12/16 HAERTS @ the Rickshaw Stop (?)
02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
03/02 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)
I need motivation to make this list...
12/16 HAERTS @ the Rickshaw Stop (?)
02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
03/02 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)
Only updated through 2006, working on tracking down info about the shows before that:
1. 4/5/2006: Bob Dylan (Rabobank Arena, Bakersfield)
2. 12/1/2006: …And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead/Celebration/Brothers & Sisters (Henry Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles)
3. 3/31/07: Brand New/Manchester Orchestra/Kevin Devine (Warfield, San Francisco)
4. 4/27/07-4/29/07: Coachella (Artic Monkeys, Bjork, Jarvis Cocker, Sonic Youth, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, Gotan Project, LCD Soundsystem, The New Pornographers, Explosions in the Sky, The Roots, Air, Rage Against the Machine, Willie Nelson, Lupe Fiasco, Tapes ‘N Tapes)
5. 6/10/07: Morrissey/Kristeen Young (Rabobank Arena, Bakersfield)
6. 7/7/07: The Decemberists/Andrew Bird/Band of Horses (Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles)
7. 9/22/07: The Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem/Wild Light (Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles)
8. 9/29/07: Bright Eyes/Yo La Tengo/M. Ward. (Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles)
9. 10/22/07: The Fiery Furnaces/Pit Er Pat (Troubadour, Los Angeles)
10. 10/30/07: Broken Social Scene/New Buffalo (Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles)
11. 11/1/07: Dethklok/…And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (UCLA, Los Angeles)
12. 11/7/07: The Hold Steady/Art Brut/The Blood Arm (Henry Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles)
13. 11/9/07: Joanna Newsom (Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles)
14. 12/9/07: KROQ Almost Acoustic Xmas Night 2 (Silversun Pickups, The Shins, The Killers, Modest Mouse)
15. 2/4/08: Vampire Weekend (Amoeba Records, Los Angeles)
16. 4/18/08: Elton John (Rabobank Arena, Bakersfield)
17. 4/21/08: Kanye West/Rihanna/N*E*R*D*/Lupe Fiasco (Nokia Theatre, Los Angeles)
18. 5/24/08-5/26/08: Sasquatch (Fleet Foxes, Beirut, The New Pornographers, The National, Okkervil River, R.E.M., Awesome, 65daysofstatic, Cold War Kids, Tegan & Sara, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, Presidents of the United States of America, Built to Spill, Flight of the Conchords, Jamie Lidell, The Flaming Lips, Thao with the Get Down Stay Down, Yeasayer, Blue Scholars, What Made Milwaukee Famous)
19. 6/23/08: Death Cab for Cutie/Rogue Wave (Nokia Theatre, Los Angeles)
20. 7/19/08: Wolf Parade/Listening Party (Henry Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles)
21. 8/23/08: Sunset Junction (Menomena, Broken Social Scene)
22. 8/27/08: Radiohead/Liars (Cricket Wireless Ampitheatre, Los Angeles)
23. 9/6/08: Nine Inch Nails/Deerhunter (The Forum, Los Angeles)
24. 9/23/08: Sea Wolf/Zykos (Henry Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles)
25. 10/1/08: My Bloody Valentine/Spectrum (Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles)
26. 10/2/08: My Bloody Valentine/Gemma Hayes/Spectrum (Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles)
27. 11/22/08: of Montreal/HEALTH (Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles)
28. 11/24/08: The Decemberists/Loch Lomond (Wiltern, Los Angeles)
29. 11/25/08: The Hold Steady/Drive-By Truckers (Wiltern, Los Angeles)
30. 12/2/08: Smashing Pumpkins (Gibson Ampitheatre, Los Angeles)
31. 12/13/08: The Cure (Troubadour, Los Angeles)
32. 1/28/09: Brian Wilson (Wiltern, Los Angeles)
