Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morrissey vs. the NME

Default Morrissey vs. the NME

The NME is running a Morrissey interview as its front cover piece this week:

The interview has apparently been 'fabricated' by the NME, and suggests that Morrissey has racist views. The interviewer has removed his name from the piece, and Morrissey's people are now threatening legal action against the NME.

You can read all about it here.

Oh dear.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

Default Re: Morrissey vs. the NME

Sounds like their desperate to increase their subscriper base.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Ooohhhh......Don't mez with the Moz. He'll sing you swan songs till you DIE.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Anyone who still reads the NME probably doesn't know who Morrissey is.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Does he call anyone "nappy headed hoes?"Because he can get his job back if he does...
    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Do you want to continue talking about Lizards?

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

why would you fabricate an interview with morrissey like that? they're mad. I hope they get sued and go out of buisness.

yes I know how unlikely that is. it was just a hope.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    why would you fabricate an interview with morrissey like that? they're mad. I hope they get sued and go out of buisness.

yes I know how unlikely that is. it was just a hope.
    sounds like it wasn't fabricated, merely spun in a way morrissey didn't appreciate. he has a history of being an absolute fucking toddler (ie, booting supports on last tour for making a joke about him), and while I can't stand NME, I imagine he was pretty well represented in the interview.

interesting to see how the immigration conversation differs in the UK than it does in the US
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'm actually glad he booted Kristeen Young (who sounds like a horrid awful Bjork rip-off with half the creativity and twice the annoying pitch... and is ugly) off from the tour... And here I thought Morrissey used to have good opening band choices (James) sheesh...

Anyway, I find this new development all the more funny given that there was a time where NME stood, for some, for New Morrissey Express... Morrissey has a sketchy legal past, so chances are 50/50 that NME will pay, but yeah, they're a terrible magazine nowadays...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

interesting to see how the immigration conversation differs in the UK than it does in the US
    how so Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    I'm actually glad he booted Kristeen Young
    People were imitating her billy goat yowl by the 5th song in. It was quite sad and hilarious at the same time. Perhaps this was his reasoning for booking her in the first place.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    People were imitating her billy goat yowl by the 5th song in. It was quite sad and hilarious at the same time. Perhaps this was his reasoning for booking her in the first place.
    I hated Kristeen Young. Moz needed to have Girl In A Coma open for him the whole tour, not just the last few dates.
    ~If you're feeling sinister, go off and see a minister~

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Morrisey a racist? HA!
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Im suprised Morrisey doesnt get his ass kicked way more. I bet he got it in bunches as a kid...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

he is human and he needs to be loved...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    Im suprised Morrisey doesnt get his ass kicked way more. I bet he got it in bunches as a kid...
    I'm positive he got his ass kicked.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

God NME is such a rag.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Quote Originally Posted by mozabilly54 View Post
    I hated Kristeen Young. Moz needed to have Girl In A Coma open for him the whole tour, not just the last few dates.
    Hey mozbilly54!!!
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Not really, he used to be able to run fast as a kid, still you have to figure he must have gotten his face kicked in a few times if he wrote stuff like Rusholme Ruffians.

Also, Morrissey's done some dumb shit to perpetuate the idea that he's a racist; sporting the Union Jack flag at a concert, posing with skinheads, making comments about Top of the Pops only playing black artists, etc.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Well, the union jack is just the brisitsh national flag so no biggie there. And all Morrisey fans look like skinheads to me, even the ones w/ long hair. He might be right about top of the pops, but I get where yous comin from.

From wikipedia:
    A trigger for much of the criticism was Morrissey's performance at the first Madness Madstock! reunion concert at Finsbury Park, London, in 1992, in which he appeared on stage draped in the Union Flag, a symbol often associated with nationalism and hence with far right groups in Britain. As a backdrop for this performance, he chose a photograph of two female skinheads.

And on the new issue of NME itself:
    In 2007 Morrissey was quoted as saying, "Britain's a terribly negative place. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you. Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears." However, he called racism "silly" and "beyond reason". [30] Morrissey's lawyers are now pressing legal action against NME for publishing this interview and portraying him in this manner.[31]
    Upcoming Shows:

So... the Union Flag is a big deal in that respect. Morrissey has to know the implications of walking on stage with something like that. Regardless of how else the symbol can be swung or interpreted, you are bound to be linked with the skinhead troupe. And while skinheads can be non-racist and swell people, you are setting yourself up for criticism if you throw imagery like that around. I don't give a fuck either way, but they guy clearly likes controversy. I think it's childish that once he stirs it up, he sends the lawyers in.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears
    that's a good thing, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Hey mozbilly54!!!
    Hi Fatbastard! Miss me?

Are we talking about this flag? Really, it's not a big deal.

Are we talking about this flag? Really, it's not a big deal.

Okay, but seriously, I don't read much into it. However, wm, you hit it on the head; Moz loves controversy... I mean, fuck, he heard Johnny Rogan's title alone and cursed him to die in an M3 pileup... Morrissey is fond of talking out of his ass, and sometimes it's gets him in trouble (I know the Manic Street Preachers, of all people, have called him out on his shit and he backed down) but the guy has a fucking loyal fanbase, and they'll tolerate his shit endlessly and just chalk it up to Moz being Moz.
    Upcoming Shows:

"The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

I bought this today and it looks like Tim Jonze brought the whole issue up again by asking if Morrisey would ever return to the UK. This started off as a good interview then suddenly turned into a mess.
    If Jonze does not like the answers he might get, I would suggest he side-steps asking provocative questions. It now appears the boy has got in out his depth.
    I hope Morrissey fuckin bankrupts them, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    You'd be surprised just how quickly the edge of your own sanity comes into view.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefinitely Maybe View Post
    Morrissey to sue NME over story - BBC News

Excerpt:

The magazine criticized the former Smiths star for allegedly telling a reporter Britain had lost its identity due to high levels of immigration.

A deadline to print the retraction passed at 1300GMT.

His lawyers said they were now issuing legal proceedings for defamation on behalf of Morrissey against the NME and its editor Conor McNicholas.

In a statement, the singer's lawyers said: "The NME had until 1pm today to print a suitable apology to Morrissey. Their only response to this deadline was to say that they 'do not have time to respond to the allegations.'"
    ---
    Keith Harris sends the link:

Morrissey insists on NME apology - BBC News

Excerpt:

...His lawyers said they would begin legal proceedings for defamation if the NME had not issued a retraction by 1300GMT.

The deadline passed without an apology from the publication.

Earlier, the NME released a statement which read: "We can confirm that Morrissey's legal representatives have been in contact with NME and pending the outcome of these discussions we won't be commenting any further."

Tim Jonze, the freelance journalist who interviewed Morrissey, told the BBC that he didn't approve of the singer's comments and had found them "offensive".

He said he had asked for his name to be removed from the article because it had been rewritten.

"I didn't want my name on something I hadn't written, even if some of it might have been similar to what I wrote originally," he said.