Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boards of Canada !!!!!! OMFG!!!

Default Boards of Canada !!!!!! OMFG!!!

Now that I have all your attention, would they really be that amazing live? I love their music but, I dont think they would be that great of a live act. roygbiv would be really cool on a bumping soundsystem as would Rue the Whirl, but I dont know they don't seem like they would be THAT epic of an act...
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

Default Re: Boards of Canada !!!!!! OMFG!!!

Deviate, did anyone post a happy birthday thread to you yesterday?
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

They don't pretend to be an epic act setting a light show like Daft Punk.. They don't even want to play live because they want people to love the music by itself and not because it's trendy or it's the best live act ever. They want people to appreciate what they are trying to communicate in their shows when they do them. They just want to fit the perfect images to their music and want you to pay attention to their 'subliminal' messages in the visuals, not to jump up and down the whole show.

But if you are afraid you will be disappointed and want them to make you dance as hell, better not to go. One more spot available for others to enjoy the show.

Coachella Junkie

Orbit nailed it.

in my opinion, you dont a wicked light show or dancy music to have a non-boring show. A light show and visuals help, but it all depends on what kind of music. I dont think BoC would need a stellar light show to be successful. Their music is just... different. I would love to see them, the way their albums were created is just... chilling, and I can only imagine what kind of tricks would be up their sleeves for a live performance.

alright. i really wasnt down with this band when i heard one of their albums start to finish. im gonna try it out again right now and see what i can find
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nightmares On Wax - Amoeba, Basement Jaxx - Rhonda, !!! - Pomona, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Coachella Junkie

what did you hear brando?

music has the right to children or something liek that

I also have their 10th anniversary warp show but havent listened to it yet because that other album threw me off, but weel see what happens in this next hour
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nightmares On Wax - Amoeba, Basement Jaxx - Rhonda, !!! - Pomona, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Coachella Junkie

hmm. I think for people to really get into BoC, they should listen to Campfire Headphase first. Listen and enjoy the acoustics on it. Once you love the album, move on to either Geogaddi or Music has the Right to Children. Thats what worked for me.

I could imagine their live show being similar to that of Autechre.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    hmm. I think for people to really get into BoC, they should listen to Campfire Headphase first. Listen and enjoy the acoustics on it. Once you love the album, move on to either Geogaddi or Music has the Right to Children. Thats what worked for me.
    you must be right. i said it once and i'll say it again. this album is incredibly boring. ill check out that campfire album when i get home but if its anything MHTRTC, then I am at a loss of words as to how/why this band gets the type of praise it does.

Have any of you actually seen them live before? That's the real question. I couldn't find any clips of live performances online. Anybody got a link or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I'm not sure if anyone from here has seen them live. There are some audio bootlegs of their shows (around 10-15 in total), but no known video yet. I've read some people have videos from some of the 1997 shows but I've not seen them.

It's very unlikely for them to perform here in the US, even if they kick off a tour for their next album. Their fan base in the US is too low compared the european. Just think about Underworld claiming they only would lose money in the US because they don't have enough fans here. BoC would only play in Europe, and if they do the US it would be probably only one show in one location where the true fans will go, me thinks. They are weird like that.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Have any of you actually seen them live before? That's the real question. I couldn't find any clips of live performances online. Anybody got a link or what?
    This is all i've got for you.

Taken at the Warp party. Hell, this is the only known picture of a live show from the gang.

I wonder how BOC would go down at Coachella. That's the best place for them to play in terms of not losing money and getting a good audience (in the US)... But BOC seems to call more for a intimate setting where people aren't sweating in the hot sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    you must be right. i said it once and i'll say it again. this album is incredibly boring. ill check out that campfire album when i get home but if its anything MHTRTC, then I am at a loss of words as to how/why this band gets the type of praise it does.
    Yeah try that. Take it piece by piece, don't rush it. I wasnt a fan of some of their earlier stuff until I became a fan of the later stuff.

it also depends on the mood and setting. For instance, if you want to scare the shit out of yourself, listen to Geogaddi while you're driving alone, in the dark at night. It's so mind warping, there are so many eerie, hidden effects that fuck with your mind and perception. Hell i've come close to wrecking my vehicle because of that damn album (no joke). But yeah the setting of when you listen to it will greatly help.

Betao is right on the mark. That's how I got into BoC, and I like Maroon 5, so it will work even for the least trip-hop/weird electronica inclined individuals.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I wonder how BOC would go down at Coachella. That's the best place for them to play in terms of not losing money and getting a good audience (in the US)... But BOC seems to call more for a intimate setting where people aren't sweating in the hot sun.

they played the very first Coachella back in 1999. From what I remember it was cool. they pushed some buttons and people danced, they played one of the smaller tents and it still wasn't very full in the tent. But it was cool just the same. A very fuzzy memory, sorry.

