View Poll Results: Smashing Pumpkins instead of Bjork

Voters
385. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    198 51.43%
  • No

    187 48.57%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 217

Thread: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

  1. #61
    old school Tylerdurden31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY...the non-hipster part
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowShoe View Post
    the Pumpkins are better than almost every band from the 90's.

    in fact, I can't name one right now that had better songs.
    I love the pumpkins...but BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    seriously though. When people say things like this, it makes me wonder how much music they've listened to. You are entitled to your opinion...I just don't agree with it.

    It's also an extremely bold statement to make without any real reason behind it.
    Last edited by Tylerdurden31; 01-29-2007 at 08:58 AM. Reason: cuz i felt like it damnit

  2. #62

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    The amount of subjectivity masquerading as objectivity is my favorite part of this board.

  3. #63

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Smashing Pumpkins... i agree, it would be more special if James Iha was part of the reemergence of the S.P., but still Billy is a great musician and Jimmy is a great drummer and I have a feeling they could still rock some faces off. So with that said, I will be excited if they added on or was a surprise guest.
    But i would not trade s.p. for bjork... my greediness wishes that they are both there to put me in awwwwhhh.

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, wi
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Their current album is still in the Top 50 of the Billboard 200 and has sold 1.8 million copies. I'm not saying they should be playing Coachella this year, but they're certainly still huge - one of the best selling rock cd's of 2006.
    What's your point? Since when does the majority of people liking something equal it being good? They're big because they're on billboard? Well maybe we should start booking Justin Timberlake, Nickelback, Carrie Underwood, Beyonce, Ciara and GASP Gwen Stefani. I don't care how many albums you sell, it doesn't mean you're relevant.

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, wi
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    1. THE FACT THEY ARE NOT - as reported on every fucking music source/mag in the last year.
    If it's in every single music source/mag, you'll have no problem finding a reference.

    Not that it matters. It's not like rollingstone didn't report that the pumpkins were playing coachella this year. In reality, No one out of the pumpkins camp, or James Iha or D'arcy Wretzky's has made any comment on whether or not they're in the band.

  6. #66

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    no one said anything about being "good".
    he argument is that rhcp are still big and relevant.
    the album sales, nominations, ticket sales, etc. show this.

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, wi
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    if they are relevant because they sell records then so is nickelback. there's a difference between being popular and being relevant

  8. #68

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    rhcp is relevant because they were once a critically acclaimed, influential band that sold millions of records.
    don't bring in any other modern rock band into discussion because none of them have ever garnered the positive reviews like rhcp.
    they are the only ones who can degrade their legacy, not you.

  9. #69
    old school Tylerdurden31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY...the non-hipster part
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettojournalist View Post
    they are the only ones who can degrade their legacy, not you.

    and they've done a helluva job

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, wi
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Calm down, when did I ever say RHCP's album sales make them good? Relevance is subjective anyway. I'm sure somehow, Britney Spears is relevant to many people.
    i didn't mean to come off as worked up.

  11. #71
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    2,684

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by arlyn View Post
    What's your point? Since when does the majority of people liking something equal it being good? They're big because they're on billboard? Well maybe we should start booking Justin Timberlake, Nickelback, Carrie Underwood, Beyonce, Ciara and GASP Gwen Stefani. I don't care how many albums you sell, it doesn't mean you're relevant.
    Calm down, when did I ever say RHCP's album sales make them good? Relevance is subjective anyway. I'm sure somehow, Britney Spears is relevant to many people.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, wi
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettojournalist View Post
    rhcp is relevant because they were once a critically acclaimed, influential band that sold millions of records.
    "were" is the key word here. I'll give you none of the other bands ever garnered that sort of acclaim. RHCP are our generations Rolling Stones. They'll be touring when they're 90 and selling out arenas, and it will be disgusting. I'm just already disgusted. I guess I should be happy the Stones aren't headlining.

