Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bands/songs from the beginning of the year that are obsolete now

Default bands/songs from the beginning of the year that are obsolete now

remember cold war kids, peter bjorn and john, the kooks, the fratellis, girl talk, the new shins album, the new modest mouse, etc

i cant listen to any of that anymore
    and when i do, its like, i actually liked that?
    and seeing as it wasnt too long a go, its a little strange
    as predicted by nostradamus

Default Re: bands/songs from the beginning of the year that are obsolete now

yes, yes, no, who?, yes, kinda, yes.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

silversun pickups
    as predicted by nostradamus

I can never remember what albums come out in a given year because I end up listening to 300 old bands that put out records a long time ago and that takes up all my time.

Yeah, in every year-end list I ever write, I'll still be listening to only ten of them the next year.

History can be an effective (but not perfect) way to filter out the crap. Does anyone still remember Morningwood? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    History can be an effective (but not perfect) way to filter out the crap. Does anyone still remember Morningwood? I doubt it.
    Hehehe. I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Does anyone still remember Morningwood? I doubt it.
    They were playing their single on the PA when you walked in to Coachella. Well at least when I did on day 1, on the main stage PA. HA.

And yeah there area few that are ''tired'' for sure. girl Talk had a bit of higher expectaion whe he was going to be at Coachella. Then seeing him after Justice, it just seemed so ''passe''.

also, the new clap your hands say yeah.

clap your hands say yeah = cover your ears say owww

I haven't listened to the new MoMo, the new Interpol, or any PB&J in months.

Justice.

lol @ "obsolete bands"

That makes me think of my iBook, or better yet, my old Compaq Presario 5 minutes after we bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by matsuolost View Post
    remember cold war kids, peter bjorn and john, the kooks, the fratellis, girl talk, the new shins album, the new modest mouse, etc

nothing factual about this observation...
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

I listen to only one song from The Shins album (Sleeping Lessons) and have actually grown to love PB&J after months and months.

It's that Girl Talk remix of "Let's Call It Off" that really made me go back and appreciate that song and others on it.

My Crunch-Techno phase is waning though. I will no longer listen to anything that just slightly resembles Daft Punk and Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post

And yeah there area few that are ''tired'' for sure. girl Talk had a bit of higher expectaion whe he was going to be at Coachella. Then seeing him after Justice, it just seemed so ''passe''.

I'll never watch or listen to Girl Talk again after he busted out "Whoomp There It Is" when I saw him.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Cold War Kids sort of come and go with me. I listened to them again before V-Fest in the case that they might have played, and I listened to them not too long ago when someone said they'd probably play Coachella.

Peter Bjorn and John will never be obsolete. Writer's Block is pure genius, and if you take anything away from 2007, I hope it's this album.

The Kooks?

I completely agree on The Fratellis album. It became obsolete a week later.

I also agree on Girl Talk.

I bought The Shins album when it came out and have yet to listen to it. I should probably do that.

I saw Modest Mouse last week. It was solid, but yeah, the new album is starting to collect dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie

girl talk - never got into him in the first place.

also, hot chip is kinda losing its edge on me, but i havent listened to them in a while.

Coachella Junkie

oh, and so is Justice. they're kinda old. still catchy, but old.

still want to see them live tho.

don't agree about justice, totally agree about hot chip, but i think a new album might spice things up a bit.

I bought that Shins albums months ago and still listen to it regularly. It's easily my favorite of theirs. So bite me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

I still don't have the new Shins, but they were fantastic live. Need to get the new Interpol, too. A bit behind on that...

Silversun Pickups is one of those 1-2 song bands for me. Never liked Cold War Kids, or PB& J that much.
    Liked the Kooks (ok, one song), until I saw them at Coachella...was not that impressed.

And Modest Mouse is too inconsistant for me. I literally like every other song I hear from them.

the pb&j album actually was quite pleasurable to listen to this weekend whilst I laid some sod.

an album not standing the test of time is last sage francis album. besides the buck 65 and ant beats on that album I grew tired of the production. his lyrics and content were just aiight.
    “We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

The one album on my mind I've grown tired of is Neon Bible, otherwise the rest of the CDs I bought this year (that were released this year) have aged well.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Seconded on Neon Bible. It's not really the album's fault, it's more that Arcade Fire have been on tour or doing something all year and I've listened to the album too many times as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

I was completely over Bright Eyes about 5 minutes into that Coachella 2005 set. Got bored/annoyed with M.I.A. around September 2005 and ended up selling her CD back to Amoeba.

Wake Up- Arcade Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutral Milk Hotel View Post
    Seconded on Neon Bible. It's not really the album's fault, it's more that Arcade Fire have been on tour or doing something all year and I've listened to the album too many times as a result.
    I disagree. Having only seen them once during Neon Bible, I can tell you that the reason it wore out is because of the album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

the fact that you ever enjoyed girl talk in the first place is amazing to me.

Tokyo Police who?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

The 2nd Editors CD. What a dull fucking affair....

I never liked the Cold War Kids. I listened to Writer's Block a couple weeks ago and still liked it. I never liked the Kooks (sorry, Dani) or the Fratellis. I still really enjoy Night Ripper and mostly enjoyed seeing him live again. Wincing the Night Away never got into deep rotation for me; I like it but that's it. I never loved all of We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank but I just listened to most of it in the car and got about as much out of it as ever.

It is not my intent to be mean but if you're really looking for an overall answer it is that you're not doing a good job of deciding on first listen what is good and what isn't. You're picking music that isn't good for you, that isn't sustainable.

Those artists - other than Girl Talk and Peter, Bjorn and John - are all generic indie pop. Or, at least, that's what they put out now. Sure, there's a bit more range to the Modest Mouse album but Isaac didn't do anything he hadn't already done better. I'd say that that album by the Shins is really good generic indie pop but other than that I wouldn't expect those artists to have staying power.

Listen to what you like. Really. You should listen to what you enjoy. But if you listen to simple pop realize that it's very likely to wear out. And if that's something you want to avoid then find bands that do more, that have more depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.