Thread: Doh to the LA Weekly

Default Doh to the LA Weekly

I went online and they list Oasis Sunday at the Silent Movie theatre as one of their rock picks.

If you go to the silent movie theatre website you realize that it is a Korean movie.

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sal...eventId=219444

And here is the page LA Weekly lists it as a rock pick unless they removed it..

http://www.laweekly.com/music/music/.../17875/?page=3

Default Re: Doh to the LA Weekly

secret show!!!

Oasis
    Lee Chang-Dong’s follow-up to his devastating Peppermint Candy is a powerful, troubling love story. Oasis is about the improbable connection between two social outcasts: a mentally-disabled ex-con (a remarkable Sol Kyung-gu) and a woman with cerebral palsy (the amazing Moon So-ri). Shunned by their respective families, the two forge a relationship that is by turns troubling, touching and life-affirming. Switching between unflinching character study and moments of breathtaking fantasy, Lee’s film is an ethical and aesthetic high-wire act. (How many romances begin with an attempted rape?) Indeed the movie has such potent subject matter and go-for-broke performances that critics have had wildly polarized reactions. But for all of its potentially-exploitative subject matter, Oasis remains of the most genuinely moving films of the past few years. Lee asks us to consider the social isolation and proscribed freedoms of the disabled without resorting to a sermon. Instead he offers a moving, humane narrative about the fundamental need for erotic and emotional intimacy.
    Directed by Lee Chang-dong, 2002, 133 min.

hahaha, check this one out!
    12/29 @ 10:30pm / SERIES: HOLY FUCKING kidSHIT
    The Garbage Pail Kids Movie
    “Building on the images of the trading cards, the movie invests each Kid with a unique personality and power. In the flatulence of Windy Winston, or the halitosis of Foul Phil; in the juxtaposition of Ali Gator and Greaser Greg’s very destructive, yet very different lusts for flesh; in the seeming urinary incontinence of Nat Nerd; in the magic mucus of Messy Tessy; and in the green stream that gives Valerie Vomit her namesake — in each of these, there is a sort of ontological anarchy, chaos as being, which does not draw the viewer in so much as send the viewer out, not by repulsion, but rather by an ardent desire to tear, high and low, the fabric of the curtain standing between us and reality as such. ‘Experience takes place before a curtain which conceals,’ Herbert Marcuse has written, ‘and, if the world is the appearance of something behind the curtain of immediate experience, then, in Hegel's terms, it is we ourselves who are behind the curtain.’”—Andrew Hedden, Bright Lights Film Journal
    Directed by Rodney Amateau, 1987, 100 min.

ha ha

Also playing Sunday:

NE-YO at the Wiltern; OASIS at Silent Movie Theatre; WAYNE HANCOCK, 8 p.m., I SEE HAWKS IN L.A., noon, at Safari Sam’s.
    Yeah, I've seen that Korean film in DVD 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by arbouler View Post
    secret show!!!
    might be better than "lord don't slow me down"!

seriously, I dont know what i expect from a tour doc, but the only highlights were seeing halloran from 94.9 get memorialized for ask a stupid question, (halloran: what does "cast no shadow" mean?. noel: "well if you were dead, you wouldn't have a shadow".) and the bonus dvd which had a manchester city stadium show shot in HD...

Coming soon...

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is the worst movie I've ever seen. Well, the five minutes of it that went by before I changed the channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

I so want to see Garbage Pail Kids