Thread: What are the odds of the following artists playing

Default What are the odds of the following artists playing

the fest

Afghan Whigs
    Swervedriver
    Ween
    Filter
    Superchunk(they played in ny over the summer)
    Grinderman

Default Re: What are the odds of the following artists playing

Let me peer into my crystal ball...

...it says that nobody here can possibly answer that question with any kind of authority, and anyone who says they can is full of it.

Actually, there is one person, but it's her policy to not comment on the lineup. Let's see if she'll make an exception for you. PF, care to weigh in on this pressing matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Actually, I can give you one small piece of guidance: Filter just played here (that's Fairbanks, Alaska, for those not paying attention) last week. When a band plays in Fairbanks there are only four possible explanations:
    1) It is a band which has yet to make it big but has enough money to tour and the band members want to see Alaska before they're so big that the label makes the decision that it makes no monetary sense. Example: strangely enough, this happened with Destiny's Child. I didn't go, but my sister did and she said it was a shitty show.
    2) It is a band which will never make it big. This is true of The Roman Candles and many other bands that act like they're hot shit and then never get signed or play a show outside the state.
    3) It is a famous band which either doesn't care about making money and just wanted to see Alaska, or was high when they were making touring decisions. This is very rare, but last year it happened with both Cake and Matisyahu. I was happy.
    4) It is a formerly famous band that is now either all the way washed up or moving swiftly in that direction. This would be Filter, Three Dog Night, ZZ Top, Jethro Tull, and a host of others.

That said, Coachella doesn't do much traffic in washed-up bands, so if you were dead set on catching a Filter show, you should have been here on December 15th and 16th. It was a lovely 30 degrees below zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Let me peer into my crystal ball...

...it says that nobody here can possibly answer that question with any kind of authority, and anyone who says they can is full of it.

Actually, there is one person, but it's her policy to not comment on the lineup. Let's see if she'll make an exception for you. PF, care to weigh in on this pressing matter?
    Actually, in past years PF has thrown us little bones about minor bands. Usually, she'll post some cryptic message with a bunch of clues, although I don't remember her doing that much last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

The murder capital where we murder for capital

and washed up bands play Coachella all the time. The Lemonheads played just last year and so did Rage against the Machine and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Actually, I can give you one small piece of guidance: Filter just played here (that's Fairbanks, Alaska, for those not paying attention) last week. When a band plays in Fairbanks there are only four possible explanations:
    1) It is a band which has yet to make it big but has enough money to tour and the band members want to see Alaska before they're so big that the label makes the decision that it makes no monetary sense. Example: strangely enough, this happened with Destiny's Child. I didn't go, but my sister did and she said it was a shitty show.
    2) It is a band which will never make it big. This is true of The Roman Candles and many other bands that act like they're hot shit and then never get signed or play a show outside the state.
    3) It is a famous band which either doesn't care about making money and just wanted to see Alaska, or was high when they were making touring decisions. This is very rare, but last year it happened with both Cake and Matisyahu. I was happy.
    4) It is a formerly famous band that is now either all the way washed up or moving swiftly in that direction. This would be Filter, Three Dog Night, ZZ Top, Jethro Tull, and a host of others.

That said, Coachella doesn't do much traffic in washed-up bands, so if you were dead set on catching a Filter show, you should have been here on December 15th and 16th. It was a lovely 30 degrees below zero.
    How insightful...and I thought Vegas was bad regarding shows.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

now who would have figured that my post would be ridiclous under posts of led zeppelin, pink floyd and the talking heads playing

Quote Originally Posted by jglembo View Post
    now who would have figured that my post would be ridiclous under posts of led zeppelin, pink floyd and the talking heads playing
    They are???!!?!?
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I thought it was Fuel who came up to Alaska, not Filter but then again I don't live in Fairbanks.

Also, you forgot two more reasons...

5) It is a somewhat current band who has had good commercial success but unfortunately only one or two bands and are booked over and over and over again due to the success of the shows, for example Godsmack.

6) It is a band that is coming up to AK because friends of the band said they had a very good time when they played there, for example Cursive and Bright Eyes.

Good call, it was indeed Fuel; my bad on that. In my defense, I was drunk and it was 5:30 AM.

Also, Bright Eyes never came to Fairbanks, but I was wondering why they came at all, so thanks for that. You're from... Eagle River?

Who is drunk @ 5:30am? What are you Alaskan? ......oh wait.......

id be very down for Filter...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Afghan Whigs - Doubt it. They played a couple times a couple years ago, but I don't think that there's any huge desire to do more than that.

Swervedriver - They've been rumored to be doing so, but I think that was more along the lines of "that would make sense", so I say not too likely

Ween - They would have played Coachella by now if they wanted to. I've always believed that they haven't due to set time limit constraints. I saw them open for the Flaming Lips and they seemed pretty distressed to only play an 80 minute set, and all of their fans were pissed. If GV gave them the Mojave or the Outdoor stage for 3 hours, then it's possible.

Filter - Probably pretty poor just because I don't think that they fit the demographic, but I could be wrong. They are touring in 2008, apparently, and there's a new album coming out.

Superchunk(they played in ny over the summer) - Maybe. They are touring this year.

Grinderman - Probably impossible, because Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are touring around then. They might be at Coachella, however.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Yep, Eagle River, boring as fuck.

You're right, Bright Eyes never did come up to Fairbanks but they were originally supposed to but something got fucked up along the process of booking them, I can't remember what happened exactly.

FUCK THIS THREAD
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Yep, Eagle River, boring as fuck.

You're right, Bright Eyes never did come up to Fairbanks but they were originally supposed to but something got fucked up along the process of booking them, I can't remember what happened exactly.
    Essentially, there was an enormous fight in the university(who were bringing him to Fairbanks)'s activities department about the cost of the concert which ended with the activities director quitting their job in protest (he was the one wanting to bring them up here) and the university retracting the invitation for Bright Eyes to play. Bright Eyes took the high road and apologized to all of the students at UAF via a full-page ad in the university paper.

Talking Re: What are the odds of the following artists playing

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    FUCK THIS THREAD

^ indeed
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/