Page 1948 of 2508 FirstFirst ... 19431944194519461947194819491950195119521953 ... LastLast
Results 58,411 to 58,440 of 75230

Thread: Upcoming Shows

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Re: Upcoming Shows

Tool is not and has never been nu metal, you fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

At least in my mind, Nu-Metal is defined by dark, dirgey riffs, largely written in drop d, with introspective or darkly sarcastic lyrics. Sure, Tool could be called "alternative metal" but they were one of the forefathers of the Nu-Metal genre. Same with Rage. Just because the other bands that came after them made it suck doesn't mean that the classification isn't proper.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

And I really hope you're going to Fiona at the Palladium so you can give us a review.

Tool is prog metal dude. And yes, I am, and yes, I will.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Not all Nu-Metal sucked. Deftones, Tool, early Korn were all great. Hell, the first Chevelle album isn't bad (and it was produced by Albini) and I'd argue that, while overbearingly dark and self-important, some Staind is even decent.
    this. so tired of people just clumping all those names into one big suck cause of where they are now.
    At least in my mind, Nu-Metal is defined by dark, dirgey riffs, largely written in drop d, with introspective or darkly sarcastic lyrics. Sure, Tool could be called "alternative metal" but they were one of the forefathers of the Nu-Metal genre. Same with Rage. Just because the other bands that came after them made it suck doesn't mean that the classification isn't proper.
    that.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Tool is not and has never been nu metal, you fuck.
    Yeah, TOOL should ABSOLUTLEY not be in that category.

You guys would really rather lump Tool in with Dream Theater than Korn? At least Korn doesn't try to suck. It just comes naturally at this point.

To me, Prog is defined by bizarre song structures, instrumental wankery (not always in the pejorative) and clean, bright tones. Other than somewhat complex structures, that doesn't define Tool to me at all.
    Last edited by bmack86; 07-28-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Well anyways just to report on ticket buying experience at Palladium box office today, I had gone to buy tickets for A$AP and Bassnectar. They had the A$AP no problem, but the guy said Bassnectar wasn't on sale ... *very confused* ... so I said well I thought any ticket available online on livenation for palladium, wiltern, avalon could be bought here?

Well...... apparently since they had more shows than usual on sale yesterday, the guy was nice enough to explain to me that they have to make a "J" type code for tickets to be sold at the box office with no service fees. And from what he let on theres only one girl that does this, and I guess she hadn't gotten to making Bassnectar a "J" type ticket. So he would have been able to sell me the ticket for full price that I would have paid online, which wouldn't have done anything for me anyways.

This kind of reinforces the point I was trying to make a couple days ago about buying at the box office there, and risking the show selling out already the day before, just in a seperate issue. If it is a show that has a high chance of selling out, or just something you really really can't miss go ahead and just buy in the regular on sale on Friday if you have the means, and take advantage of their 3 day return policy. Cause I learned today not only can it sell out before, but I guess its possible that they can't get to making the code on time either for god knows what reason.. you would think they have a whole week to do it from the time the on sale gets announced but oh well. Its not like they care I drove all the way from orange county haha.

end rant.

Faith No More is the gay dad of nu-metal -- Rage Against the Machine, Tool and Deftones transcended; contemporary/alternative metal.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    Yeah, TOOL should ABSOLUTLEY not be in that category.
    FUCK YOU MUSE BOY

I definitely understand the animosity, since Nu-Metal is normally used as a negative term, but if it is intended to define a type of style rather than refer to crappy music in an insulting way, then I think it's fitting for FnM, Rage, Tool, etc. But then again, it's problematic because I could easily see Alice in Chains fitting into that category based on my qualifications as well, but they are one of the few bands that I truly think of as Grunge.

So basically, fuck genre. Deftones is just an awesome band, especially live.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    FUCK YOU MUSE BOY
    you mad?

Did it wrong.

