Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: During Winter Break...

Default Re: During Winter Break...

Yeah, glad you are digging some of it so far. I gave you to live shows that I think arw great, I might add a couple others that stand out to me just cause they played a s**tload of songs.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    "

But "Blow Out" was a pretty good album closer. I take that it's probably a hint of what's to come, especially the instrumentation and what-not.
    Blow Out is probably one out of maybe 3-4 songs that stand out on Pablo Honey (for me, at least). It's a good one indeed.

Currently playing The Bends.

"Planet Telex"

I like the piano intro. I've heard it before, so that means this song's familiar to a degree.

EDIT: "Planet Telex" is currently my favorite Radiohead song.

Also, there's a part during the self-titled track, just the (I assume) normal verse, that sounds a lot like the Screaming Trees... Again, weird.

I've always been able to bear "High and Dry"... just not on repeat. "Fake Plastic Trees", however, is another stellar track.
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 12-17-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Woah. Fuck. I didn't know "Bones" was by Radiohead... I totally thought that was written by, like, The Church or something... Funny. Awesome song, nevertheless.

EDIT: I definitely hear pieces of the Beatles and the Smiths in "(Nice Dream)".
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 12-17-2007 at 12:32 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Planet Telex is handily the best song off The Bends.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

Coachella Junkie

Planet Telex is a very good one indeed. I cant call a best one from the Bends tho. My favs are definitely telex, fake plastic trees, nice dream, and street spirit. and bullet proof.

I don't know why, but Street Spirit never did it for me. I haven't listened to The Bends in quite a long time though.
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

www.facebook.com/mlingo

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Woah. Fuck. I didn't know "Bones" was by Radiohead... I totally thought that was written by, like, The Church or something... Funny. Awesome song, nevertheless.

EDIT: I definitely hear pieces of the Beatles and the Smiths in "(Nice Dream)".
    The intro on Planet Telex is actually Jonnys guitar. You probably heard it cause thats the song in the Coachells DVD, so I suggest finding that youtube video of it.

I cant wait til you get to OK and Kid A. Your mind is going to explode

OK Computer and the albums after that definitely need 3-5 listens before you make up your mind about them. There are a couple songs on Kid A that I couldn't listen to until this year (post acid).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I took a shower and a long break, but I'm going to finish The Bends before going out to lunch.

"Just" is alright, it's got a great rhythm and a great riff, but I'm not at all impressed with the lyrics on the song.

"My Iron Lung" has a trippy bridge, but a lot of it feels like "Just" Part II... I feel like the first half of The Bends, thus far, is superior to the latter half.
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 12-17-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    OK Computer and the albums after that definitely need 3-5 listens before you make up your mind about them. There are a couple songs on Kid A that I couldn't listen to until this year (post acid).
    Funnily enough Kid A was the only one that I loved immediately, although OK Computer was close.

www.facebook.com/mlingo

"Bulletproof...I Wish I Was" has improved the second half of the album on it's lonesome. Good tune.

EDIT: The riffage on "Black Star" is good, I'm going to have to listen to it a few more times to get ahold of the lyrics.
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 12-17-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:

kudos for really doing this Passive. I agree on Bends, the first half of the album is a lot stronger.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. "Sulk" was actually also really good.

Listening to "Street Spirit"... I think I'm going to have to give it a second listen at some point in the (near) future, but it's very chant-y... And given Thom's falsetto, the words can sometimes blend together.

The thing I enjoy the most about The Bends is that it feels like they got it right, in terms of mixing the instruments and Thom's voice, with this.

And now "Street Spirit" draws to a close, so that means I can give the Bends a rating! Whoo!

Let me put it this way:

First half: B+/A- (A, with multiple listens) (I really can't listen to High and Dry more than twice in a row... But I find myself wanting to listen to Fake Plastic Trees, Bones and Planet Telex more)
    Second half: B-/B (I doubt this will change) (Again "Just" and "My Iron Lung" are horribly placed one RIGHT after the other [the same could be said about "High and Dry" and "Fake Plastic Trees", but I might be splitting hairs])

Overall: I'm going to give the Bends a B+, because there are definitely some standout tracks, it's clearly obvious the band learned how to produce and mix their record right, and there are some really catchy riffs and hooks in about a half-dozen songs. My only problems with the Bends are "High and Dry", the second half of the album being slightly lackluster, and (this is cosmetic) it feels like the bass is still being buried. Granted, in the heavier songs the bass will always get buried, but I'm just not hearing it.
    Upcoming Shows:

And now keep in mind, every album from here on out, is produced by Nigel Godrich, the end..... Im gonna send u a couple other live shows, keep an eye out for a pm.

I got it, thanks Supre.

I um... Yeah, got sidetracked by some friends coming over. So it looks like I may stretch this into a 48 hour thing, but fear not people, I'm not going to cop out easily. I'm definitely going to try to get through OK Computer tonight before I go to bed... I may need to go to bed early, though, since tomorrow I'mma stake out a wii.
    Upcoming Shows:

The Bends is my favorite album by Radiohead.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Upload onto ipod, or burn onto a cd and listen to it while you wait!!!

OK Computer is going to blow your fucking mind Passive. I don't mean to create high expectations, but it will live up to it. My girlfriend doesnt even like Radiohead, and she admits its a good album.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie

I got into Radiohead back in April after hearing so much rave about them here on these boards. Seriously, the hype and anticipation you guys on the board built up for me was huge; like when I first put OK Comp into my stereo to give it a listen, I was expecting my head to explode from some kind of sheer awesomeness.

Granted that didnt really happen, but wow. They converted me to someone who shows alot more appreciation to alternative rock (I was really an only EDM fan before hand). I remember first hearing Subterranean Homesick Alien, and just putting that on repeat for the entire weekend. I know have all of Radiohead's albums, with my favorite still being OK Computer; it easily places itself in my top 5 albums of all time, because it influenced/motivated me to expand my musical tastes.

Passive, you'll love it.
    Last edited by betao; 12-17-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Uptight. Uptight.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    I got into Radiohead back in April after hearing so much rave about them here on these boards. Seriously, the hype and anticipation you guys on the board built up for me was huge; like when I first put OK Comp into my stereo to give it a listen, I was expecting my head to explode.

Granted that didnt really happen, but wow. They converted me to someone who shows alot more appreciation to alternative rock (I was really an only EDM fan before hand). I remember first hearing Subterranean Homesick Alien, and just putting that on repeat for the entire weekend. I know have all of Radiohead's albums, with my favorite still being OK Computer; it easily places itself in my top 5 albums of all time, because it influenced/motivated me to expand my musical tastes.

Passive, you'll love it.
    This is the story for me too, except it happened back in 2003. An online friend, JBond, sent me Karma Police, Paranoid Android, and Like Spinning Plates. I remember thinking there couldn't be a better song in the universe than Karma Police.

www.facebook.com/mlingo

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    I got into Radiohead back in April after hearing so much rave about them here on these boards. Seriously, the hype and anticipation you guys on the board built up for me was huge; like when I first put OK Comp into my stereo to give it a listen, I was expecting my head to explode from some kind of sheer awesomeness.

Passive, you'll love it.
    Dude, put a spoiler warning.

EDIT: It took me about 2 minutes to not like this joke.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 12-17-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: : (
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

the bass in paranoid android will blow your mind

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Neutral Milk Hotel View Post
    This is the story for me too, except it happened back in 2003. An online friend, JBond, sent me Karma Police, Paranoid Android, and Like Spinning Plates. I remember thinking there couldn't be a better song in the universe than Karma Police.
    Yeah. Funnily enough, I didnt really enjoy Karma Police at the start. My instant favs from Ok Computer were SHA, Exit Music, and Lucky.

Subterranean Homesick Alien remains one of only a few songs (by any artist) that I could probably listen to forever without getting old. It changed me.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    What am I spoiling?

Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    the bass in paranoid android will blow your mind
    No, the guitar solo will. Plus the bass part too.

He was making a joke. A joke he didn't like, after review.

I don't think Karma Police is that great. I would be happy to never hear it live and have it replaced with Subterranean Homesick Alien.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

EDIT: It took me about 2 minutes to not like this joke.
    ah. Never mind, I see now. Nicely done mate.

were is you at now, Passive?