Thread: Carpooling from Edmonton

Hybrid View

Default Carpooling from Edmonton

Has anyone driven to LA from Edmonton or to and from areas that are close? How much did it cost in gas...etc etc??
    Last edited by dnham; 01-04-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Default Re: Carpooling from Edmonton

I'm just commenting because I'm from Calgary. I'm flying though...

Although! I DID carpool to LA once. We went kind of 'hardcore' and drove straight, only stopping for fast food and to switch drivers .... so it took 30 hours. It wasn't that bad of an idea... cept next time I wouldn't do it with as many people (5 people in a sunfire, 30 hours? yikes... bad planning)

The gas was amazingly cheap. Keep in mind that was probably 3 years ago... I think it only came to like 250 - 300 dollars round trip. That sounds way too low... but I'm almost sure of it.

It was pretty conveniant to have a car once we got there too... but by then I dread the sight of it and any freeway traffic jams seemed like the worst form of torture. That's why I'm flying now.

Good luck!

Hey Melanie,

That was 250-300 round trip TOTAL? so splitting that between five...or was that per person...'cause that does seem ridiculously low!!!

I want to fly but having a car would be so convenient since we wanna take our time back and stop by a couple of cities too...and bring our camping gear and stuff 'cause I don't know if you'll be able to "carry on" camping gear into the states with all the sharp poles and what not.

I knew a man who had sex with a piece of bread.

yeah it was split 5 ways. So we all had to basically pay for one fill up. Not bad if you ask me.

I drove from Winnipeg, it was in '05 so I don't remember costs, sorry :s

We rented a mini-van, I think gas was around 5-600, cost of the van was about the same. stayed over in Denver, and Vegas on the way there. It was awesome, but we were rushed to get home on the way back. Drove STRAIGHT to Winnipeg, 26 hours. That wasn't too great, went up through Montana and then across South Dakota, bad idea. It was fun, but

I'd never do it again.

I've also driven to Las Vegas straight, it doesn't take as long as LA though (obviously). that was more recently and I think it took about 19 or 20 hours. We rented an Impala. I don't know why that, but it was very comfortable and surprisingly spacious.

I don't really know the point of this post.

Lurker

Hey I'm from Calgary and I'm trying to get a car pool of people from Alberta going down to Coachella 2008 this year. I've been on road trips to California and back, I would say it takes about 3 days comfortably (at least 2 over nights). But if you want to go hardcore and drive straight, you could do it with one over night.

I went to Burning Man last year, it's near Reno, Nevada. I can't wait to see what Coachella has to offer.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I posted this above already but... I'm from Calgary... we drove straight to LA and it took 30 hours, with only stops for food (drive thru of course) and we didn't stop to sleep. It was shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie.Dawn View Post
    Hey Jeff, I posted this above already but... I'm from Calgary... we drove straight to LA and it took 30 hours, with only stops for food (drive thru of course) and we didn't stop to sleep. It was shifts.
    You are so Hcore I love it hahaha. My only worry is I won't make it on time but we're leaving the afternoon of the 24th...and going straight there...we'll probably get there late 25th. Do you think that's do-able if we just drove straight lke you guys did?

dam, calgary!? winnepeg? i was wary of driving from vancouver but good to know its do-able!!

dnham if you leave on the 24th you'll miss fridays shows... i don't know if you care or not. We drove from Edmonton last year and the year before. Not stopping to sleep and really cruising it takes a good 24 hours to get to Vegas. Coachellas about 4.5-5 hours from there.
    How many people you got driving? If its less than 4 id really recommend leaving earlier... you'll be so exhausted the whole weekend. It's usually just two of us that drive and we always take a couple days relaxing by the pool in vegas.

Devon
    06 07 08 09 10

We spent $900 and abit on gas last year in a Nissan Pathfinder. we also cruised down to San Diego and the Baja peninsula in Mexico and then drove up the coast though (probably an extra 1000 km or so with all the driving we did around there). The year before we took a GMC Envoy XL and spent about $1100 on gas without going to san diego/baja.
    06 07 08 09 10