Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oasis : Where did it all go wrong ?

Default Oasis : Where did it all go wrong ?

I'm stumped. I really don't know how a band that could turn out a pair of albums like Definite Maybe & Morning Glory AND a dozen or more album worthy b-sides can end up like they have.

Was it drugs? booze? groupies? ego?

Listening to Acquiesce makes me happy & sad at the same time. Happy as it's a great track; sad as they'll nevre make something like that again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Default Re: Oasis : Where did it all go wrong ?

From the start, they were never good.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Be Here Now was a bloated cokefest. The songs would have been great if they were about 4 minutes shorter. As Noel said in an interview "We were the biggest band in the world. No one was going to tell me no. I didn't think the songs were long enough."

SOTSOG had some good tunes, but is their weakest album.

Heathen Chemistry was a good album with good songs.

Don't Believe The Truth was a great album.

Two classic albums, one great album, two good albums, one mediocre album. It's not like Neil Young making "Trans" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    It's not like Neil Young making "Trans" or something.
    Thats a good album...well i like it anyway...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

I think the problem is simply that they set the bar so high with their first two albums. The tendency is to compare everything they do with Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory, but really, how many bands have ever maintained that level of quality? A handful, but it's not common.

Taking each album on its own merits, I actually think the only outright failure in their catalog is Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. Be Here Now is definitely bloated, but there's some good stuff on it, and I'd rank Heathen Chemistry right beyond Morning Glory. I've never quite gotten into Don't Believe the Truth, but I blame myself for starting to buy way too much music a couple years ago.

Long story short: their career seems to be following the trajectory of most bands. That might be disappointing, but it's not a catastrophe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    Thats a good album...well i like it anyway...
    funny that would come up ... the opening band here in denver was a band called transam .... and they opened up with a song that the singer used a vocorder sp .... i kind of thought it was going to be like the neil stuff, but they took a right hand turn and changed ... canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

i like giving shit to daft punk fans by saying that they owe their career to that album...
    Last edited by Mr.Nipples; 11-24-2007 at 10:27 AM. Reason: hungover=crappy grammar
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    agreed
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I think the problem is simply that they set the bar so high with their first two albums. The tendency is to compare everything they do with Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory, but really, how many bands have ever maintained that level of quality? A handful, but it's not common.

Taking each album on its own merits, I actually think the only outright failure in their catalog is Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. Be Here Now is definitely bloated, but there's some good stuff on it, and I'd rank Heathen Chemistry right beyond Morning Glory. I've never quite gotten into Don't Believe the Truth, but I blame myself for starting to buy way too much music a couple years ago.

Long story short: their career seems to be following the trajectory of most bands. That might be disappointing, but it's not a catastrophe.
    Good summary. I would personally refrain from calling SOTSOG a failure because "Fucking In The Bushes", "Go Let It Out", "Who Feels Love", "Gas Panic!" and "Sunday Morning Call" are all great tunes. But I hear what you're saying.

I award you zero points and I doubt the Russians will be sympathetic either.
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

I always kinda figured their demise was mainly due to their inability to play well with others.

Translation-they're assholes.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Andrew, you fail hard for knocking Trans. It's a damn fine album. Damn fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post

Was it drugs? booze? groupies? ego?
    yes......
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xXThirdManXx View Post
    Oasis were a fad. Beatles ripoffs, imho.
    I think Bjork said it best when she said she didn't understand Oasis, because why would someone want to copy the Beatles and be perfectly fine with it.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I always thought Oasis copied the Beatles, but made it better.

and besides, they didn't copy just the Beatles. there's a whole range of bands they rip off.

Made it better? Ahaha. Now that's just baiting.

funny that would come up ... the opening band here in denver was a band called transam .... and they opened up with a song that the singer used a vocorder sp .... i kind of thought it was going to be like the neil stuff, but they took a right hand turn and changed ... canx**
    Who did they open for, Ron? I missed Trans Am this year. Hope they put on a good show for ya....
    Quote Originally Posted by **NaNcY** View Post
    Phoenix the band?

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

I could make the argument (and I will) that Oasis are not the only band with between 6-8 albums with 2 classics and the rest have great tracks but don't match those heights.

Radiohead for example...
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

Be Here Now was a bloated cokefest. The songs would have been great if they were about 4 minutes shorter. As Noel said in an interview "We were the biggest band in the world. No one was going to tell me no. I didn't think the songs were long enough."

