Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SXSW 2008

Default Re: SXSW 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    The bolded artists are who I have actually heard of. I dont think it's anything spectacular...........yet.
    Ouija Radio is awesome!!! Girl fronted and kicking ass. I'm glad they're playing this year.

it's always around my spring break. missing school to go to either SXSW or Coachella i choose coachella.

I love Daniel Lanois.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

http://www.nme.com/news/sxsw/33725

WTF Dolly Parton to play SXSW?

Country legend is bound for Austin in March

* Jan 17, 2008
    * 0 Comments
    * Add SXSW to MyNME

Dolly Parton will play this year’s South By Southwest Conference and Festival it was announced today.

The legendary singer will perform at the newly refurbished Austin City Music Hall on March 14.

The event which is presented by BMI, is part of the music leg of the festival which runs March 12 – 16 in various venues across Austin.

As previously reported, REM are scheduled to play a special intimate show at Subb’s Bar-B-Q during the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Pretty sure that should say "Stubbs Bar-B-Q"

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Fucking nme can't get anything right...

but that is still pretty wicked...I would like to see Dolly Parton...
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Pretty sure that should say "Stubbs Bar-B-Q"
    Wait, where does it say she's playing at Stubb's? http://2008.sxsw.com/music/

She's playing at Austin City Music Hall.

SXSW would never put Dolly Parton at Stubb's during SXSW.\

EDIT: NM, you were talking about the typo, not the venue for Dolly Parton. My bad.
    -----------------------

Random SXSW Pitchfork story..

Rachael Ray Asks Battles, Holy Fuck to Play SXSW Party
    Holy Fuck indeed

When we saw this on Idolator, we were like, no fucking way. Yes, we already knew foodie superstar Rachael Ray is an indie rock fan-- she put twee group the Boy Least Likely To (along with Nellie McKay and Puffy Amiyumi) on her Too Cool for School Mixtape for Kids back in the fall of 2006.

But there's a big difference between the Boy Least Likely To's gentle coos and the abrasive instrumental art rock purveyed by Battles and Holy Fuck. I mean, if you try cooking to this stuff, you might end up with a whole arm chopped up in a blender.

Regardless, we've just received confirmation that yes, Rachael Ray did indeed invite Battles to perform at her SXSW party. And Holy Fuck too! (Can you even say that word on the Food Network?) Alas, Battles won't be participating-- they aren't doing SXSW at all this year. No word yet on Holy Fuck.

According to this Earl Boykins post, Rachael's party is called "FEEDBACK Showcase...a feast of hot bands and tasty foods" and is taking place Saturday, March 15 from 12pm to 6 pm (rumor has it that it will take place at Beauty Bar).

We're sure of one thing though: no matter which bands play, this party is going to have the best catering table at SXSW.

Posted by Amy Phillips in wtf on Thu: 01-31-08: 04:35 PM CST | Digg this article | Add to del.icio.us | Permalink.

Maybe she she will where one of these outfits when cooking.....

I

rachel ray
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

For someone who has been to SXSW I have a couple of questions.

It says that you get into events with space willing. How easy it is it to get into most venues or if you don't get there very early are they all packed out?

Also, I noticed that there are lots of parties. Can a badge holder attend any party as long as it doesn't say invitation only?? Or pretty much do you need contacts to get into all of the parties?? Just wondering.

Just anyone have any other tips about this event?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    Random SXSW Pitchfork story..

Rachael Ray Asks Battles, Holy Fuck to Play SXSW Party
    Holy Fuck indeed

When we saw this on Idolator, we were like, no fucking way. Yes, we already knew foodie superstar Rachael Ray is an indie rock fan-- she put twee group the Boy Least Likely To (along with Nellie McKay and Puffy Amiyumi) on her Too Cool for School Mixtape for Kids back in the fall of 2006.

But there's a big difference between the Boy Least Likely To's gentle coos and the abrasive instrumental art rock purveyed by Battles and Holy Fuck. I mean, if you try cooking to this stuff, you might end up with a whole arm chopped up in a blender.

Regardless, we've just received confirmation that yes, Rachael Ray did indeed invite Battles to perform at her SXSW party. And Holy Fuck too! (Can you even say that word on the Food Network?) Alas, Battles won't be participating-- they aren't doing SXSW at all this year. No word yet on Holy Fuck.

According to this Earl Boykins post, Rachael's party is called "FEEDBACK Showcase...a feast of hot bands and tasty foods" and is taking place Saturday, March 15 from 12pm to 6 pm (rumor has it that it will take place at Beauty Bar).

We're sure of one thing though: no matter which bands play, this party is going to have the best catering table at SXSW.

Posted by Amy Phillips in wtf on Thu: 01-31-08: 04:35 PM CST | Digg this article | Add to del.icio.us | Permalink.

Maybe she she will where one of these outfits when cooking.....

For someone who has been to SXSW I have a couple of questions.

It says that you get into events with space willing. How easy it is it to get into most venues or if you don't get there very early are they all packed out?

Also, I noticed that there are lots of parties. Can a badge holder attend any party as long as it doesn't say invitation only?? Or pretty much do you need contacts to get into all of the parties?? Just wondering.

Just anyone have any other tips about this event?

the parties that say invitation only are just that. However, there are plenty of rsvp parties that anyone can get into if you put forth the effort of finding them. Look online in the next few weeks.

The entry to shows basically works like this.

1.Platinum badge ( anyone who bought a badge for the entire event. interactive, film and music) gets first dibs.

2.Music badge

3.wristbands

4.people who pay cover...space willing.

Don't expect to get into a showcase of a well known band with a wristband unless you are willing to stand in line for a few hours.

For me SxSW isn't about those bands. It is about seeing new up-and-coming bands. If you come here with the intentions of seeing well known acts, you will be dissapointed with a wristband.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    I

rachel ray
    Every Day Italian chick (Giada De Laurentiis)>>> Rachel Ray

And not just because she is hotter, but also is probably a better cook, more credentials, etc. Le Cordon Bleu?
    I can sleep in till noon anytime I want
    Though there's not many days that I do
    Gotta get up and take on that world
    When your an adult it's no cliche it's the truth

Exclamation Re: SXSW 2008

I lived in Austin for 4 years before moving to California, and that's one of things I miss the most about living in Austin. I'll say this: It's worth doing at least once... it won't turn out how you planned, but you will have a good time.
    It's usually good to find the showcases for the labels of the music you like, and pay the cover....sometimes, they give away free shit too. Seriously, you will come home with soooo many free demos and burned cds from bands and artists and you won't even know where to start.
    Emo's usually has good punk and indie showcases ala Jade Tree/SideOneDummy/HydraHead/Epitaph, and then 710, The Ritz Lounge, or Red Eyed Fly(all within a 4 block radius, at least!) Use good judgement and try and pick something you can live with, but go early, because THERE WILL BE A LINE TO GET IN LATER. If you don't have a badge or bracelet, pay cover, but you'll have to wait for the vips to get in first.
    YES, There are corporate parties, label parties and VIP bullshit that most people that truly love music are not invited to, but if you talk to the right local, there are tons of houseparties that bands are playing at as well in garages and even kitchens (trust me) afterhours. There's also alot of Free day parties that are thrown all over, so look for ads and posters as they are posted in the streets and millions of flyers you'll be handed. I know Mountain Dew has one at La Zona Rosa on the Friday of the week and I beleive Alternative Press has one Emo's (Which I saw Death from above 1979, thank you), so keep your eyes peeled. You can sometimes see some good shit. The first year I went, I went to Stubbs and saw Murder City Devils, L7, Unsane, Supersuckers, and Neurosis...and then across the street, saw Jets To Brazil play at what is now Beerland. The HydraHead Showcase had Isis, Pelican, These Arms Are Snakes, and Oxbow, and was like 12 bux, how can you beat that?
    Be prepared to do ALOT of walking, not to mention (which nothingman or anyone has forgotten to) is that Austin,TX in the middle of March is a Fucking oven... mad humidity and major b.o., so if you can deal, do it.
    But other than that, have a good time, eat at Stubb's BBQ at least once, and get a Schlotsky's sandwich...they're awesome, and I think there is one on 6th and Congressional.
    Last edited by yonicsouth; 02-03-2008 at 02:51 AM.