FAIL. campfire headphase was weak.

mhtrtc is seriously one of the greatest albums ever. its not about bangin beats. its about the headsapce it puts you in. i always feel like im lost in the wilderness when i listen to it. i fucking cant get enough.

This is all i've got for you.

Taken at the Warp party. Hell, this is the only known picture of a live show from the gang.
    greatness. i would kill to be there. seriously.
    Last edited by superfiction; 12-29-2007 at 05:50 AM.
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    FAIL. campfire headphase was weak.

mhtrtc is seriously one of the greatest albums ever. its not about bangin beats. its about the headsapce it puts you in. i always feel like im lost in the wilderness when i listen to it. i fucking cant get enough.

I never said Campfire Headphase was the best. I actually don't have a favorite (maybe Geogaddi, I dunno..). BUT, if you want to convert someone who isnt used to the style of BoC that can through into a headscape, have them start with Campfire Headphase. They'll enjoy it a bit more. If you throw MHTRTC at them, they'll just be like "umm, what is this? and why is it so dull?". I should know, because that is how I got into them, and its also how I converted a few of my friends to them. It just takes time.

no fail, sorry.

I never said Campfire Headphase was the best. I actually don't have a favorite (maybe Geogaddi, I dunno..). BUT, if you want to convert someone who isnt used to the style of BoC that can through into a headscape, have them start with Campfire Headphase. They'll enjoy it a bit more. If you throw MHTRTC at them, they'll just be like "umm, what is this? and why is it so dull?". I should know, because that is how I got into them, and its also how I converted a few of my friends to them. It just takes time.

no fail, sorry.
    i think if anyone thinks mhtrfc is dull they are looking at it in the wrong light. it was my first album by them and it serioiusly blew me away. but he thats me. maybe im just more eaily turned on to such things

I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.

actually, there are more live pictures of them than that. I'll just direct you HERE

Quote Originally Posted by thelaughterlife View Post
    they played the very first Coachella back in 1999. From what I remember it was cool. they pushed some buttons and people danced, they played one of the smaller tents and it still wasn't very full in the tent. But it was cool just the same. A very fuzzy memory, sorry.
    Is everyone just going to ignore this post? Or should I correct it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Hell i've come close to wrecking my vehicle because of that damn album (no joke).
    I've always thought that If I listened to them while driving this would happen...now I don't have to risk my life trying. Cool pics menik.

Oh and at first I thought this thread would be about boc being at coach for sure, damn you!

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Is everyone just going to ignore this post? Or should I correct it?
    I was just gonna ignore it. haha

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    i think if anyone thinks mhtrfc is dull they are looking at it in the wrong light. it was my first album by them and it serioiusly blew me away. but he thats me. maybe im just more eaily turned on to such things
    Oh I think it's a classic album. And yes, if you think it's dull, you are looking in the wrong light. But some people wont "get it" until they hear what they like first. Hence why I show them the acoustics. When I got my friend into them, I gave him a copy of Campfire Headphase. Instantly, his favorite songs were Chromatokey Dreamcoat, Dayvan Cowboy, and Hey Saturday Sun. Go figure. But he eventually fell in love with the entire album, and then downloaded their other albums without even asking me for another copy. Thats all it takes, but of course, like you said, its different for everyone.

Kinda like me and Radiohead... I got into them because I checked out their electronic music first (im a fan of EDM at heart), and I slowly started to listen to their other stuff later. Now I love albums like The Bends.

personally, it was music has the right to children that i heard first by them, and that blew me away. i next listened to campfire headphase which i found less engaging, but eventually it grew on me to be something almost as great as mhtrtc. being that i had such a strong initial response to their first album, i thought id try to get my friend into them as i hyped them up very much. his response...., "this is the most boring music ive ever heard". harsh. i guess its just really difficult to say which album would be best for an introduction, as everyone is different in their musical tastes.

i think it would be really interesting if they played live and were not visible on stage, but instead had some sort of crazy minimal, yet technically advanced stage show. of course theyd also have to be playing at sunset, and it would be very mysterious and eerie.. much like how i think of them as a band in general. yay

Quote Originally Posted by flagella666 View Post
    i think it would be really interesting if they played live and were not visible on stage, but instead had some sort of crazy minimal, yet technically advanced stage show. of course theyd also have to be playing at sunset, and it would be very mysterious and eerie.. much like how i think of them as a band in general. yay
    i think the way they do it based on the photos in this thread perfectly defines their sound

So... no one has any idea what their live set sounds like, right? Just to clarify?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Coachella Junkie

there are a few bootlegs out there, but I dont think any of us here have heard them.

So, no... we don't have any idea what they sound like. Which makes us want to see them even more.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    So... no one has any idea what their live set sounds like, right? Just to clarify?
    I have their set from the 10th anniversay Warp party.....overrated