Page 1914 of 2456 FirstFirst ... 19091910191119121913191419151916191719181919 ... LastLast
Results 57,391 to 57,420 of 73665

Thread: Upcoming Shows

Default Re: Upcoming Shows

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Wow, Beach House just sold out the Wiltern and there's now a second date!
    Wow! Good for them.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wow! Good for them.
    Yeah I'm stoked they are selling that place out. I'm just really excited for the el rey show.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    hmm late July? Tyler and Earl have a show in NYC on July 26th so I'm guessing it will be a few days after that.
    How on earth is Raekwon opening for them....so sad

"A Night of Real Hip Hop" my ass! http://bestbuytheater.com/eventdetail.php?id=36687

ps Frank Ocean is playing @ Terminal 5 the same night couple blocks uptown too...

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Wow, Beach House just sold out the Wiltern and there's now a second date!
    they sold out HOB San Diego almost instantly. surprised it took this long to sell out the Wiltern.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    they sold out HOB San Diego almost instantly. surprised it took this long to sell out the Wiltern.
    Oh no, it just went onsale today. And it was pretty instant.

Digital Mystikz @ Dimmak Studios July 15 http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?375188

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    pretty sure I looked into buying those tickets like a week or two after on sale and they were still available.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Those fucking asshats have a tv show?
    yes and the tv show is entertaining for those in my demographic, their 15 minutes might be just beginning. Return to Coachella this year?

So Japandroids were awesome last night when they were actually playing music. The new songs sounded great, they rock super hard, they were loud as fuck, etc. For some reason though, they felt the need to tune and chat between almost every song, effectively killing any momentum/great rock 'n' roll moments they built up during the time they were playing.

While I love normal, nice people being in rock bands, I started to get annoyed with how earnest and...un-rock star they were being. Act like you own the place when you are on stage. Be sincere, be heartfelt. But don't kill the momentum of your set. Back up your huge tunes and huge sound. And at the very least, play 3-4 songs in a row before tuning again. Please.

I love the new album and I love this band. I just hope they continue to grow as performers the next time they come around.

That does not sound like the set I saw tonight at all. They started with a very earnest introduction, as the amp hummed and David drummed Brian introduced both of them and they gunned into The Boys Are Leaving Town. After that, Brian asked people if they were warmed up and the jumped into new material. There weren't frequent tuning breaks, they spoke every 4-5 songs or so, and they sounded absolutely incredible. They also said they had not headlined a show in LA in at least two years. The crowd was absolutely batshit, and the band really fed off that. They closed with their cover of For the Love of Ivy, preceded by a dedication to all of LA for providing them with Jeffrey Lee Pierce. It was a spectacular show, and they completely sold me.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

JAMC killed it as always! They're kind of my "go to" band when I just want to hear some good pop songs live. Huge smattering of Psychocandy was a plus. They closed with probably my favorite JAMC tune, Never Understand, although opening with Snakedriver and Some Candy Talking were great as well.

Getbetter, Drinkey, NeutralMilkHotel great meeting you guys at last! I'm down for another visit to the Park any time you guys are.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Japandroids killed me tonight, the crowd was so much fun. Damn. And bmack I don't mean to be a creep, but I think I stood next to you at one point, were you in a white t-shirt?

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Getbetter, Drinkey, NeutralMilkHotel great meeting you guys at last! I'm down for another visit to the Park any time you guys are.
    Gahh even though I didn't go, I should have had you guys over for a drink after since it was down in my neck of the woods. Next time, Gadget, next time...
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

JAMC write-ups... GO.

That does not sound like the set I saw tonight at all. They started with a very earnest introduction, as the amp hummed and David drummed Brian introduced both of them and they gunned into The Boys Are Leaving Town. After that, Brian asked people if they were warmed up and the jumped into new material. There weren't frequent tuning breaks, they spoke every 4-5 songs or so, and they sounded absolutely incredible. They also said they had not headlined a show in LA in at least two years. The crowd was absolutely batshit, and the band really fed off that. They closed with their cover of For the Love of Ivy, preceded by a dedication to all of LA for providing them with Jeffrey Lee Pierce. It was a spectacular show, and they completely sold me.
    That is good to hear. They were tuning between literally EVERY SONG in SF. There were maybe only two stretches where they played two songs in a row. Again, they are totally awesome when they are playing. It is the between-song stuff that was frustrating.

Forgot to mention that they seem to be filming everything for a documentary/concert film type of thing.

The Cribs were on top of their game last night. They blasted through a good number of tunes in just over an hour. They played a good selection from their new album, but played at least one tune from the previous ones.

It was also my second time seeing The Lovely Bad Things and they were far more amazing than I remember them being. They're only going to get better, so I can't wait to see them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Japandroids were an absolute blast last night...but they did stop between each song to tune/chat (the exception being the third- and second-to last songs, which they played back-to-back). I hadn't listened to Post-Nothing in a long time, so hearing those songs played in the same set as the Celebration Rock material really made me realize what a great leap forward this album is for their in terms of the songwriting. They both seemed genuinely excited to be playing a headlining set, and I really think that enthusiasm rubbed off on the crowd because it was getting pretty crazy in the front. Also, it was nice (briefly) meeting you last night bmack - hopefully next time we'll have a bit more time to chat.

Anyone else going to How to Dress Well at the Echo tonight?
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

No one else here went to Here We Go Magic at the Echo?
    I sure did. Their new tracks sounded great. I'll see them anytime they come around.

Gahh even though I didn't go, I should have had you guys over for a drink after since it was down in my neck of the woods. Next time, Gadget, next time...
    I'd be down! Still felt a little under the weather last night, to be honest. But normally on Friday? You bet!

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    JAMC write-ups... GO.
    I just did one earlier on the last page... Here's some more!

Although I thought JAMC were great, I don't think Hollywood Park was suiting them well as a venue. Jim, who addressed the audience WAY more than I've ever heard him at past JAMC shows, remarked at one point "Does anyone here know our songs?" So many talkers. It was tough to find a spot to escape the constant chatter. Jim also got a bit frustrated and told the folks in front to "Stop making requests", and offered for someone in the audience to come up and sing if they wanted to hear a certain tune.

I haven't seen the band in recent years but they've definitely changed some. Jim used to go entire shows without uttering so much as a word to the crowd. And it was strange to see them doing encores now. When they came back out, Will (who I have never heard speak at a show!) took the mic and said "Jim's told me backstage that I played like shit tonight". To which Jim responded "Well... it's true!"

I really thought despite some issues, they nailed it in typical JAMC fashion. They may have lost some of the old fire, but the songs hold up great after all this time and Will's distortion and thumping single note melodies on the guitar are still inspiring. Besides the songs mentioned in my first post, Happy When It Rains also stood out. I'll see if I can dig up the set list. Got about an 80 minute show, I think.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 06-17-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by knytt View Post
    Japandroids killed me tonight, the crowd was so much fun. Damn. And bmack I don't mean to be a creep, but I think I stood next to you at one point, were you in a white t-shirt?
    Ha, no creep. But I was in a yellow shirt, full beard, so probably not me.

If you tell me in advance I'll bring that Pearl Jam beer I have been saving to drink with you.

JAMC were very loud it seemed.I thought Reverence the best song of set for me and I was happy that they did taste like honey without a girl singer.Thinking back it was a pretty good show just a lot of the crowd seem not to know a lot of their song besides a couple.They didn't even go crazy for Head on.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Anyone going to (or at) How To Dress Well tonight?
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

nosurprises is there.

Wish I knew what he/she looked like. There are under 30 people here.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I'm tempted to roll to that, but I think I'm gonna see Mike Watt and the Missingmen at the Redwood Lounge tonight.

There were honestly more people at each of the Rene Hell shows we've seen together. For a BNM'd artist no less.

Wait, is he a disaster live?

I was a really big fan of his set, but it's a weird thing. When I saw him there, it was just him and a backing track, and he was singing alone on stage. For the first song or two I felt like it was pretty lame and karaoke-like, but then his voice and earnestness started getting to me. I thought he carried the show through really well.

I just got back from Mike Watt and the Missingmen doing Watt's third opera at the Redwood Grill. First off, the Grill. It's a little bar in downtown LA that frequently has old punk dudes playing. 8 dollar cover, the sound was great, and they had good drink. I will be back.

Watt's third opera is the best thing he's done at least since Ball Hog or Tugboat? if not fIREHOSE. The band he has with him is tighter than fIREHOSE ever hoped to be, and they blast through the songs with a Minutemen-like fury and precision. They played the whole new album, and it sounded phenomenal. I hadn't heard it before tonight, but Watt has a collection of songs here to rival anything he's done before. He said they'll be playing again next month on the 21st. If you like the Minutemen or SST or punk rock in general, you should make it a priority to go. Spectacular shit here.

I was a really big fan of his set, but it's a weird thing. When I saw him there, it was just him and a backing track, and he was singing alone on stage. For the first song or two I felt like it was pretty lame and karaoke-like, but then his voice and earnestness started getting to me. I thought he carried the show through really well.
    He had a guy on keys and another on violin/guitar, but my reaction matched yours. At first it just didn't come off, but as he got deeper into the set the range of his vocals became further impressive, and his personality was easy to root for. Basically, anyone who double-fists microphones gets my vote. Plus there were a couple of LOUD tracks from his new album - should be a banger. I only recognized three from "Love Remains" - both Suicide Dreams and Ready for the World, which is the one I was most hoping to hear.