Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APHEX TWIN!!!!

Exclamation APHEX TWIN!!!!

errr yeah please get aphex twin because its been a while since hes played here in the states and id think he would rock the house...

Default Re: APHEX TWIN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robok View Post
    errr yeah please get aphex twin because its been a while since hes played here in the states and id think he would rock the house...
    i dont care how many aphex twin threads there are. I want it!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Who?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Who?

err are you for reals? LOL

Yes he is for real, I will educate the man. It seems possible with aphex actually performing at ATP next month, you never know. and since Portishead asked, it coudl work next eyar since Portishead seems liek a lock for 2008. It better be live though, it cant be a DJ set, that would suck.

Either DJ set or live, Richard won't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Yes he is for real, I will educate the man. It seems possible with aphex actually performing at ATP next month, you never know. and since Portishead asked, it coudl work next eyar since Portishead seems liek a lock for 2008. It better be live though, it cant be a DJ set, that would suck.
    I'm about ready to make one of those stupid 50 cent comments. I will stop posting on this message board if my festival does not beat yours. No...I take that back. I will stop talking to you!
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

[img]http://darkmonkey.org.uk/4/1/aphex_twin.jpg[img]
    Thanks for the laugh.

What the hell? What song is that supposed to be?

He's an undependable flake. Wouldn't it be terrible to see his name on the poster only to find out he drops out months later?

He played in Manchester last night, and should be playing in Minehead now.. He played from hip hop to acid going thru techno and jungle. Amazing.

But yeah, he is a flake pretty much, especially when playing outside Europe. I have the feeling that if MBV and Portishead play at Coachella, he could accept the offer, though.

Coachella Junkie

haha, its so funny. He'll say yes to a show, but then, if he doesnt feel like going... he wont. He just has that kind of power.

Or he can come but play in a bad mood and suck, yeah, like the asshole he is. Last night he was more interactive than usual with people, though. Maybe he is excited to tour again.

So sometimes he sucks live, other times he brings down the house, and other times he just doesnt bother showing up?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie

Yup. At least thats what happened at coachella in 2001. He was scheduled for a DJ set, but did not show up (no one knows why). Instead, he sent squarepusher (and I believe Plaid as well) as a replacement.

chances are, he didnt show up because he didnt feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    So sometimes he sucks live, other times he brings down the house, and other times he just doesnt bother showing up?
    Well, when I said he could suck I was talking about people who expect a killer idm/acid/drill and bass set when they see him, but sometimes he just will play more ambient stuff, or even industrial kind of heavy metal sounds. Or experimenting new things like when he used a sandpaper disc in one of his sets creating an incredible distortion all over the place. I mean, that thing was amazing, but the track itself was pretty boring.
    Last edited by orbit; 12-08-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    Yup. At least thats what happened at coachella in 2001. He was scheduled for a DJ set, but did not show up (no one knows why). Instead, he sent squarepusher (and I believe Plaid as well) as a replacement.

chances are, he didnt show up because he didnt feel like it.
    So... did he tell GV this well in advance? Or like, did they find out the day of soundcheck?

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    Well, when I said he could suck I was talking about people who expect a killer idm/acid/drill and bass set when they see him, but sometimes he just will play more ambient stuff, or even industrial kind of heavy metal sounds. Or experimenting new things like when he used a sandpaper disc in one of his sets creating an incredible distortion all over the place. I mean, that thing was amazing, but the track itself was pretty boring.
    Really? His live shows very that much? I only know a couple of his song, but I friend who is a HUGE Aphex Twin fan... I will see if I can steal a couple CDs from him.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie

if you can, pick up his CD "Selected Ambient Works Vol. 1". If you're into anything thats relaxing and soothing, as well as music that will take your mind on an adventure, you NEED that CD. Richard is a brilliant and psychotic producer; "Ambient Works Vol. 1" is pure brilliance.

Coachella Junkie

oh, and just to give you an idea of how crazy he is, this is how he made one of his songs

http://www.bastwood.com/aphex.php

"Some time ago, in the summer of 2001 if I recall correctly, I ran into an intriguing page at http://chaos.yerbox.org/face/ (Chaosmachine's more recent page can be found at blamcast.net). The original page, which sadly has since then disappered from the face of the earth, was all about this hidden "demon face" in one of Aphex Twin's tracks, #2 (the long formula) on "Windowlicker".

This face was supposed to be viewable with a spectrograph program, so I decided to try it myself. A spectrograph basically visualizes the sound spectrum.

First I needed to extract the track from the Windowlicker CD, which was easy with CDex. The extraction of the whole track was not really necessary because the "face" is situated at the very end of the track, starting from the 5:27 mark and lasting for about 10 seconds. There are other "audio images" on this particular track as well (and one at the end of the first track), but the face is certainly the most exciting of them all.

