Page 2062 of 2469 FirstFirst ... 20572058205920602061206220632064206520662067 ... LastLast
Results 61,831 to 61,860 of 74044

Thread: Upcoming Shows

VigoTheCarpathian

Default Re: Upcoming Shows

165 bucks! Holy moly. I'm happy I didn't try now. Good to hear it was a good show for whoever saw it. I just got back from seeing Tom Arnold at the Brea Improve. Surprisingly very funny.

I really hope they dont put YYY's on the main stage again but it's likely I suppose.

Anyone going to Yo La Tengo at Amoeba? That one is free.

YYY! Fuck yeah. Best first show of 2013 ever.

Edit: Oh and it was really great meeting yeahfontaine and her husband! You guys are studs for coming all the way down for the show.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 01-12-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

So you guys should actually tell us something about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs set.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The yeah yeah yeahs played three new songs;One was called Mosquito with a chorus about sucking blood ?, one really slow song with low vocals , and another high energy song that. I missed most of the third and last song of the encore because I had went to get a jacket during the encore because it was cold outside..three layers
    Last edited by getbetter; 01-12-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I love you Zach. The dude who doesn't even make it inside has the most info.

The yeah yeah yeahs played three new songs;One was called Mosquito with a chorus about sucking blood ?, one really slow song with low vocals , and another high energy song that. I missed most of the third and last song of the encore because I had went to get a jacket during the encore because it was cold outside..three layers
    Did you seriously stay outside for over an hour?! You're a real trooper!

Built to Spill 2013 Tour Dates

Vocalist/guitarist Doug Martsch, and guitarists Brett Netson and Jim Roth, will be joined on the road by new band members Steve Gere (drums) and Jason Albertini (bass) who replace departing drummer Scott Plouf and bassist Brett Nelson.The shift in line up is completely amicable. Scott and Brett remain our dear friends and we wish them well on their future ventures.
    Jan 31 Portland, OR Doug Fir Lounge
    Feb 1 Portland, OR Doug Fir Lounge
    Feb 2 Bellingham, WA Wild Buffalo
    Feb 5 Victoria, BC Sugar Nightclub
    Feb 6 Vancouver, BC Rickshaw Theatre
    Feb 8 Pullman, WA Bell Tower
    Feb 9 Spokane, WA Bing Crosby Theater
    Feb 10 La Grande, OR Big Green Barn
    Feb 11 Boise, ID Neurolux
    Feb 12 Boise, ID The Crux

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Yeah Yeah Yeah's were fantastic last night! First time seeing them outside of Coachella, so it was quite a contrast for me. But they were energetic and seemed ecstatic to be on stage again. As mentioned, they played three new songs: Mosquito (which opened the show), Hex, and the Train Song (which was the slow song mentioned in a post above). Unlike ameeps, I thought the Train Song was fantastic. Slow build to a nice burn. It started off sounding disjointed but it all made sense once it came together. It was my favorite of the three new songs. The other two songs were pretty good, but couldn't compare to some of their older catalog. The setlist as a whole was great! I was expecting more newer songs, so I was pleasantly surprised. The setlist was (supposedly):

Main Set: Mosquito, Phenomena, Hex, Heads Will Roll, Pin, Down Boy, Train Song, Skeletons, Soft Shock, Gold Lion, Zero, Cheated Hearts
    Encore: Maps, Tick
    Last edited by luckyface; 01-12-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    YYY! Fuck yeah. Best first show of 2013 ever.
    Wouldn't this be your only "first show of 2013"?
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Yeah Yeah Yeah's were fantastic last night! First time seeing them outside of Coachella, so it was quite a contrast for me. But they were energetic and seemed ecstatic to be on stage again. As mentioned, they played three new songs: Mosquito (which opened the show), Hex, and the Train Song (which was the slow song mentioned in a post above). Unlike ameeps, I thought the Train Song was fantastic. Slow build to a nice burn. It started off sounding disjointed but it all made sense once it came together. It was my favorite of the three new songs. The other two songs were pretty good, but couldn't compare to some of their older catalog. The setlist as a whole was great! I was expecting more newer songs, so I was pleasantly surprised. The setlist was (supposedly):

Main Set: Mosquito, Phenomena, Hex, Heads Will Roll, Pin, Down Boy, Train Song, Skeletons, Soft Shock, Gold Lion, Zero, Cheated Hearts
    Encore: Maps, Tick
    Ya, their older catalogue is so great that I guess anything not as good just sounds disappointing.

