Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primavera 08

Default Re: Primavera 08

If anyone decides to make the journey, Radiohead are playing a festival on the same site the following weekend. Come for 10 days and do both.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

There's a dude in the other thread looking for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bullokz View Post
    There's a dude in the other thread looking for you.
    Thanks. I had totally forgotten this thread existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Banned

i really want to go to this but i'm afraid i'll run into Hernan Cortes.

=(

and i dont have any gold.

More acts added today

The Sonics
    Devo
    Shellac
    Explosions In The Sky
    Mount Eerie
    Devastations
    Times New Viking
    MGMT
    Moho
    La Estrella de David
    BŔstia Ferida
    The Clientele
    Matt Elliott
    Mi and l'Au
    SJ Esau
    La Orquesta del Caballo Ganador
    The Wave Pictures
    Drowned in Sound DJs

Looking forward to seeing The Wave Pictures and EITS again.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    If anyone decides to make the journey, Radiohead are playing a festival on the same site the following weekend. Come for 10 days and do both.
    ????

They're kicking off their European tour on 6/6 in Dublin.

Also, where did you stay last year in Barca ?
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

I splashed out on a nice hotel last year, as i stayed for a week - doing the same this year at a hotel about 5 mins from the site. Most people stay in the Hostels off La Ramblas. The bands go on til 6am, so you can get the first subway back to the town centre. (there is also a free bus runnung to the centre all night). I may still cancel my hotel and stay with a load of peeps off the drownedinsound board, depending on post-coachella financial state.

The other festival is called Daydream (it's actually 2 weeks after Primavera. Sorry)

http://www.last.fm/event/450020

ne'er mind

I got my confirmation email today and the flight is booked !

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

why did I not plan to go to this given that I am in europe at the time? I'm an idiot. I wonder how much it will cost to change my flight back.

so Marko is going -- who else?

alright, now I'm seriously reconsidering. but I have a few questions...

it looks like I wouldn't be able to get to barcelona before 5 pm on the thursday. (and that's the time the flight would land, so add a couple of hours before I can do anything). what time do things start? I'm assuming that if bands go on 'till 6 am thing won't start much before 6 pm, but it's hard to tell.

those of you going, how did you buy your tickets? is paypal the only option for people from the US?

and again for those going, have you booked acommodation yet? if so, where?
    Last edited by shakermaker113; 03-26-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Shaker, I bought my tix via the paypal link off the website.
    Sonofhal on the first page said things kick off at ~4pm in the afternoon or so.
    I booked a place via hostelworld.com as hotels are pricey. I guess Barcelona always has a very high level of occupancy so you don't get the deals you might for other cities. I'm doing a lot of reading where I can on the fest and city. The primavera website has a forum but the english section is pretty quiet.

yeah, I took a look at their forum but there wasn't much of use. other than a sticky thread in spanish for every single band that's playing, and an english forum that has not much more than the lineup announcement. haha.

I guess I need sonofhal to revisit this thread and enlighten me. damn, I'm back and forth about this. at times I'm all gun ho, others I think it's too much out of my way.

Depends on where in Europe you'll be; I was going to BCN anyway so it's a no-brainer for me. Seeing Tindersticks is icing on the cake. There are rumours of Nick Cave headlining one day this year but nothing has been announced.

uk... right now I have a flight out of edinburgh on the 1st, but I'm thinking of changing that to fly out of barcelona on the 1st. this is especially tempting as my current travel itnerary has me doing nothing (in a truly boring part of the country) for 3 days earlier that week. I may as well head to edinburgh sooner, fly from there to barcelona on the 29th and head to primavera. no?

also, I took a look at some of the hostels listed on hostelworld.com. they don't look that pricey. I guess perhaps pricey for hostels... still cheaper than a hotel though. which one are you staying at?

I booked an apt via hostelworld. More privacy so I can sleep better.

haha. got it. if I go, I'm totally staying in a 10 bedroom dorm.

I determined this diversion will cost me slightly less than coachella is going to cost me. that's a strong argument for going. it would certainly calm my festival fever a little.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    uk... right now I have a flight out of edinburgh on the 1st, but I'm thinking of changing that to fly out of barcelona on the 1st. this is especially tempting as my current travel itnerary has me doing nothing (in a truly boring part of the country) for 3 days earlier that week. I may as well head to edinburgh sooner, fly from there to barcelona on the 29th and head to primavera. no?

also, I took a look at some of the hostels listed on hostelworld.com. they don't look that pricey. I guess perhaps pricey for hostels... still cheaper than a hotel though. which one are you staying at?

I'm treating myself and staying at a hotel only 5 mins walk from the venue, but it's not cheap. Most people stay in the town centre at hostels. As it doesn't finish until 6am, you can get the first trains back into town (only 10 mins or so). Free buses do run through the night, but tend to be very overcrowded.

Whats it like at the fest site ? Food ? Drinks ? Toilets ? I read they issue a wristband so you can go in n' out (apparently there is a mall across from the fest site with a big food court).

C'mon, you're our Primavera resource!

There is a massive mall opposite the site. It has a massive food court but will only be open for the first 2-3 hours of the festival. It's worth going there before you go in, as there is some cheap deals for lunch and some pretty good tapas to be found.

You get a card (credit card size) when you go in to the fstival site and it can be scanned in and out, as each has a unique barcode. The acoustic auditorium is just outside the festival site, so you need to get scanned out to go there. As it is all seated, you can buy tickets for 1 euro to guarantee entry to a certain performance, or just chance it (i saw kimya dawson and spiritualized in there last year - but i was near the back, as i didn't book a ticket).

Drinks in the venue are done on a voucher system, but there are loads of bars, so hardly any queueing. There is also Rocket Men going around selling beer, so a lot of the time you can get a fresh one without leaving your spot at the stage.

There are 6 stages in all. Most of the stuff from 4am - 6am is DJ sets - just several different ones to choose from.

the lineup for this festival is truly impressive, probably the best i've seen this year so far. to all who are going, have fun and please report back on the magic that took place.

So - for those of you who moaned about conflicts at Coachella - check out what Primavera has to offer.

http://www.iwantwintergreen.com/Primavera2008.xls

Thu

Mount Eerie and MGMT
    Dr Octagon and Public Enenmy
    Boris and Portishead
    Explosions In The Sky and Caribou and De La Soul and Voxtrot

Fri

Autolux and Portishead and Bob Mould and The Sonics
    Why? and Devo and Man Man
    Fuck Buttons and Cat Power and A Place To Bury Strangers

Sat

Silver Jews and Fanfarlo and Okkervil River
    Young Marble Giants and Dirty Projectors and Buffalo Tom and Stephen Malkmus
    Deerhunter and Menomena and Mission Of Burma
    Shellac and Clipse and Dinosaur Jr
    Les Savy Fav and 808 State and Tindersticks

...and if that wasn't enough, Holy Fuck are on at 4.30am (sunrise set!!)

Right, I'm here in Barcelona now. I went down to pick up my tickets earlier and managed to get onto the site and watch Portishead soundcheck. My current viewing for day one is looking like this.

Mount Eerie/The Microphones
    Eric's Trip
    Health
    Public Enemy
    British Sea Power
    Portishead
    De La Soul
    Vampire Weekend
    Midnight Juggernauts

Portishead tore the place up the last two nights. Last night ended up with a stage invasion at the invitation of the band. Coachella was good but the last two nights were on a whole other level altogether. Truly EPIC. I was 3rd from the barrier for the outdoor show and had a nice seat by the sounddesk last night.

Pics, vids in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    So - for those of you who moaned about conflicts at Coachella - check out what Primavera has to offer.

http://www.iwantwintergreen.com/Primavera2008.xls

Thu

Boris and Portishead

Fri

Portishead and The Sonics
    Devo and Man Man
    Cat Power and A Place To Bury Strangers
    Ouch... those are all pretty brutal. However, Portishead and The Sonics takes the cake. That is unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Portishead tore the place up the last two nights. Last night ended up with a stage invasion at the invitation of the band. Coachella was good but the last two nights were on a whole other level altogether. Truly EPIC. I was 3rd from the barrier for the outdoor show and had a nice seat by the sounddesk last night.

Pics, vids in a few days.
    Setlists?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

That has the best line up of the year, hands down. And I'm pretty sure Throbbing Gristle will never fucking play the US again, which is all the more reason to flee this increasingly more worthless country.

Chris I hope you are having fun. And when you have time, hopefully you can post pics/reviews. I want to live vicariously.

TWO sets from Portishead? And LONG ones at that? God damn, I should have gone to this.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Portishead were excellent in the Auditori, but i missed the outdoor set due to Boris, which was actually one of the best sets i saw all weekend (it was between them and A Place To Bury Strangers, who were stunning). Full review, pics and random shot of a pissed off steve malkmus to follow. (IE, when i get back to the UK).

I'm currently sporting a bad hangover after the closing party.

/\ Sorry I missed your msg.

Ok, this is going to take a while to get all my pics sorted but here are some from Portishead night 1 and a vid from night 2. YT really compresses vids. Damnit.

Another vid. Ignore the first 20secs or so. Operator error .....

And 'Roads'. Again, ignore the first few secs.

Last edited by MarkO; 06-10-2008 at 08:27 PM.