Thread: VH1 Classic's 7 Ages of Rock

Default VH1 Classic's 7 Ages of Rock

I guess I'm just a sucker for rock music history, but the last segment they showed, on grunge et. all, was pretty interesting (especially since they touched upon Black Flag and the Pixies and what-not) and I'm wondering if I'm the only idiot bored and music-obsessed enough to watch this... AND what you think about the shows so far?
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Banned

Default Re: VH1 Classic's 7 Ages of Rock

i just got done watching it(i taped it). ive watched all the parts of this documentary and here is my opinion:

the first parts have gone over the same shit ive already heard in others (i'm 36 so ive seen a ton of them), but the one on alt rock(grunge) was the best one of the series. it really went into detail on nirvana and other bands. it made me sad that kurt fucking gave up like he did. i grew up on them and it sucked but it was expected that something bad would happen to him cuz he just couldnt cope.. but such a great band!

Black Flag predated grunge.

I wish I'd seen this show though.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The last time i remember seeing black flag on vh1 was during a "where are they now?" segment...

Black Flag predated grunge.

I wish I'd seen this show though.
    As did the Pixies, so if it came off as me being stupid and saying Black Flag = grunge, sorry, that's not what I meant by what I said.

I can't wait for the final episode since it's Britpop and what-not. *coughTheSmithscough*
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    The last time i remember seeing black flag on vh1 was during a "where are they now?" segment...
    last time i saw black flag/and or the pixies was on the 5 part special "VH1's 100 greatest rock bands ever.

Zeppeline no.1
    Nirvana no. 2

I forget black flag's standing, but pixies were like low 90s, high 80s

awesome special none the less.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

i watched the Punk one....

didn't know the Sex Pistols were just a blatant copy of Television (Richard Hell)
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Is it bad to think that the Sex Pistols were actually catchy? Cause a lot of their songs were... To me, at least.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    last time i saw black flag/and or the pixies was on the 5 part special "VH1's 100 greatest rock bands ever.

Zeppeline no.1
    Nirvana no. 2

I forget black flag's standing, but pixies were like low 90s, high 80s

awesome special none the less.
    black flag werent on the list...but henry rollins was...

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post

didn't know the Sex Pistols were just a blatant copy of Television (Richard Hell)
    One hunnert percent. Television were the only real punx. Bsides Blondie.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    black flag werent on the list...but henry rollins was...
    why do you feel the need to embarrass me in front of everyone?

Look, next time you spot one of my fuck ups, please PM me instead of announcing it to the rest of the board!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Is it bad to think that the Sex Pistols were actually catchy? Cause a lot of their songs were... To me, at least.
    Why would it be "bad" to think that? Pretty much every song on "Never Mind..." had a good hook, except maybe "New York". Also, I've never cared for "Submission", but it still gets stuck in my head.

Also, even though it's not a proper album, "TGRNRS" has some killer pop hooks- "Silly Thing", "...Swindle", and especially "Lonely Boy".

Banned

to me the sex pistols were a gimmick. although the bollocks record was decent and the guys in the band were just guys who wanted to rock, they were such idiots that malcolm was working them like puppets and to me, they were and are a joke. the ramones were kick ass!

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    to me the sex pistols were a gimmick. although the bollocks record was decent and the guys in the band were just guys who wanted to rock, they were such idiots that malcolm was working them like puppets and to me, they were and are a joke. the ramones were kick ass!
    serious. my sig says it all

M Sparks, I'm soo glad i saw your sig, I had no idea tickets for Ministry went on sale. I just picked mine up for the HoB in Hollyweird. $60 for a ministry ticket!!!! can you believe that BS? The only reason i went through with it is because ive never seen them before and its their last tour, or else i would not have dropped 60 bucks for them. how much was yours??

to me the sex pistols were a gimmick...they were and are a joke. the ramones were kick ass!
    Agreed, agreed, and agreed. So? Most of the songs still rule.

M Sparks, I'm soo glad i saw your sig, I had no idea tickets for Ministry went on sale. I just picked mine up for the HoB in Hollyweird. $60 for a ministry ticket!!!! can you believe that BS? The only reason i went through with it is because ive never seen them before and its their last tour, or else i would not have dropped 60 bucks for them. how much was yours??
    I haven't bothered to pick them up...not sure if I'm going...just put that on to irritate someone who was insulting them. I've seen them a bunch, sometimes they're great, sometimes not. I will probably go for the same reason...supposedly the last tour.

BUT...I just checked, and it's $35 here. And that's high for the Marquee...it's usually under $25 when I go there. Is California full of suckers, or are the HOB just bastards? (My money's on both.)

Do you mean $60 after the Ticketmaster charges? The HoB tickets are $45 (though they also have "VIP" for $100, I wonder what that gets you).

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    Do you mean $60 after the Ticketmaster charges? The HoB tickets are $45 (though they also have "VIP" for $100, I wonder what that gets you).
    Unless it's hookers and blow, I doubt it's anything special.
    Upcoming Shows:

I have the Nirvana/Pixies/REM ("Left of the Dial") episode on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post

that doesn't even make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    of course they were catchy. almost all early punk was. wasn't til the hardcore bands started in the 80s that punk devolved to the way we think of it now.

50% of this post is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

that doesn't even make any sense.
    Thanks, Tom. That sounded like crazy talk to me too, but I'm not THAT familiar with Television, so I didn't say anything. I always associated them more with the art-scene, like Talking Heads.

EDIT- Maybe he meant The Voidoids.

Yes, the Sex Pistols were a gimmick, but they weren't all morons. They wrote their own damn songs, and Johnny Rotten was pretty fuckin' awesome. Just look at Public Image, Ltd., if you have any doubts. I love how people turn to revisionist history just because they can. Regardless of whether they were "punk" or not, they kick started the movement in England, and were important.

The British Indie Rock chapter really should have just been called the Britpop chapter... I find it funny that they sneaked in the Libertines, that was really fucking random. Maybe because they just never were popular over here in the States, or something...
    Upcoming Shows:

Well, they were huge in England. To the point that people are still paying attention to Pete Doherty and, to a lesser extent, Carl Barat. I liked the Libertines when they were around, and they put on a good show without Pete.

I just find the parallels between them and the Smiths pretty damn amusing.
    Upcoming Shows: