Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bands/songs from the beginning of the year that are obsolete now

Default Re: bands/songs from the beginning of the year that are obsolete now

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    also, the new clap your hands say yeah.
    I still find this to be a great album; in my top 20 for the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I never liked the Cold War Kids. I listened to Writer's Block a couple weeks ago and still liked it. I never liked the Kooks (sorry, Dani) or the Fratellis. I still really enjoy Night Ripper and mostly enjoyed seeing him live again. Wincing the Night Away never got into deep rotation for me; I like it but that's it. I never loved all of We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank but I just listened to most of it in the car and got about as much out of it as ever.

It is not my intent to be mean but if you're really looking for an overall answer it is that you're not doing a good job of deciding on first listen what is good and what isn't. You're picking music that isn't good for you, that isn't sustainable.

Those artists - other than Girl Talk and Peter, Bjorn and John - are all generic indie pop. Or, at least, that's what they put out now. Sure, there's a bit more range to the Modest Mouse album but Isaac didn't do anything he hadn't already done better. I'd say that that album by the Shins is really good generic indie pop but other than that I wouldn't expect those artists to have staying power.

Listen to what you like. Really. You should listen to what you enjoy. But if you listen to simple pop realize that it's very likely to wear out. And if that's something you want to avoid then find bands that do more, that have more depth.
    i absolutely not just listen to the bands i mentioned before, no way
    i was only pointing out something that happens every year with these type of bands that sound "promising" at the beginning of the year and now theyve been forgotten
    but no i really listen to good stuff
    as predicted by nostradamus

OK, cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by miseducation View Post
    I listen to only one song from The Shins album (Sleeping Lessons) and have actually grown to love PB&J after months and months.

It's that Girl Talk remix of "Let's Call It Off" that really made me go back and appreciate that song and others on it.

My Crunch-Techno phase is waning though. I will no longer listen to anything that just slightly resembles Daft Punk and Justice.
    Daft Punk and Justice really aren't that similar. Daft Punk are epic and Justice is a trendy one trick pony.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    don't agree about justice, totally agree about hot chip, but i think a new album might spice things up a bit.
    the new album is their best yet.

Quote Originally Posted by matsuolost View Post
    remember cold war kids, peter bjorn and john, the kooks, the fratellis, girl talk, the new shins album, the new modest mouse, etc

i cant listen to any of that anymore
    and when i do, its like, i actually liked that?
    and seeing as it wasnt too long a go, its a little strange
    this says more about you than it does the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritestyl View Post
    this says more about you than it does the music.
    well, it says that he might have decent taste.

i still like girl talk- it was truly a party with him at coachella. seriously.
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    well, it says that he might have decent taste.
    ok fine, for the record my favorite bands are: radiohead, arcade fire, daft punk, sigur ros, neutral milk hotel, david bowie, television, joy division, talking heads, the smiths, aphex twin, boards of canada, gang of four and the velvet underground

OMG MINE TOO

NO WAI ME 2

LOL

YOU GUYS WONT BELIEVE THIS...ME TOO!!!!

ORGY!!!

vinylmartyr

Quote Originally Posted by GenericIndieKid View Post
    NO WAI ME 2

LOL

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

The Shins album is still one of my favorites of the year, even though I haven't played it in months. I mean, there's a crapload of new music every fuckin' week and we still only get the 24 hours in the day don't we?

Something's gotta give - it's the transient nature of the cosmos, friends. Ain't a damn thing we can do about it...
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

LOLERCATS

Coachella Junkie

That Modest Mouse sure seemed promising earlier this year.

ok fine, for the record my favorite bands are: radiohead, arcade fire, daft punk, sigur ros, neutral milk hotel, david bowie, television, joy division, talking heads, the smiths, aphex twin, boards of canada, gang of four and the velvet underground
    Congrats...you've successfully proved that you can read. At least name some bands that aren't talked about constantly on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    the 'V' and the 'i' look like you and your cousin

Quote Originally Posted by i_like_cake530 View Post
    Congrats...you've successfully proved that you can read. At least name some bands that aren't talked about constantly on the board.
    yeah well i used to like those before i joined the board, and pretty much thats why i post and read threads on here, because eveyrone talks about the bands that i like or else why would i be here? think

i like the Beatles

theyre swell

i'm not sure why you posted this. i meant what i was saying, you probably have decent taste if the novelty of the albums you listed wore off.

yeah im not sure either...

creed?

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    creed?
    maybe, well not exactly, but something like that

creed for coachella

I'd welcome that WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

indie creed

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not, but didn't both Girl Talk and Peter Bjorn and John's albums come out last year? Seems like they've got some sort of lasting power if they're still being discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah, but I didn't hear them until I had to force myself to discover new music because of Coachella. PB&J was pretty unknown here before then, IIRC.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by DaOneManWonda View Post
    lol this is the first one i actually laughed at.