Thread: On-Site vs. Off-Site Camping

Default On-Site vs. Off-Site Camping

I have been going to festivals for about 5 years or so now, but this will be my first Coachella. The set-up is a bit different than what I am used to. With events like Bonnaroo, you can bring everything in you need (including alcohol and other similiar supplies) and camping is right at the venue. While Coachella offers camping right near the venue, it appears restrictions on what you can and can't bring in make it a little unappealing.

What I would like to know is if its worth more to be closer (walking distance) to the venue (onsite camping) and give up some of the freedoms that off-site campgrounds offer? Or would it be more fun to camp off-site and drive in each day and fight the parking lines, etc...

Also, with Lake Cahuilla being just about all booked up, where else would people recommend staying off-site for someone who is looking to have a good time while at their campsite? Does anyone know anything about Idyllwild Park and the camping there?

Cheers ... see you in Indio

Default Re: On-Site vs. Off-Site Camping

yeah from reading the FAQ it sounds as though they will be tight with their security.

even with driving your car off grounds to go get more food sounded tight, even though I doubt it would be as bad as they made it sound.
    me > u

Ok, so last year my friends and I camped right accross from the Empire polo field on private property for 15 bucks a night! The campsite is right across from the artist entrance. It was great! This private property camping area was ill dope! No joke! They even had a DJ spinning after the show on Saturday night............ But the best part? NO RULES everything was allowed, I was up until like 5:00am that Saturday partying around the campfire with some peeps we met there. Everyone was mad chill. And the camp host Maryann was soooooo nice to us, they even set up their RV so the girls could have hot indoor showers! Needless to say I'm re-booking the site again this year, spaces fill up fast so if ur interested hit me up.

Jaguaresgirl-

How did you find this place?

Did you set it up beforehand?

ey yo im might be interested in that dope campin spot, could ya give me some more info on how to get in, an the name of it an all that? that'd be right on thanks im a coachella virgin, its time to lose the v-card

Smile Re: On-Site vs. Off-Site Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguaresgirl View Post
    Ok, so last year my friends and I camped right accross from the Empire polo field on private property for 15 bucks a night! The campsite is right across from the artist entrance. It was great! This private property camping area was ill dope! No joke! They even had a DJ spinning after the show on Saturday night............ But the best part? NO RULES everything was allowed, I was up until like 5:00am that Saturday partying around the campfire with some peeps we met there. Everyone was mad chill. And the camp host Maryann was soooooo nice to us, they even set up their RV so the girls could have hot indoor showers! Needless to say I'm re-booking the site again this year, spaces fill up fast so if ur interested hit me up.
    i'm interested to! please let us know the # to call or whatever soon! thanks bunches!

-Alanna

Yeah whats the info for that site Jaguaresgirl?? Thanks!

im very keen to find out this info

I like camping in coachella a lot. It adds to the experience just being around everyone who is sharing the same experiences as you. And as far as security goes, its pretty easy to sneack whatever you need in...

Quote Originally Posted by rsviking39 View Post
    I have been going to festivals for about 5 years or so now, but this will be my first Coachella. The set-up is a bit different than what I am used to. With events like Bonnaroo, you can bring everything in you need (including alcohol and other similiar supplies) and camping is right at the venue. While Coachella offers camping right near the venue, it appears restrictions on what you can and can't bring in make it a little unappealing.
    1. the coachella site is REALLY close to the festival exit. Even drunks can make it.
    2. save money by buying plenty of non perishable food items beforehand (at wal-mart/trader joes at home, or at Ralphs/Vons in Indio).
    3. bring at least 2 cases of bottled water, and at least a few full gallons.
    4. Non-perishable mixers and beverages like cranberry juice and cans of soda.
    5. Plan as much as possible, and don't try and drive out of the camping ground to do supply runs after 10am. (re-entry is a traffic nightmare) If you are well enough supplied not to leave the grounds for three days, you are a coachella champ.
    6. I remember ice being available at the campgound, but I think they charge a $1 or 2 for the 7 pound bags (can anybody verify this?)
    7. Bring a cooler and party cups.
    8. Anybody who has camped @ Coachella before knows how to get necessary liquor in. Next year, you will have it figured out and be stoked to be camping @ Coachella 2008.
    9. the noise curfew is restrictive, but trust me, when its 100 degres in your tent @ 9am and you have a full day of partying ahead of you, you will be glad that you got some sleep between 3am and 8am.

it sells out for a reason ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

that sounds interesting. Where do you inquire about this?