Thread: A long time ago, i went to film school and made stupid movies (my 420th post)

Default A long time ago, i went to film school and made stupid movies (my 420th post)

In honor of my 420th post, allow me to direct you to a movie i made while i was at Cal Sate Long Beach in 1999. If you only get through the first 30 seconds, you should be aware of the obvious connection to the number touted post wise:

I Got Jesus in My Life

Please watch full screen if you can.

Default Re: A long time ago, i went to film school and made stupid movies (my 420th post)

damn, i put this in the wrong lounge...sorry music aficionados. This was meant for miscelleneous aficionados. damn 420.

(later)...Thanks for moving all awesome friend with psychic abilities.
    Last edited by ivankay; 11-23-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Default Re: A long time ago, i went to film school and made stupid movies (my 420th post)

thanks ivan i enjoyed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

Wow, funny overdubbed voices and all...

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Wow, funny overdubbed voices and all...
    In that part of the program, there was no sync sound allowed (that was for advanced classes). It was fun to show it to people at school and have some wonder how an intermediate film got recording equipment for the set. Good observing and listening Chris.
    Last edited by ivankay; 11-23-2007 at 08:53 PM.

that jesus is so androgynous and creepy

Quote Originally Posted by Benis23 View Post
    that jesus is so androgynous and creepy
    And he was the sound guy. When putting this together it was one of those "What do i have to work with here?" type things. It was great for me that Nick looked like he did. Make up wise we were going for the "prettier" Jesus that was closer to the non-Jewish Jesus that was all the rage (and still is with some) for a good chunk of the world before they started to embrace JC's origins (that happened, right?)

that cinematography is so grungy-90s-tastic! lolz.

and yeah, dubbing ahahaaaa.

from a screenwriter's perspective though...i found myself judging and looking for the "why" and the backstory and everything else.

did you film this on 16mm?

and usc would never let us have that last shot. no nononono.

The look could be (and some day might be) a whole lot better. It was shot on 16mm (910 feet), and it was the first time i ever did telecine without the rest of the class. When it came down to the question of a master, i went cheap (3/4) instead of smart (at the time dbc.) Remember kids, don't be cheap on yourself, it ends up costing you more in the long run. i work at a post house and have seen the film thrown up in a nice HD scenerio...i loved how cool it could look. When there's time...(tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow...echo out)

As far as the dubbing goes, i just wanted to do a little more than the visual story with music that was the majority of intermediate projects. Nick (Jesus) wanted to be a sound guy, so we added that element to the film. We did most of the recording in his bedroom. One bonus was he played guitar. When i needed a "Christian song", we wrote it on the spot (sorry about my singing.)

Nothing much to the writing. i had a film scripted and storyboarded, but was going to lose one of the main actors i wrote it for (the stoner) because he couldn't give me the time (his work schedule.) So the night before scripts were due, i came up with "...Jesus.." to accomodate the parameters of one day to shoot with him in his apartment. During that night of trying to come up with an idea that would work, the Trinity Broadcasting Network was part of 3 AM channel flipping and the question "What if Jesus really did come over?" caused the scribbling to begin in earnest.

my ex was in USC film school. So for a couple of years i would help out on a variety of films, sneak into screenings, and rarely sit in on classes. USC has the best when it comes to equipment (damn, the Zemekis studio alone), but i did notice the more "adventerous" (ie sick) films, while some got made, didn't put you in high standings to get to make the few final films that get made (reserved for the conservative/commercial types.) i understand that though. At CSULB (at the time, not sure what they do now) we were paying for it (and own it, unlike SC) and had final say. i did get regular faculty critiques that tried to steer things in a different direction, but "funny" is what mattered most to me.
    Last edited by ivankay; 11-24-2007 at 08:36 PM.