Lurker

Check out Carolyn Mark's stuff before you head out. She's great.

Thanks for the information everyone.

So basically the only way to find out about the parties and other activities is to look for signs, flyers, etc.

You also mentioned online too, where do you look online?

Also, is it just be or does the SXSW site suck??

How do I get a list of all the bands playing and schedules?? It doesn't seem to be anywhere on the site.

The schedules haven't come out yet. Most of the parties haven't been announced yet either. In the weeks building up to the fest there will be sites dedicated to listing day/night parties and where to go to rsvp. Google. Thats all I can tell you because thats what I do.

Austin,TX in the middle of March is a Fucking oven
    If you consider an average high of 75 degrees hot, then yes it is an oven.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, I just like to be prepared..

Thanks for the information everyone.

So basically the only way to find out about the parties and other activities is to look for signs, flyers, etc.

You also mentioned online too, where do you look online?

Also, is it just be or does the SXSW site suck??

How do I get a list of all the bands playing and schedules?? It doesn't seem to be anywhere on the site.
    The Yard Dog party is good if you're into that scene. The Mekons played it a few years ago.

http://www.yarddog.com/

the SXSW site is not as user friendly as most. remember SXSW is an industry conference first and a music fest second. and with 1000+ bands the logistics can be a pain. I think the schedules won't come out til early March.

Quote Originally Posted by yonicsouth View Post
    Austin,TX in the middle of March is a Fucking oven...
    no it's not. besides all the bands are at night.

no it's not. besides all the bands are at night.
    It was actually chilly two years ago during Mogwai at Stubbs at 1AM. I was in long-sleeves and jeans and comfortable.
    -----------------------

Also of note: Factory People (a retail clothes shop on S. Congress) closed this year. In the past, they hosted many of the pre-party/VIP events. They only exist online now, I believe.
    -----------------------

I wonder if American Apparel will host anything in the space.

I work right next door at Botticelli's. We have a beer garden and will have live music all day. Granted the beer wont be free, but it will be cheap.

For those that will be in town for SXSW...
    from the Austin Chronicle:
    "In what's already been dubbed 'Rokkervil,' Okkervil River (pictured) are headlining the 2007-08 Austin Music Awards, scheduled for Wednesday, March 12, at the Austin Music Hall, alongside Roky Erickson. With Roky hot to guest with Will Sheff's crew, it should be the wildest collaboration since Mudhoney and Jimmie Dale Gilmore. Credit former Chronicle music newsman Chris Gray with the brainstorm. "Will Sheff was really into the idea," relays AMA director Margaret Moser, "though I have no idea what songs they're going to do." Here's hoping the Black Sheep Boys tackle "I Walked With a Zombie." Also confirmed for the evening is a Gary Clark Jr. showcase and a six-string salute to Walter Hyatt led by David Ball of Uncle Walt's Band. Stay tuned."
    -----------------------

holy shit. that tops everything.

holy shit. that tops everything.
    For me, it really does. I can't even begin to imagine a setlist, which in and of itself is exciting.
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by traviscanada View Post
    Every Day Italian chick (Giada De Laurentiis)>>> Rachel Ray

And not just because she is hotter, but also is probably a better cook, more credentials, etc. Le Cordon Bleu?
    Seconded. I saw an episode one day where she made something called Farmer's Pasta, and after that I ordered one of her books for my mother for Christmas, and she made the pasta, and it was the greatest food I have ever had.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

OMG Asobi Seksu @ SXSW again

Misha, too. Nice one. I didn't know they were playing live yet.
    Last edited by Boourns; 02-07-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

old school

Lineup looks good.

I wish The Airborne Toxic Event would get added to Coachella.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

I wonder what language they are racing to save.