be entirely honest... I could be wrong in this case, but traditionally a really great licensing fee for an invention component is 2% (so 10 bucks in this case). while licensing do definitely inflate price points if you end up stacking a ton of them... one won't make the difference between a 100 dollar pair of phones and a 500 dollar pair.

Again, I could definitely be wrong. This could definitely be one factor in the price point, but there are probably many more factors in terms of build quality and component quality as well.

vinylmartyr

I asked another engineer and he basically confirmed what you said.

vinylmartyr

He just said 3 drivers to me like 16 times.

Where can I get 4 drivers?
    http://www.thescenestar.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Don't ever include Thrice in a fucking Sigur Ros thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Maybe more people would give a shit if he died two weekends in a row.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I mentioned them in the hip hop thread somewhat recently, but I think the Sennheiser HD-280 PROs are some of the best headphones for your money at $100 or less.

We use these at the studio I work at and I absolutely love them. they're sturdy, very comfortable, and sound great. The over-ear cushions are really soft and do a lot in terms of noise-cancelling. Also, at 64-ohms they don't require a ton of amplification. If you take care of them they're last a looong time too!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

that's like 48 drivers. whoah.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I mentioned them in the hip hop thread somewhat recently, but I think the Sennheiser HD-280 PROs are some of the best headphones for your money at $100 or less.

We use these at the studio I work at and I absolutely love them. they're sturdy, very comfortable, and sound great. The over-ear cushions are really soft and do a lot in terms of noise-cancelling. Also, at 64-ohms they don't require a ton of amplification. If you take care of them they're last a looong time too!

Ha, I have those same headphones. I really love them, but I'm kind of getting sick of walking around campus with them on.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Bose headphones? I was looking into their in-ear headphones but really don't know either way.

hahahaha. i had the same reaction when I first read the spec sheet. i'm not sure I'm capable of rolling my eyes into the back of my head as far as my wife did when I tried to excitedly explain it to her.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by softbulletin View Post
    Ha, I have those same headphones. I really love them, but I'm kind of getting sick of walking around campus with them on.
    Yeah, i guess they're really not made for walking around. They're awesome for plane rides and just chilling in a home or office though. They're bulky.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post

I love these fucking things. They're the only headphones I've owned that haven't broken in less than 6 months.
    I still stand by these from a design perspective. I would totally invest in a better sounding pair if they utilized a similar design. They're comfortable and because they aren't put together with cheap fucking plastic, they're practically indestructible. I refuse to pay for headphones that will shatter within 3 months of buying them, I don't care how pristine the sound is. Please make more headphones with metal pieces, world.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I got some bose noise cancelling headphones as an early birthday gift. I suspect they're not nearly as good as some of the gear that's floating around this thread, but nice gift.

I'm trying to figure out if i should buy
    Sennheiser HD-280 PRO or Sony MDR-V300 or V-moda remix
    Last edited by getbetter; 11-01-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I'm looking for suggestions on good earplugs to wear to shows
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    I prefer the Sony MDR-V6s.

There is a reason they have been making these exact model of headphones for 20 years or whatever it is with no substantial changes.

one of the better recommendations i've taken away from this board. i just got a pair of these off eBay. took me forever to find some used ones made in Japan (all the new ones are from China/Thailand and the bottom end isn't as good, supposedly) but i did find a pair and swapped in the Beyer foam pads and they are quite marvellous. awesome imaging and dynamic range. if i were to nit-pick, it would be that they're not so great if you are moving (i.e. walking) as they knock around a bit causing cord noise (but that could just as easily be a fit problem in my case).

speaking of cans, this song is so fucking awesome for geeking out on sound quality. you may not like the song, but if you're a fan of well-produced, richly-layered/textured samples, this will most surely get you off (scroll down and click "download now" for the mp3). the opening with the synth dropping into the sub-bass is tits.

ps - thanks, Brandon.

I could use some tips from y'all - I plan on buying some earbuds (not headphones) for my mom for Christmas. She just needs them for her iPod for when she goes on walks. I'm looking for something that's obviously better than the earbuds that come with iPods, but not something super intricate, because well she probably wouldn't be able to tell that much of a difference. Looking to spend around $50.

And, probably not canalphones, those seem like they would bug her. Whatever the ones are called the look like hearing aids that have the thing that goes around the ear to hold it in place. That's pretty much what I'm looking for.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

As far as comfort goes, which I'm sure she'd appreciate, I haven't seen anything remotely close to these. I think earbuds are uncomfortable, these bad boys feel like memory foam in the ear canal. They squish and then expand once inside, highly recommended.