Two classic albums, one great album, two good albums, one mediocre album. It's not like Neil Young making "Trans" or something.
    You hit the nail on the head.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by denies the day View Post
    Who did they open for, Ron? I missed Trans Am this year. Hope they put on a good show for ya....
    they opened for tool ... must be tough to open for a band like that ... canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Made it better? Ahaha. Now that's just baiting.
    seriously.

am I the only person that thinks Oasis is one of the most overrated bands of all time? between them and the Stones...

shut up
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

and throw in The Verve to that list

oasis is great. america just doesnt appreciate them as much. their last 2 albums have been their weakest. some think Standing is very weak but Liam really kills it on the album and although Heathen has some nice songs it lacks the Oasis 'tude that i personally love. their newest cd is one of my least fave except for Lyla and Importance of Being Idle..i wish they could get back to the early day stuff..

id love to see Oasis play Coach 08. their new cd is out in august..perhaps they could co-headline a day with someone like Beastie Boys or Killers or something..

heres to hoping we see as many as we can of these great UK bands:
    oasis, stone roses (or ian brown), pulp, blur, primal scream

"I hate the way you are so sarcastic, and yoouuu're not veerry bright!"

seriously though, the problem is they are still touring and all we can do is compare them to a point that will never happen again (the past). How would you feel if someone said "damn, you cant fuck nearly as hard as you did when you were 22, what happened?" it may be true, but pointing it out wont take the wrinkles out of your genitals.

1. liams voice has fallen apart. listening to early demos like "i will believe" and when he sang married with children on the definitely maybe tour, compared to the '05 tour shows just how far people can depreciate when they get old. Still has some swagger though, and you cant buy swagger.

2. noel has stated that they don't have diverse set lists because Liam wont learn more than a few new songs, but can still remember the standards. I saw them 3x on the '05 tour, and there was zero variation. They did play bring it on down, morning glory... but no others from the vault.

3. roberto73, bballarl, john peel is my co-pilot, all hit other equally valid points on the head....

I challenge you to come up with a band that has more than 20-30 classic songs. I think human beings are necessarily limited, and no matter what field, you can't get progressively greater through your whole life. artists, writers, whatever, they cant top their opus, they can only change and hope to be somewhere near the top in their new style. If radiohead tried to top the bends, how would they? they already tried to make a great guitar album, and simply had to move on to new and interesting things. Noel has already stated that he has nothing else to write about. he has written about being young (cigarettes and alcohol), written about being a rock star , and written about growing older in the 'burbs (part of the queue).

I don't think they have anything to apologize for... they may have released all their best work in a flurry, and could have stood to spread it out a little more, but they have a back catalog that can keep on the road for awhile, and give everyone a good time.

Coachella '08... please???? My first coachella journey was because of oasis, and I have been to all of them since '02 (except for '06)

Oasis at Coachella would rule. I missed 02, and when I saw them up here in SF the crowd wasn't 50,000 strong with everyone singing along. Noel had to carry the chorus of "Don't Look Back In Anger". I was pissed at the audience.

Also, in terms of the arrogance, Noel has clarified some of the brash statements he made in the past. He is still cocky (as is Liam), but rightfully so. Noel wrote at least 20 classic, brilliant songs. That is no easy feat. And I don't think he has ever claimed to have made the greatest, most innovative record ever. I don't think he has ever claimed to be trying to break the mold. They are a great rock n' roll band. Looking for more when they haven't even aspired to be more is foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    ............. Noel has already stated that he has nothing else to write about. he has written about being young (cigarettes and alcohol), written about being a rock star , and written about growing older in the 'burbs (part of the queue).
    I disagree.

U2 wrote Achtung Baby (their best album) 11yrs into their career when they were all multi-multi millionaires and when everyone was clamoring for Joshua Tree II.

Paul Weller, The Beastie Boys, REM, Pearl Jam to name a few all wrote and write compelling, to various degrees, music in their 2nd decade of existence.

One of the security questions to access my bank account is in reference to Oasis actually.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I was thinking that Oasis' scenario rings a bell, and the band that came to my mind immediately was the Chili Peppers. I definitely believe it's because people have wanted Blood Sugar Sex Magik part 2 to come out for over 15 years now, and though the Chilis still give snippets of funk and punk, it's just not the same creatively. This is especially given the fact that the group has to be carried by it's instrumental sections, and a sober John Frusciante is nowhere near as nuts as a drugged out John Frusciante. That being said, I feel Californication is a damned good record, By the Way is better than most people deem it, but Stadium Arcadium just... blends together really... It's depressing, and it shows in the utter resentment the band gets on this message board.

As for Oasis headlining in 08?... I honestly don't think they have the commanding star power that they used to possess or, as mentioned earlier, momentous/exhilarating/differentiating live set required of Coach headliners.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Trans was a great album.