  13. #73

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    The Chilli Peppers are a worthy headliner. That's all I'll say about that. As far as Bjork goes, she should be put in the corner dance tent just like Madonna was last year. The Pumpkins would be a much better headliner.

  14. #74

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    No pumpkins

  15. #75
    Lurker mojomixup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by carlarella View Post
    i love bjork and the chili peppers are great live. no doubt these will be two amazing performances.
    refreshing to see some straight positive vibes out there in Coachella land. What is wrong with you people? there always got to be something to be pissed about? This is going to be the time of my life! lets share some excitement not pessimism.

  16. #76
    Coachella Junkie summerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,661

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    and they've done a helluva job
    Seriously has anyone heard about how dani california is a complete ripoff of Tom Petty's mary jane's last dance? I mean it sounds almost exactly the same. http://hype.non-standard.net/search/...ili%peppers/1/

    If it doesn't work then just search hype.non-standard.net and search for chili peppers and its under tom petty vs RHCP

  17. #77
    Member indiekid89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    SMASHING PUMKINS SHOULD TAKE RAGE'S HEADLINING SPOT!!!!

  18. #78
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    RHCP did not ripoff anything, thats just some stupid rumor that started when their cd came out and some fools decided to run with that theory.

    If you actually think RHCP would ripoff music from anyone then you are just complete fool.

    Smashingpumpkins rule!

  19. #79
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,409

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by indiekid89 View Post
    SMASHING PUMKINS SHOULD TAKE RAGE'S HEADLINING SPOT!!!!

  20. #80
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,233

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Where were you in the 90's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When were you born? You got your musical tastes straight from the tit at MTV.
    NIRVANA!!!!!!, Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth, Pavement,Verve, Swervedriver, My Bloody Valentine etc. etc. Pumpkins couldn't rock their way out of a paper bag compared to these bands! Even when they were the original band they were hit & miss live all three times I saw them. Billy is a great writer he needs to keep it in the studio not on the road.
    Last edited by shoegazer76; 01-29-2007 at 02:12 PM.

  21. #81
    Coachella Junkie summerkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,661

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDangerously View Post
    RHCP did not ripoff anything, thats just some stupid rumor that started when their cd came out and some fools decided to run with that theory.

    If you actually think RHCP would ripoff music from anyone then you are just complete fool.
    Have you listened to it? And I wouldn't say that i'm a fool for believing rhcp ripped off something. they haven't put out anything innovative for years. Not to mention i recall something about them stealing the title of Californicatioin from Mr. Bungle so this isn't the first time this kind of accusations have occured and I'm a pretty big believer in "if there's enough smoke then there's a fire"

  22. #82

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    anthony tries to sing like ronnie spector in "snow".

  23. #83
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,254

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    If it was Smashing Pumpkins instead of Arcade Fire, I'd vote YES. SP is slightly better.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

  24. #84

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    the closest SP will get to being at coachella this year is as a sample used during the Girl Talk set.

  25. #85

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    I don't understand all the animosity towards the Pumpkins. They were without a doubt one of the hallmarks of our generation. Shit, I didn't even know who Bjork was until I was in highschool (and that doesn't attribute to a poor music taste as some would claim). Nothing against her, I think she's an amazing musician. I just think the Pumpkins merit a headlining spot since the rest of the headliners have already done their time at Coachella. Some will say you can never see Bjork live too many times, I haven't, I just honestly don't know how or why Bjork deserves to top the Pumpkins. Look at their career that spanned over the last 20 years, you have to admit it shined just a little brighter than Bjork.

    At the same time, I also sympathize with the people that don't want to see them. I've heard some terrible live performances from past Pumpkins shows where Billy's voice is ruining everything. However, if you listen to live recordings or attended a show from 98-00, you'll notice a huge improvement from his previous style (for the record, Corgan HAS taken vocal coaching). It's only my opinion that their return would be welcomed and highly anticipated. I don't feel I'm biased, that's just how I feel.