Of the new songs, I didn't like mosquito at all. After giving it another listen I actually really like Train Song. Here's videos of mosquito and train.

Mosquito:

Train Song:

Setlist: (some random on instagram, one of the few lucky people to get a setlist before the stage crew was told to stop giving them out)

Last edited by ameeps; 01-12-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Well as much as i'm sure it was fun, I feel like I didn't miss a ton. They mostly ignore the first EP and first album at this point, and that's the stuff I love the most.

Well as much as i'm sure it was fun, I feel like I didn't miss a ton. They mostly ignore the first EP and first album at this point, and that's the stuff I love the most.
    Yeah x 3

Do y'all think I can find parking on La Cienega near the Largo on Wed night shortly after 6? I work 1.5 mi away so I might just take a bus if it's going to be bad (I'd walk but I'm just coming off a cold). That area is 2 hour parking until 8 pm btw. Thanks

Look around the side streets. You can usually find unrestricted parking on the east/west streets that run near Largo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Wouldn't this be your only "first show of 2013"?
    That was the "joke".

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

That's the thing, though. The band is about to put out their 4th album, so it's kind of hard to hold it against them when they don't play tons of first album stuff. I mean, no one blames Arcade Fire for not playing Headlights Look Like Diamonds these days, as cool as that would be.

I think most everyone who went to this show knew going into that it was a rare opportunity to see the band in a small club setting as opposed to the Greek or Gibson or wherever they play when they come to town next, and that the rest was secondary. Maybe next time I see them in the midst of a proper tour I'll have more to say about the song selection, but last night was all about the setting/experience and it was fucking awesome.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Definitely true, to an extent, but even with the last tour they were pulling out songs like Art Star, Pin and Miles Away. I get doing Maps, as they pretty much have to, but damn if I wouldn't want to hear Man or Date with the Night or Tick (you lucky dogs) again.

Which, yeah, goes to the complaint that I prefer older Yeah Yeah Yeahs material and would prefer to see them be that band again.

But the YYYs stuff they don't play anymore is better than Headlights Look Like Diamonds.

Re: Headlights Look Like Diamonds. Nobody expects them to play a song like that every night, or even often, but they could always have a rotating slot for old fan favorites. That's the one Arcade Fire song I wanted to see live but never did.

YYYs did a pretty good job of it in 2009, so maybe they will this time around, too. Would love to hear "Our Time" again. Seeing "Art Star" at Glasto was a nice treat.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I don't really think it's a fair complaint to say criticize the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for not playing older material. They did Pin and Tick, and Down Boy's a bit of a rarity too. The setlist for the show right before this one had Art Star, Black Tongue and Tick as well. Obviously they're not going to focus on older material anymore, but they still play a fair amount of it and seem to switch it up a bit when they do go out on actual tours.

Also, the show kicked ass. It was nice talking to you again after the set, too, Tallguy, even if I was drunk and probably forgot to introduce myself. Can't wait to see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by cormaic View Post
    Also, the show kicked ass. It was nice talking to you again after the set, too, Tallguy, even if I was drunk and probably forgot to introduce myself. Can't wait to see them again.
    Haha, nah you totally introduced yourself! Good shit.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

the criticism isn't that they don't play the first ep & album any more. of course they don't, nobody really expects them to. the criticism is that nothing they have done since has been even a fraction of the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    the criticism isn't that they don't play the first ep & album any more. of course they don't, nobody really expects them to. the criticism is that nothing they have done since has been even a fraction of the quality.
    Well, then it's all moot then, isn't it? Not even worth bringing up, especially when several people are fired up after a show like that.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    1/15: Free Hennessy & Nas. Perfect combo

http://www.facebook.com/Hennessy
    why do you insist on posting every fucking NYC show? you're the only fucker that gives a damn about who is playing in NY.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Just gotta learn to live with it, guys.

He gets high off it but he should learn from sonofhal what it take to have manners. London's music scene> NYC music scene.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

London's music scene> NYC music scene.
    Agreed. Definitely want to see some shows at Cafe Oto sometime.

London's music scene> NYC music scene.
    Hardly.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm not sure if this has already been dealt with, but I received an email confirming me as one of the first 100 people purchasing a Tycho ticket for the show at Troubadour 1/13 who would receive a free poster. It said to bring ID and a copy of the email in order to obtain the free poster. Hope you guys got this email as well !

Keane was pretty great.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.