33. 2/8/09: Grammys (U2, Al Green, Justin Timberlake, Coldplay (feat. Jay-Z), Carrie Underwood, Kid Rock, Taylor Swift/Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Hudson, Stevie Wonder & Jonas Brothers , Katy Perry, Estelle & Kanye West, Kenny Chesney, M.I.A., T.I., Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, & Kanye West, Paul McCartney (feat. Dave Grohl), Sugarland, Adele, Radiohead (feat. USC Marching Band), T.I., Duke Fakir, Jamie Foxx, Ne-Yo, and Smokey Robinson, Neil Diamond, John Mayer, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, and Keith Urban, Lil Wayne, Robert Plant and Allison Krauss)
34. 2/26/09: Animal Collective/Ariel Pink/Lucky Dragons (Henry Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles)
35. 2/27/09: Animal Collective/Silk Flowers (Troubadour, Los Angeles)
36. 3/10/09: Akron/Family/Golden Animals/Max Maven (George Allen Theatre, Los Angeles)
37. 3/11/09: Beck (Echo, Los Angeles)
38. 3/12/09: Akron/Family/Harper Simon (George Allen Theatre, Los Angeles)
39. 3/22/09: Blue October/???????? (Club Nokia, Los Angeles)
40. 4/6/09: St. Vincent (Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Los Angeles)
41. 4/16/09: My Bloody Valentine/Kurt Heasley (El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles)
42. 4/17/09-4/19/09: Coachella (Cage the Elephant, The Hold Steady, The Ting Tings, Crystal Castles, Leonard Cohen, Morrissey, Paul McCartney, Ida Maria, Liars, Dr. Dog, Amanda Palmer, Bloody Beetroots, Fleet Foxes, M.I.A., Masodon, MSTRKRT, VIvian Girls, No Age, Okkervil River, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, My Bloody Valentine, Throbbing Gristle)
43. 5/8/09: Iron & Wine/Alela Diane (Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Los Angeles)
44. 5/29/09: Animal Collective/Grouper (Wiltern, Los Angeles)
45. 6/19/09: Grizzly Bear/Here We Go Magic (Wiltern, Los Angeles)
46. 6/20/09: Grizzly Bear/Here We Go Magic (Troubadour, Los Angeles)
47. 6/23/09: Wilco/Jonathan Wilson (Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles)
48. 6/27/09: Wilco/Okkervil River (Greek Theatre, Berkeley)
49. 7/7/09: The Hold Steady/El Bronx (El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles)
50. 7/8/09: Dirty Projectors/What’s Up (Troubadour, Los Angeles)
51. 7/11/09: Death Cab for Cutie/Andrew Bird/Ra Ra Riot (Greek Theatre, Berkeley)
52. 7/13/09: Sharks With Knives (some dude’s backyard, Santa Cruz)
53. 7/13/09: Tortoise/Pit Er Pat (Great American Music Hall, San Francisco)
54. 7/27/09: Jarvis Cocker/Little Joy (Wiltern, Los Angeles)
55. 8/17/09: The Flaming Lips/Ghostland Observatory/White Dwarf & Stardeath (Greek Theatre, Los Angeles)
56. 8/26/09: M.I.A./a bunch of other people (Some warehouse, Los Angeles)
57. 9/5/09: FYF Fest (Dillinger Escape Plan, No Age, Lightning Bolt, Wavves) (Los Angeles State Historic Park, Los Angeles)
58. 9/6/09: Nine Inch Nails/HEALTH (Echoplex, Los Angeles)
59. 9/10/09: Nine Inch Nails/io echo (Wiltern, Los Angeles)
60. 9/27/09: Bon Iver (Hollywood Forever Cemetery, Los Angeles)
61. 10/4/09: Thom Yorke (Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles)
62. 10/5/09: Thom Yorke (Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles)
63. 10/8/09: ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (Henry Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles)
64. 10/15/09: Yo La Tengo (Avalon, Los Angeles)
65. 10/20/09: Grizzly Bear (Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles)
66. 11/4/09: Pixies/No Age (Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles)
67. 11/6/09: Pixies/Rain Machine (Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles)
68. 11/8/09: Pixies/Rain Machine (Fox Theatre, Oakland)
Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
I am gonna really put together this list very soon. Right now I am trying to track down shows that i know had no stubs, like stuff at Spaceland, viper room, the smell,amoeba, etc. Some of it is surprisingly easy and some of it is pretty hard because I can remember time periods but not really years and dates for all these.