After I had the wav-file, I used a program called Spectrogram to visualize the file. To my amazement, it worked, and I was soon staring at the "demon" face .

I was, however, not content with this. Why would the good ol' Twin have added a "demon" face into one of his tracks? I mean, the man does have a weird sense of humor, but I always thought demons were more up BoC's alley...

While examining the image, I came to the conclusion that something was not right. So I started messing around with the settings of the spectrograph program, and after a bit of knob twiddling the mystery revealed itself: the face was supposed to be watched with a logarithmic frequency scale, not with a linear scale.

A linear scale provided the "demon face", but with a logarithmic scale the end results were quite different (see picture above)

Why, it was none other than the Twin himself all the time, complete with his patented grin!"

First off... that is fucked. He made a part of the song, JUST so the sound spectrum could look like his face? Wow. That is... that is something else. One part of me is incredibly impressed. He must be a math whiz and have an amazing ear as well as imagination in order to conjur that out. The other part of me just thinks that is plain and pure pretentiousness.

Second...

Is this ACTUALLY an Aphex Twin song?

Jesus H Christ. All that makes me want to see him even more.

I wouldn't call it too much pretentiousness. I mean, the guy is extremely bizarre and he loves to be experimenting all the time with sounds, computers, maths, etc. Many other artists have done the same after that, like Venetian Snares with Songs about my cats, where you can see in fact cats in the spectral analysis.

I don't think that partiture sheet is really a Aphex's song. But knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if a real one looks something like that.

That song with Aphex's face is called ΔMi−1 = −αΣn=1NDi[n][Σj∈C{i}Fji[n − 1] + Fexti[n−1]], by the way.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

ΔMi−1 = −αΣn=1NDi[n][Σj∈C{i}Fji[n − 1] + Fexti[n−1]] is a epic track to say the least and the man is a genius so he clearly works in mysterious ways....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

First off... that is fucked. He made a part of the song, JUST so the sound spectrum could look like his face? Wow. That is... that is something else. One part of me is incredibly impressed. He must be a math whiz and have an amazing ear as well as imagination in order to conjur that out. The other part of me just thinks that is plain and pure pretentiousness.

Second...

Is this ACTUALLY an Aphex Twin song?
    he is a classically trained pianist so it seems likely that he could conjure this stuff up.....but I don't think those music notes are his...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    I wouldn't call it too much pretentiousness. I mean, the guy is extremely bizarre and he loves to be experimenting all the time with sounds, computers, maths, etc. Many other artists have done the same after that, like Venetian Snares with Songs about my cats, where you can see in fact cats in the spectral analysis.

I don't think that partiture sheet is really a Aphex's song. But knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if a real one looks something like that.

That song with Aphex's face is called ΔMi−1 = −αΣn=1NDi[n][Σj∈C{i}Fji[n − 1] + Fexti[n−1]], by the way.
    This all kind of reminded me of recently when I found out the Tool song Lateralus is based off of the Fibionacci Sequence. Not only that though, but that song gives clues as to how the track on the album Lateralus should truly be aranged.
    Maybe its because I am jelous and I know I will never be able to make music eccentrically and techincally like that. However, I think I prefer making music that sounds good to my ears. Nevermind the technical aspects. But hey, if it works for some people... go for it.
    Also, I am going to have to check out that Venetian Snares song.

Coachella Junkie

This all kind of reminded me of recently when I found out the Tool song Lateralus is based off of the Fibionacci Sequence. Not only that though, but that song gives clues as to how the track on the album Lateralus should truly be aranged.
    Maybe its because I am jelous and I know I will never be able to make music eccentrically and techincally like that. However, I think I prefer making music that sounds good to my ears. Nevermind the technical aspects. But hey, if it works for some people... go for it.
    Also, I am going to have to check out that Venetian Snares song.
    here are some more examples of "hidden images" in songs.

A spiral at the end of Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker"

here is the Venetian Snares song, "look" (from the album "Songs about my Cats")

and here is the number 3 in Plaid's song "3 Recurring"

all courtesy of the link in the previous post

pretty interesting stuff.

WTF... those cats ACTUALLY show up in the spectral graph? Like... those aren't photoshopped? I dont see how waves could create pictures so coherent...

Coachella Junkie

I have no idea how they got that picture in there. It's not photoshoped though (or at least I really doubt it is). I would love to show this to someone who is familiar with keyboards/electronic music producing, and see what he/she thinks.

hopefully anyone who went to the Aphex show tonight or any other one this month will post a review here....PLEASE!