Thread: Guide to renting a house/condo

Default Guide to renting a house/condo

Having done this three years in a row, and just having secured my '08 mansion, I'd like to impart the following:

• Be financially liquid

You will need to pony up a deposit for the vacation rental NOW. Be ready to be able to put down several hundred if not over a thousand dollars for the rental.

• Be prepared to talk to the homeowner/rental agency

You'll have to vouch for yourself and your guests. Be ready to tell them about yourself and how you're a responsible renter.

• Start looking now

The best places book up quickly. Type "vacation rentals indio [or any other desert city]" into a google search, and you'll find several rental sites. VRBO.com is one of my favorites. Send multiple inquiries. Often if you send out five inquiries, you'll only get three responses.

• Prepare to pay more

What may be advertised at $200 per night can easily be $500 for the Coachella weekend. Also, be sure to factor in the cleaning fee for the total rental price. If they don't advertise it, ask.

• Don't worry about your friends

If you rent it, they will come. If not them, someone else will gladly take their spots. Trust me on this.

• You'll be in a gated community

90% of rentals are in gated communities. This means you'll have to go through a gate guard. Sometimes this is easy for you and your friends, sometimes there can be complications. Try to carpool as much as possible, and don't count on being able to have 50 people over.

• Be considerate and easy on the utilities

Common sense. Don't leave the home trashed. Follow the directions they leave you. Don't run up the utility bill by cooling the home to 70 degrees while running the hot tub at 103 when you're out on the field all day. Don't take 20 showers per day. They'll will notice the spike, and you WILL lose at least some of your deposit. Same goes for additional cleaning fees. Most of the time you're not renting from a soulless corporation, but from someone who owns this as a second home.

Hope this helps...

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Re: Guide to renting a house/condo

Fuck all that noise. Are you kidding me? 1000 dollars down? What are you buying the fucking thing? I think I put that down on my home purchase. Scratch that, I put 500 down on my home purchase.

Camping=$40

Done.

I stayed at a house in a gated community less than a mile away this year. Between the two festivals it worked out as way less money than a hotel. There were 6 of us staying there but we let 2 more crash in the living room. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 flat screen tv's, a massage chair, stove, fridge, microwave, washer dryer, AIR CONDITIONING. The only thing missed was made service and jacuzzi (but had jacuzzi tub). And I remembered to remind everyone to bring towels/soap, etc.

It was very nice. I think the tips above are very good if you are already planning on hotel.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

what she said
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Off site camping ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

personally, I like staying at my own condo, or perhaps I've mentioned that on several other threads already.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

mmm, go you, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Banned

im spending on a hotel about 320 for a motel. just me and my wife. bottom line:

after the show= peace and quiet and sleep with a a/c=priceless!

The murder capital where we murder for capital

California kids while find any reason they can to luxuriate. Nice job.

I should add that my target is always three bedroom, three bath free standing home with a pull out couch, with private pool and hot tub and nice outdoor area. I go for luxury. It's my vacation. This tends to average out to $250 per person for the whole four night weekend. You could easily find a condo for much less.

I find it more cost effective than a hotel. I also haven't camped at a festival since 1996.
    Last edited by montague; 11-21-2007 at 09:25 AM.

I'm having issues letting go of the same hotel we say in every year for an upgrade to a house...contemplating both and how much my bitchy friends will bug the shit outa me...

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    California kids while find any reason they can to luxuriate. Nice job.
    LUXURIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by montague View Post
    I should add that my target is always three bedroom, three bath free standing home with a pull out couch, with private pool and hot tub and nice outdoor area. I go for luxury. It's my vacation. This tends to average out to $250 per person for the whole four night weekend. You could easily find a condo for much less.

I find it more cost effective than a hotel. I also haven't camped at a festival since 1996.
    $250 each for 6 people?

woooo Indian Palms!

I am staying in a house this year. It is cheaper than a hotel but more expensive than camping. Although it also seems to be a lot more work/planning than a hotel.

I was sort of assuming that most house rentals come with things like sheets and towels. But from Psychic Friend's post above it sounds like maybe I'm mistaken?

the beds had sheets and stuff. there was no soap in the bathroom. but it had TP. There was dish soap in the kitchen.

PF, have you ever camped onsite?

no but it looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the beds had sheets and stuff. there was no soap in the bathroom. but it had TP. There was dish soap in the kitchen.
    So while your hands may not be clean, at least your dishes are ; )

My first Coachella was this past one and we rented a condo. It's not a mansion but it served its purpose! It was a one bed/ 2 bath with pull out couch and inflatable beds just in case. Tons of pillows, blankets, huge beach towels that came in handy at Coachella. It even came stocked with extra food like popsicles, ramen, frozen pizza, coffee. TV/ DVD in living room and bedroom, and A/C! And the bed was VERY comfortable to crawl into at the end of a long day. It even had other things like suncreen, shaving cream, shampoo & conditioner. It even had toys just in case anyone staying had kids. We enjoyed our stay so much and we knew we were going to come back, so I let the owner know that we wanted to rent the place again. So I already gave him my deposit. I'm sure camping is fun... I'd do it if I was younger and just couldn't afford to do it any other way.
    MSTRKRFT @ Glasshouse Pomona 9/30
    MBV @SMCC 10/02
    LA Weekly Detour 10/04

M-I-M-I! Four capital letters...

i'm gonna miss lake cahuilla this year. but it looks like after 3 years of that we're upgrading to a house/condo. it's pricey, but hell, to be able to walk to the festival everyday and not sit in traffic for an hour at the end of the night is going to be amazing.
    05,06,07,08,09,10,11, 12 #1, 13 #1

can you recommend some good rental property sites?

We live at Indian Palms and it sounds to me like the residents are finally realizing one of the perks of having Coachella in their back yard.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce_Gracie View Post
    can you recommend some good rental property sites?
    http://www.vrbo.com

Brokendoll mentioned it already... but it really is awesome. That's where my friends and I got our rental for this year. It's got a pool, hot tub, three bedrooms...it looks so nice. I'm already really excited about it.