if a show had a ticket though, i have that ticket, organized in book (with the exception of one show I can think of at the wiltern where they took my ticket to give me a wrist band and never gave it back)
I won't bother trying to list the hundreds of local band and friend's bands show i've been to (unless they played with somebody significant). I've been to the roxy, whiskey, derby, the gig, king king, old town pub, and all these other places so many times i can't even count to even try to track that stuff. And then there's the backyard and house shows...
Anyone who can list every show they've ever been to does not drink enough.
Now that I think about it, I really should have started a seperate local bands concert history. There is actually quite a lot of good bands playing in the local scene here and I am almost positive a couple of them are going to make it. I think I might start this sometime soon...
What is wrong with local shows.
Please do not take this as argument for including all local shows, merely as a reasonable question when searching for some standardization: Where do y'all draw the line between local shows and not local shows.
If I see Calexico does that count as a local show. They are from Arizona (Tucson) and play here a lot but they also tour. But sometimes I see them on not a tour.
On September 25, 2007 I went to a show at the Trunk Space (tiny venue, <100) where the headliner was Andrew Jackson Jihad, a local folk-punk band. They have since done at least regional tours. The reason I went was to see The Gunshy, a dude what is from Pennsylvania. Sometimes he tours with a band, the times I've seen him have been just him solo. QUESTION: Does this show count? What is the significant factor(s) in determining yes or no.
Two more situations to prove the rules:
July 5th of this year I went to Modified to see Abe Vigoda. I saw Step Cousins, the Chandails and Underwater Getdown, all local to Phoenix. I'm fairly certain there has been neither national releases nor even regional touring from them. Then I got tired and left before Abe Vigoda came on. What does this count as?
September 2002 I flew to London and took trains/ferries/buses to get to Lancaster where I went to the Yorkshire House and saw Mob Curious, Puma Sutras, 3D Tanx and the final show by Angelica. All four bands were local to Lancaster. Angelica had played some shows in London and John Peel liked a few songs they did but they were hardly more than a local band. What does this count as for me, who, to clarify, is not from Lancaster.
I don't think you really need to worry about rules...this is something for people to peruse and think, "oh cool this guy has been to a lot of shows" or "this guy is prick and is just trying to show off how many shows he has been to"
either way...just make your list and don't worry about it
I am not planning on changing my list. I count all of those shows along with ones that are unambiguously local shows. But I am interested in the discussion and seeing what other people do.
And then there was the year i spent ahnging out at king King pretty much every week where they had rotating house bands and there were a handful of bands that i barely remember their names that i saw more then a dozen times apiece...
Suffice to say, i think it's how you personally want to quality what and why something is worth putting into the list and why you're making said list
I have far too many friends in bands to list any of those shows...I used to live around the corner from a few bars in downtown Orange, and used to regularly stop in to check out shows, almost every night of the week...then my next apartment was down the street from this place in Lake Forest called the Gypsy Lounge, which has bands every night of the week...now my brother lives walking distance from Detroit Bar in Costa Mesa
there have to be 100-200 shows at those places alone that I would have almost no chance of recalling many specific details from and no ticket or documentation to support my hazy memory
Thats total b.s. if they end up on a label and end up touring, as stated above with other reasoning...
So if a ''local'' band you were friends with and everything, you saw them play a ton, then they got on a major label and all that, million record selling etc etc, all those shows do not count?
I think whether or not a band is known outside of their hometown (by people such as Coachella board members) is the perfect barometer to distinguish between a "local" band and just a band from your hometown. Or, whether or not the band tours nationally, could be another way to put it.
I plan to make one of these as soon as I can. I am kind of inspired. My list would be pretty short, yes, because I'm only 19 and started attending shows when I was 16. But its the kind of thing I really want to hang onto for the future.