Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella Makes The Rolling Stones List

Default Coachella Makes The Rolling Stones List

this deserved its own thread .... i wish i had one of those hey PF lol .... canx**

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/posters/rock.html

just to add comments, if you have one of those posters from coachella, post a pic ....
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Default Re: Coachella Makes The Rolling Stones List

I am going to agree with their number 1.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I have that Coachella poster, bext $20 I spent that whole weekend.

Banned

Omg I want that Pink floyd poster. Ebay here I come.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I don't get their criteria for judging. there are so many great rock posters out there that I think are equally as good as anything on that list. I don't understand what makes these 25 so great.

Banned

Are you a designer?

The Thelonious Monk and Jimi Hendrix Experience ones are nice. I don't particularly care for the majority of the others, though.

Elvis Costello, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and Thelonious Monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I don't get their criteria for judging. there are so many great rock posters out there that I think are equally as good as anything on that list. I don't understand what makes these 25 so great.
    exactly. some of those are cool, but some are just average imo. and there are so many million rock posters, its kind of stupid to try to make a top 25.

i have the sickest posters from 06 coachella. its not official, but was a bootleg being sold in the lot. i have them framed, ill have to post a picture. best rock posters ive ever bought.

I am excited for the "PJ vs the ames bros" book to come out. I think the PJ one they picked is just average. I have this poster that has every poster they made for the 98' yield tour and off the top of my head I can think of a couple that are better. i will post a pic of that poster when I get home because it really is awesome.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I am excited for the "PJ vs the ames bros" book to come out. I think the PJ one they picked is just average. I have this poster that has every poster they made for the 98' yield tour and off the top of my head I can think of a couple that are better. i will post a pic of that poster when I get home because it really is awesome.
    yea, that book should be cool, but honestly, i dont think ill get it. i dont have the attention span to look through a book of posters. i guess it would be a good coffee table book, something for your guests to peruse.

and yea, there are a WAAAY better PJ ones than the one they picked. i have one from almost every show ive gone to, and the funniest part is that all but one are sitting in poster tubes in my closet, cuz i dont have the wall space to frame them. one day when i buy my own place ill have my game/concert room with the million posters and memorabilia i have framed up on the wall. until then...they are all on the wall in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sexecutioner View Post
    yea, that book should be cool, but honestly, i dont think ill get it. i dont have the attention span to look through a book of posters. i guess it would be a good coffee table book, something for your guests to peruse.

and yea, there are a WAAAY better PJ ones than the one they picked. i have one from almost every show ive gone to, and the funniest part is that all but one are sitting in poster tubes in my closet, cuz i dont have the wall space to frame them. one day when i buy my own place ill have my game/concert room with the million posters and memorabilia i have framed up on the wall. until then...they are all on the wall in my mind.
    I agree about the coffee table thing. i imagine I will look through it once and then let my friends do the rest. I also have a poster from almost* every show I have been too, and just like you all but one are in a poster tube. I have room to hang them all, but I dont want to hang them without framing them.

*the reason I do not have all the posters to the shows that I went to is because when I went to the 03' madison square garden shows the employees of the venue got word that the posters had a high resell value they jumped all over them deeming them very hard to come by at the show. i was pissed!
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Ames bros book = fantastic. Anything Jeff's A.'s brother and Ames have done for PJ has been top notch, it would be hard to single out a dozen, let alone just one.

There are some great poster books out there. I like the book SONIC (it contains posters and some cool cd packaging designs). There is also a great series called Sampler (volumes 1 and 2). Also the Art of Modern Rock is pretty damn good too.

I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but I really don't like what Emek did for the Coachella poster. I thought they needed someone else that fit better, maybe Jason Munn? Anyway, I'm surprised (well not really its RS) that it made it to the list. Again, there are many many many current poster designers that I think do far superior work than Emek. Imo.

I agree with the #1 pick though - highly influential.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

air supply was also highly influential.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Coachella Junkie

Most of those posters are fucking terrible. The Ben Harper and Radiohead ones are especially egregious. That's a shitty pick for Kozik too. Bla bla bla.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Most of those posters are fucking terrible. The Ben Harper and Radiohead ones are especially egregious. That's a shitty pick for Kozik too. Bla bla bla.
    I HATE the Radiohead one they had in the top 25. Most RH posters are pretty crappy and few in number (as the arcticle pointed out) - I think they just wanted to include a RH poster in the list.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 12-07-2007 at 08:25 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

I like these...

The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by sexecutioner View Post
    one day when i buy my own place ill have my game/concert room with the million posters and memorabilia i have framed up on the wall. until then...they are all on the wall in my mind.
    my tv room - a work in progress - I have 7 posters framed and up in there now. (not shown - White Stripes, RJD2, Arcade Fire)

The Glitter Freeze

What's the beef with that Radiohead poster exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

As a designer there a few beefs: Type choice, size and placement of image, heirarchy of design elements, etc...

As a fan of the band I have more of a problem with it because it looks like something that would've been done for Marlyn Manson or Killswitch Engage and not Radiohead.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    What's the beef with that Radiohead poster exactly?
    It looks like a flyer for a first year theater Les Miserables performance. Featuring Photohop plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    my tv room - a work in progress - I have 7 posters framed and up in there now. (not shown - White Stripes, RJD2, Arcade Fire)

nice... That libertines one is tits. Is it from a specific show?

I bought a ton of stanley donwood prints. I havent got em all framed yet, but I bought the following:

I have the eraser cover art print, #5 out of only 13 that were printed on mulberry paper. super tits!

my favorite is #3 out of only 25 of the hail to the thief album art print. Hand signed etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Coachella Junkie

Super tits!

awesome Stanley stuff. Tits indeed.

The Libs poster is from a show I caught in 03 - in Minny, Minn. - at 7th Street Entry. I was fortunate enough to see them 4 times before Pete pawned all Carl's shit and thus was removed from the band.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I have that Coachella poster, bext $20 I spent that whole weekend.
    Where'd you get it? At one of the booths scattered around the fields?

I went to that booth (just left of the main merch tent) and I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Like I said, I just didn't like it enough. Hopefully they will get someone else to design it this year, I don't usually pimp out design studios, but in this case... Hey Goldenvoice! WHY NOT USE AESTHETIC APPARATUS FOR THIS YEAR'S POSTER? (Hint Hint - it will be very cool, people will buy it)

http://www.aestheticapparatus.com/
    The Glitter Freeze

I bought one of those Emek posters Saturday evening,and the girl behind the counter was kind enough to hold it for me until the end of the show so it didn't get all wrecked.I have designs on eventually having it framed,but right now it's still rolled up.
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Do you want to continue talking about Lizards?

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I have so many posters that I've been wanting to get framed, but never got around to it. the collection has kept on growing, it'd cost a fortune to get them all framed now. plus I don't have room to hang them all at the moment. lol. I guess I'm collecting for some future point when I have a house and lots of wall space.

Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I bought one of those Emek posters Saturday evening,and the girl behind the counter was kind enough to hold it for me until the end of the show so it didn't get all wrecked.I have designs on eventually having it framed,but right now it's still rolled up.
    that's cool that she did that. I never buy posters at the beginning of a show for that reason. mind you that prevented me from getting a Daft Punk tour poster at the LA show. at Berkeley I had to go buy one during the encore to ensure I got one. but yeah, the idea of carrying it the entire night it just awful. there's no way it would survive.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    Where'd you get it? At one of the booths scattered around the fields?
    I had mentioned this poster in another thread, and I naturally asked the same question as you:

PF said "maybe ask emek? http://www.emek.net/", the artist page said "email me". Looks like you can still get the poster direct from Emek...

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13227

Here are the posters i bought in the parking lot. the lines going up and down are blinds behind me being reflected in the glass. i fucked with the border in photoshop though so theres no reflection in that part.