Thread: It's raining wimpy singer-songwriters

Default It's raining wimpy singer-songwriters

I find it ironic this guy died of prostate cancer, since he was such a pussy.

NEW YORK - Dan Fogelberg, the singer and songwriter whose hits “Leader of the Band” and “Same Old Lang Syne” helped define the soft-rock era, died Sunday at his home in Maine after battling prostate cancer. He was 56.

His death was announced Sunday in a statement by Anna Loynes of the Solters & Digney public relations agency, and was also posted on the singer’s Web site.

“Dan left us this morning at 6:00 a.m. He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side,” it read. “His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him.”

Fogelberg discovered he had advanced prostate cancer in 2004. In a statement then, he thanked fans for their support: “It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years. ... I thank you from the very depths of my heart.”

Fogelberg’s music was powerful in its simplicity. He didn’t rely on the volume of his voice to convey his emotions; instead, they came through in the soft, tender delivery and his poignant lyrics. Songs like “Same Old Lang Syne” — in which a man reminisces after meeting an old girlfriend by chance during the holidays — became classics not only because of his performance, but for the engaging storyline, as well.

Fogelberg’s heydey was in the 1970s and early 80s, when he scored several platinum and multiplatinum records fueled by such hits as “The Power of Gold” and “Leader of the Band,” a touching tribute he wrote to his father, a bandleader. Fogelberg put out his first album in 1972.

Fogelberg’s songs tended to have a weighty tone, reflecting on emotional issues in a serious way. But in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in 1997, he said it did not represent his personality.

“That came from my singles in the early ’80s,” he reflects. “I think it probably really started on the radio. I’m not a dour person in the least. I’m actually kind of a happy person. Music doesn’t really reflect the whole person.

“One of my dearest friends is Jimmy Buffett. From his music, people have this perception that he’s up all the time, and, of course, he’s not. Jimmy has a serious side, too.”

Later in his career, he wrote material that focused on the state of the environment, an issue close to his heart. His last album was 2003’s “Full Circle,” his first album of original material in a decade.

A year later he would receive his cancer diagnosis, forcing him to forgo a planned fall tour. After his diagnosis, he urged others to get tested.

Survivors include his wife, Jean.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: It's raining wimpy singer-songwriters

Prostate cancer is the leading cancer for men in the US. It is followed by lung cancer and then colorectal cancer.

Get an annual check-up guys.

RIP Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

dan fogelbergs music reminds of me of jackets with patches on the elbows...

old school

Dentists have the highest suicide rate of any profession. If I listened to soft rock and tooth drilling all day, I'd probably kill myself too.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

Prostate cancer is also the leading cause of retirement-age gay couples separating.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Prostate cancer is the leading cancer for men in the US. It is followed by lung cancer and then colorectal cancer.

Get an annual check-up guys.

RIP Dan
    2nd leading cancer. First leading is skin cancer for both men and women. Prostate cancer has the highest mortality rate.

Don't fuck with me and my cancer stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

My wife was listening to the Sirius Christmas channel Sunday morning, and they played stupid "Same Old Lang Syne". It's not a holiday song despite the name...I wonder if it was on purpose, or if they just have bad programmers and it was just a coincidence.

I didn't know he did "Leader Of The Band." The band teacher at my high school retired the same year I graduated, and the choir sang it at graduation, but I luckily had never heard it before.

I always mixed him up with England Dan.

rip dan, even too wimpy for my soft rock tastes, but sad for his friends and family ... canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I remember when "Longer" came out - dear god it was played at every wedding on the planet for years afterward.

Not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    Dentists have the highest suicide rate of any profession. If I listened to soft rock and tooth drilling all day, I'd probably kill myself too.

at least they have access to hippy crack...

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    2nd leading cancer. First leading is skin cancer for both men and women. Prostate cancer has the highest mortality rate.

Don't fuck with me and my cancer stats.
    prostate cancer to men is breast cancer to women...women who breastfeeed are less likely to develop breast cancer!!!

My dad had prostate cancer. It seems like it is really treatable as long as one gets screened for it. My dad's cancer is gone now since he got treated for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    prostate cancer to men is breast cancer to women...women who breastfeeed are less likely to develop breast cancer!!!
    So what are you suggesting here?

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    My dad had prostate cancer. It seems like it is really treatable as long as one gets screened for it. My dad's cancer is gone now since he got treated for it.
    There are some varieties that are agressive & kill within a few weeks. Then there are types that grow very slowly & the doctor suggests doing nothing. And everything in between. I think so many guys die from it because 1) they don't do annual check-ups; and 2) they don't want a doctor to probe his prostate area (bend over, this won't hurt). The macho thing will cost a man his life.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

[QUOTE=TomAz;371394]I find it ironic this guy died of prostate cancer, since he was such a pussy.

I laughed out loud, left the room and laughed again. Yet, that is just terrible to say (and I laugh some more). He made Kenny Loggins seem like Marilyn Manson.

sorry tom. i searched the music lounge for this before i posted. since this is music related, and all.

dead people go in the misc lounge.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

THEY DON'T SEE EACH OTHER. THEY DON'T KNOW THEY'RE DEAD.

Apologies. I need coffee.