Had a great time at the free Egyptian Lover/Arabian Prince concert in MacArthur Park tonight. And Dam Funk was the special guest opener. It was quite a funky evening.

Dirty Projectors were spot on tonight. It was my first time hearing all of the new songs, and they were good. I swear the first few minutes of Useful Chamber ione of my favorite bits of music ever. Was nice hanging out with boardies as well!

Dirty Projectors were really good tonight. The sequencing of the setlist was a bit of a head scratcher at first...I mean, I don't care how good or well-received your new album is, it is always a no no to start off a show with 5 new songs in a row (and especially opening with the slowest song on the new album?).

But after that the show picked up very quickly. The highlights were definitely what was no less than an apocalyptic version of "Useful Chamber", jaw-dropping and much more intense than it was on both the album and other times I'd seen it live, and "Beautiful Mother" from the Mount Wittenberg Orca EP. Completely mesmerizing. Olga fits in really well with the girls, and songs like that are borderline masturbatory they're so good.

Great meeting and hanging out with IceyHotShot! Cool kid, that one.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I haven't got chills like I did from Beautiful Mother in quite a while. Unto Caesar was a rather unexpected highlight as well, missing banter aside.

Really fun night, got a setlist and enjoyed meeting TallGuy, Icey, NMH, and Cutter!

EDIT: Only downside was watching the guy in front of me at merch get the last tour-only 7"..
    Last edited by knytt; 07-29-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Faith No More is the gay dad of nu-metal -- Rage Against the Machine, Tool and Deftones transcended; contemporary/alternative metal.
    Your so doing it wrong.

The dirty projector 7" was cool but gimmy for $15 for one song.Dirty Projectors were really good I just didnt know their material that well besides their singles.Would definetly see them again.
    Last edited by getbetter; 07-29-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    Translation

Ty Segall / Cold Beat/WAND @ GAMH 01/29/15
    Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15

Last.fm

Really loved Dirty Projectors last night!!! Such an awesome live band. The crowd was eating it up and the band was enjoying everyone. The girl singers were all very amazing, and really cute aswell. Thought Wye Oak was a good opener and they faired better in a room vs outdoors.

Totally agree on Wye Oak, I saw them at the Greek opening for the Decemberists and was fairly bored but loved their set last night. New songs sounded great as well.

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

Quote Originally Posted by knytt View Post
    Totally agree on Wye Oak, I saw them at the Greek opening for the Decemberists and was fairly bored but loved their set last night. New songs sounded great as well.
    Yeah I saw them there also! Pretty good, just alot better last night.

Something to be on the look out for...

Sonar Festival is doing a branded tour through the US in October and November... Apparently going to hit the Shrine... From what I've seen so far there should be some solid EDM names on the lineup...

You guys would really rather lump Tool in with Dream Theater than Korn? At least Korn doesn't try to suck. It just comes naturally at this point.

To me, Prog is defined by bizarre song structures, instrumental wankery (not always in the pejorative) and clean, bright tones. Other than somewhat complex structures, that doesn't define Tool to me at all.
    Tool has more in common with Dream Theater than Korn, yes. That doesn't necessarily mean Tool sucks the way Dream Theater does.

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    Something to be on the look out for...

Sonar Festival is doing a branded tour through the US in October and November... Apparently going to hit the Shrine... From what I've seen so far there should be some solid EDM names on the lineup...
    Interesting

As a fairly avid nu-metal fan in my formative music years (I still frequent ThePRP.com) Tool has next-to-nothing to do with that genre.

I've actually been curious to know who coined the term 'nu-metal' in the first place. Wikipedia doesn't shed much light. I'd assume it was a pejorative term from a journalist or critic.

ask Rolling Stone

Seriously doesn't anyone have a damn extra ticket to Sigur Ros at the cemetery?? Supre help me out, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Nobody has one cause I think everyone is going to go even if theyre sick and dying.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    theyre sick and dying.
    You'll be in the right place.

Exactly.