Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: During Winter Break...

Default Re: During Winter Break...

Good point, well he could put some other b sides on there that you might not get in what I sent you.

what did you put on there supre? I was just gonna put all of the bsides from kida, amnesiac, and HTTT. she seems to have most of the earlier stuff.

I put em all on there. I uploaded the HTTT singles, Amnesiac singles, How am I driving, a few other e.p.s and the older singles which have the ''essential'' stuff. Ill send u the link to see if you wanna check em ou and see if there is something you dont have. Odds are we have %90 of the same stuff, the difference is usually what live recordings people have.

seems pretty solid. i'm not a big fan of the older obscure stuff anyhow. as far as live recordings go, people can seek those out on their own.

sounds like you are set already amy. cheers supre.

Okay so finals are done, I'm going home tonight, when I arrive in SD tomorrow morning (stupid greyhound) I'll get around to downloading what Supre uploaded, so I'm thinking that probably Monday will be the day I do this (since Sat. and Sun. I'll be seeing people). Will update later, till' then, enjoy your... 12 hours of not hearing from me.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Oh, by the way Passive. Those links expired, guess I shouldve told you they only last a week from the last download, which never happend. Ill work on em again.

I still don't have a computer if you're talking about the Radiohead link. I'm not sure how long this torture will last. My husband is sending back a defective motherboard and will get a new motherboard at some point in the future. arghhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'm downloading the files right now. And if I have issues with them, I'll let Supre know...
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I pmed you.

DONT USE FIREFOX.

I wont... Again.

Anyway, the first 6 are almost done, I'll finish d/ling the rest tonight. Monday looks like the day, though, folks!
    Upcoming Shows:

So I just asked Supre to send me HTTT and, if possible, In Rainbows, to round out my final playlist. Now, the question befalling me is, will I listen to everything chronologically? Should I just put it on random and let it go loose? Or... What do you suggest, oh Coachella and Radiohead faithful?
    Upcoming Shows:

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Your ideas about music are so outre that I don't think it will much matter either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Right, because, you know, being objective and giving this a listen is just so fucking pretentious of me. Seriously, all you do is look for something to nag at, even when I'm trying to be proactive about music.
    Upcoming Shows:

Listen to them in chronological order, I say. Although if I had to list them in order of how I like them, it'd be OK Computer, In Rainbows, The Bends, Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief (which I think gets unfairly thumped but is actually a solid record in its own right), then Pablo Honey.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Go chronological.

Pablo Honey
    The Bends
    OK Computer
    Kid A
    Amnesiac
    HTTT
    In Rainbows

That's 1 for personal order, 1 for chronological. I'll be entertaining opinions until Monday when I put this in motion.
    Upcoming Shows:

While I realize you're just looking for opinions on how to listen to this stuff, I hope you're doing it for the right reasons...like, don't being doing this to please everyone else and make everyone like you. It's okay to not like Radiohead. Seriously. I didn't like them for a long time, and I'm totally awesome. While doing something like you are (dling and listening to all the records) helped me to respect and even enjoy their music, I don't worship at the altar of Radiohead. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Maybe people wouldn't get on your case about it if you came up with a more thoughtful/open-minded/eloquent way of expressing that Radiohead doesn't get your jollies off.

That said, listening in chronological order helped me because it gave me an idea of the career arc. I had only heard the artier stuff before, so when I discovered they were a guitar band before anything, I started to dig them. And then the rest grew on me. Good luck.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I really like the phrase "get your jollies off". It's festive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    While I realize you're just looking for opinions on how to listen to this stuff, I hope you're doing it for the right reasons...like, don't being doing this to please everyone else and make everyone like you. It's okay to not like Radiohead. Seriously. I didn't like them for a long time, and I'm totally awesome. While doing something like you are (dling and listening to all the records) helped me to respect and even enjoy their music, I don't worship at the altar of Radiohead. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Maybe people wouldn't get on your case about it if you came up with a more thoughtful/open-minded/eloquent way of expressing that Radiohead doesn't get your jollies off.

That said, listening in chronological order helped me because it gave me an idea of the career arc. I had only heard the artier stuff before, so when I discovered they were a guitar band before anything, I started to dig them. And then the rest grew on me. Good luck.
    I already openly admitted that, in large part, it's to get the monkey off my back. But I feel it's also an objective way to look at it.

The songs of Radiohead that I've heard and just not felt as strongly about as a lot of the people on here do, have been their commercial singles, by and large, so by doing this I feel like I'll have done what I can in terms of coming to terms with whether or not I like the band.

And I already tried expressing the fact I'm not crazy about Radiohead's music (and fanbase) in more ways than I can count: It hasn't changed a damn thing.

I'm not putting any weight on how this experiment will change my outlook on Radiohead, but I do feel like I'm doing the group's music justice, so we'll see what happens.
    Upcoming Shows:

i say just listen chronologically. but don't bother with Pablo Honey, it's pretty lame.

I'm not sure the order matters, but I'd recommend listening to complete albums, as opposed to just hitting "shuffle." Taken individually, the songs on OK Computer (or any of their discs) are great, but I think they gain even more heard in the context of the whole album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Consensus states to go with chronological order, so that I will do.

I have to drop my dad off at the airport tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll start this when I get back, so somewhere around 6am... If I don't fall back to sleep.
    Upcoming Shows:

Couldn't fall back to sleep, so after watching my last non-Radiohead related music video for today (Psychedelic Furs' "Pretty In Pink"... I figure if I have VH1 classic here at home I might as well get SOME mileage out of it) I am now listening to Pablo Honey in full.

* Currently listening to "You"
    Upcoming Shows:

Just wanted to mention that "Stop Whispering" sounds a lot like a U2 song... Weird.

EDIT: Pablo Honey songs I like:
    "Thinking About You"
    "Vegetable"
    "I Can't"
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 12-17-2007 at 07:23 AM.
    Upcoming Shows:

Coachella Junkie

any opinions?

oh and feel free to skip creep. i'm sure you've heard that countless times already.

So far Pablo Honey seems like usual Britpop fare. "Anyone Can Play Guitar" was kinda interesting. Thom's voice seems buried in the mix for "Vegetable" except during the chorus. Otherwise I like it too. "Ripchord" seemed kinda meh. I'm now on "Prove Yourself".

EDIT: The guitar solo just before the minute and a half mark on "Prove Yourself" is bitchin'. But aside from it, there's nothing too great.

"I Can't" is pretty brilliant, especially with the fadeout.
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 12-17-2007 at 07:22 AM.
    Upcoming Shows:

Coachella Junkie

yea Pablo Honey will seem like that. Most fans argue it as their least favorite radiohead ablum, because it sounds just like you said - a simple britpop fare.

keep us updated!

"Lurgee" was alright, nothing to rave about.

But "Blow Out" was a pretty good album closer. I take that it's probably a hint of what's to come, especially the instrumentation and what-not.

Now that I'm done with Pablo Honey, I'm probably going to get 2 hours of shut-eye and get back on The Bends when I get back.

As for an initial review of Pablo Honey? Well... Nothing special, really, 4-5 good tracks that all need another listen through to say whether or not they're great tracks. So, for now, I'll tag it with a C+/B- rating. But, like betao said, most people peg this one as their least favorite, at least I listened to it first.
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Given the misconception that I hate Radiohead with the white-hot intensity of 10,000 suns, and inspired by John's 24-hour Cure listening day he did (although lord knows why... I think he wanted to kill himself by the end of that day), I'm going to, upon returning home for Winter Break (after the 14th) dedicate 24 hours to listening to nothing but Radiohead and Thom Yorke's solo disc.

Yeah.

So, I need an appropriate mix or two, and probably a link to a megaupload file with their entire collection.

And, like John, I'll give periodic updates over the course of the day. I figure it'll be one of the days before my HS friends get out of school so I'll have pretty much nothing to do at home.

And thanks for you help... The one or two of you who'll have something constructive to say, or link to post.
    first, passive, this is an amazing step on your part. major kudos for trying.

but I'm confused by the particulars. I mean, RH doesn't have 24 hours of recorded music. are you going to listen to things several times over? Also, is this 24 hours straight, or are you going to do like three 8-hour shifts?

a piece of advice. RH's best music opens up like a blossoming flower after repeated listenings. what you don't notice the first or second time you may realize is genius the third or fourth time. your brain needs to give it the space required to make this happen.

also, wmgaretjax's playlist is a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I think I'm going to end up doing... Album shifts, I think. My only plans today are to hang out with a friend later on in the afternoon and get some rest, but otherwise, yeah, I ought to be listening to the albums and extras one after the next.

But I don't think it will cover a 24 hour period, so I suppose I am trying to get through all of Radiohead's material in one go (by one go I mean one normal, human day (roughly 12-15 hours)). Namely everything Supre gave me (the albums + a few singles and a live show)

And, to add truth to what you said about RH needing multiple listenings, I already pegged at least 5 songs I need to listen more than twice on Pablo Honey (I went back and re-listened to some parts because I feel like I zoned out for a bit... I think I need to go back to bed, lol).
    Upcoming Shows: