Ok, not really, but after attending Lolla this year I learned a lot of valuable lessons:
- 3 day pass wearers were given a WRIST BAND so they could easily go IN AND OUT without tying up the entrance and being forced to spend hours in the painfully hot sun waiting in line for tickets they purchased months before.
- Water was plentiful and inexpensive. And they had SMART water. (Wait, electrolytes in the heat? What a great idea!)
- There were paid volunteers walking around with silly shoulder strappy things collecting beer cups for recycling so there was a lot less waste
- UPS had a booth right near the place where they were selling Lolla concessions. At first we were like, how lame. And then we realized... O-M-G, that's BRILLANT. Buy things (maybe even get them signed) and then... instead of leaving them in the portajohn by accident, you can MAIL THEM HOME. It's a stroke of genius!
- Set times were well staggered, but considering the number of bands at Coachella, I just don't see this as being possible.
Some other ideas (from me, not learned from Lolla):
- How about having a fleet of people with golf carts to bring people in from the outside? I would seriously pay someone to escort me there in a more efficient manner. The way it is done now is horrible.
- Misters. Is it too much to ask to have them in more locations around the venue?
- Give some relief to the poor cellphone-charging bike riders. I felt sad that they weren't in the shade and felt worried that someone was going to collapse from heat exhaustion and then sue the guys at Goldenvoice. That would have been bad.
- Get some more variety back into the lineup. I love it when my friends make me go see some breaking edge Hip Hop or when I can take them to see the best new barely discovered DJ in the dance tent.
- Speaking of tents, do you really need to schedule big bands in the Gobi tent? I mean, it becomes a very very very small place when you are selling 50,000 tickets.
One thing that (unfortunately) Lolla didn't do better... please, NO MORE Perry Farrell. I don't care if he's there as himself, or as DJ Peretz, or as Janes Addiction, or as Satellite Party, I'm just sooooooo tired of him always being around. Just give us 1 year off, that's all I ask.
Ok, I'm done ranting. Can't WAIT for April!