    I can't imagine who the next big surprises are going to be, it just seems logical that the Pumpkins would end up on the bill. Either way, I won't lose sleep over it.
    I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs, or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.

    myspace.com/garbanzermusic

  26. #86
    Member daft$tar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,624

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettojournalist View Post
    the closest SP will get to being at coachella this year is as a sample used during the Girl Talk set.

    hahaha



    bjork of course

  27. #87

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    I Missed the Chillies Concert in Van and Some Buddies Went so i wouldnt Mind Checkin them Out.. i Loved the Californication Album.. i Like Pumpkins too. I don't see the Point of Bickering About Negatively.. Either way, Let's All just go Get Fucked Up and Watch Bands Rockout.CAN'T WAIT!
    Last edited by AudioSlave21; 01-29-2007 at 10:54 PM.

  28. #88
    Member Carlitos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    too late for smashing punkings

  29. #89

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    Quote Originally Posted by jenga66 View Post
    I don't understand all the animosity towards the Pumpkins. They were without a doubt one of the hallmarks of our generation. Shit, I didn't even know who Bjork was until I was in highschool (and that doesn't attribute to a poor music taste as some would claim). Nothing against her, I think she's an amazing musician. I just think the Pumpkins merit a headlining spot since the rest of the headliners have already done their time at Coachella. Some will say you can never see Bjork live too many times, I haven't, I just honestly don't know how or why Bjork deserves to top the Pumpkins. Look at their career that spanned over the last 20 years, you have to admit it shined just a little brighter than Bjork.

    At the same time, I also sympathize with the people that don't want to see them. I've heard some terrible live performances from past Pumpkins shows where Billy's voice is ruining everything. However, if you listen to live recordings or attended a show from 98-00, you'll notice a huge improvement from his previous style (for the record, Corgan HAS taken vocal coaching). It's only my opinion that their return would be welcomed and highly anticipated. I don't feel I'm biased, that's just how I feel.

    I can't imagine who the next big surprises are going to be, it just seems logical that the Pumpkins would end up on the bill. Either way, I won't lose sleep over it.
    As much as I love the Pumpkins, I have to disagree with you as far as career accomplishments. Bjork released her first recording in like 1977 when she was a child. She was in the Sugarcubes, she has continually reinvented her self the last 15 years as a solo artist. The pumpkins pretty much just have the mainstream acclaim of Siamese Dream and MCIS. Bjork by most peoples standards is probably more highly regarded than the Pumpkins for her accomplishments. Her website I feel is somewhat of a support to that arguement.

    I have to agree though, the Pumpkins from 1998-2000 put on their best shows, especially from 99 and onward. Most people don't like the Machina era material but it translated so well into a live setting. I would love them to play Coachella but Billy passed on the offer from Goldenvoice, I have a feeling they didn't offer him nearly as much as they did Rage.

  30. #90
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Innerspace
    Posts
    3,233

    Default Re: SMASHING PUMPKINS COACHELLA

    I'm so tired of you generation Y brats claiming the Pumpkins are from yr generation! Then crying because you never got to see them cause you were in grade school! Does anybody own Gish! Siamese Dream isn't there only album ya know. They started at there pinnacle and slowly descended with each album there after. I hope you all get yr wish to see them so you can be completely disappointed & so we don't have to talk about this next year!
    Last edited by shoegazer76; 01-30-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Smashing Pumpkins ?????
    By Tylerdurden31 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 05:45 PM
  2. Credible sources confirm Smashing Pumpkins
    By sonicdeath in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 06:20 PM
  3. SMASHING PUMPKINS ANNOUNCE SHOW!
    By Stefinitely Maybe in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 10:39 PM
  4. Why I think Smashing Pumpkins will play
    By Beni3 in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 12:17 PM
  5. Smashing Pumpkins To Play...
    By dvdestrd in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •