Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gene Simmons: College kids killed music biz.

Default Gene Simmons: College kids killed music biz.

Gene Simmons: college kids killed music biz

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Gene Simmons is a busy man. The legendary KISS founder fills his time with a variety of projects. There's filming for "Gene Simmons Family Jewels," the reality show entering its third season on A&E. And there's an animated show on Nickelodeon called "My Dad the Rock Star."

Simmons is writing his third book -- "Ladies of the Night," a "personal and historical overview" on the profession of prostitution -- coming this spring via his own publishing company, Simmons Books. He also has Simmons Comics, with three comic book series based on characters he's created. The list goes on.

Simmons recently chatted with Billboard about KISS and the music industry.

YOU'VE GOT THE THIRD SERIES OF THE KISSOLOGY DVD COMING OUT NEXT MONTH. IS THERE MUCH MORE WE CAN EXPECT COMING?

There'll be 10. No one -- and that includes the Beatles and Elvis -- can touch our (KISS') merchandising and licensing. Nobody. Outside of the music world, it's only Disney and Lucas. But in the music world, they can't shine our shoes.

ANY TOURING PLANS?

We'll tour a few dates next year. We don't have anything to prove to anybody or do press to convince anybody we're important. We're doing KISS festivals around the Indy car racing series. Simmons Abramson Marketing (his business partnership with entertainment industry veteran Richard Abramson) markets and brands Indy cars. I came up with the I Am Indy brand, by the way. They go on the night before. We'll do 15 dates or so. We'll also go to Australia and New Zealand and maybe to four to six shows -- but nothing comprehensive until we feel like it.

IT HAS BEEN NINE YEARS SINCE WE'VE SEEN A NEW KISS ALBUM. ANY PLANS TO GET BACK INTO THE STUDIO?

The record industry is in such a mess. I called for what it was when college kids first started download music for free -- that they were crooks. I told every record label I spoke with that they just lit the fuse to their own bomb that was going to explode from under them and put them on the street.

There is nothing in me that wants to go in there and do new music. How are you going to deliver it? How are you going to get paid for it if people can just get it for free? I will be putting out a Gene Simmons box set called "Monster" -- a collection of 150 unreleased songs. KISS will have another box set of unreleased music in the next year.

The record industry doesn't have a f---ing clue how to make money. It's only their fault for letting foxes get into the henhouse and then wondering why there's no eggs or chickens. Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth. They should have taken their houses and cars and nipped it right there in the beginning. Those kids are putting 100,000 to a million people out of work. How can you pick on them? They've got freckles. That's a crook. He may as well be wearing a bandit's mask.

Doesn't affect me. But imagine being a new band with dreams of getting on stage and putting out your own record. Forget it.

BUT SOME ARTISTS LIKE RADIOHEAD AND TRENT REZNOR ARE TRYING TO FIND A NEW BUSINESS MODEL.

That doesn't count. They are already established acts via, the old music industry. Besides, you can't pick on one person as an exception. And that's not a business model that works. I open a store and say "Come on in and pay whatever you want." Are you on f---ing crack? Do you really believe that's a business model that works?

SO WHAT IF MUSIC JUST BECOMES FREE AND ARTISTS MAKE THEIR LIVING OFF OF TOURING AND MERCHANDISE?

Well therein lies the most stupid mistake anybody can make. The most important part is the music. Without that, why would you care? Even the idea that you're considering giving the music away for free makes it easier to give it away for free. The only reason why gold is expensive is because we all agree that it is. There's no real use for it, except we all agree and abide by the idea that gold costs a certain amount per ounce. As soon as you give people the choice to deviate from it, you have chaos and anarchy. And that's what going on.

Reuters/Billboard
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071114/...zs_3So8eOVEhkF
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Default Re: Gene Simmons: College kids killed music biz.

I hope Gene Simmons dies of prostate cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

He has some good points - even if he is a used car salesman of sub par music
    The Glitter Freeze

College kids to Gene Simmons: DIAF

I don't know if I've ever seen anyone so fully deep-throating the RIAA. Even RIAA executives don't sound as full of shit.

Really, the real question is: were Gene Simmons' opinions on music EVER relevant?
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Bands have never really made money ( at least when you are a small band) off of CD sales.After you break it down, the band only gets 75 cents a cd that is sold. I say release your CD for free and follow Muse's tour till armageddon tour cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

Who gives a fuck what Gene Simmons says he's a fucking joke and so is KISS and I don't even dl music, but fuck this greedy douchebag. This whole interview makes me sick talking about his band as a brand and whatnot not that I really expected anything less but still its sickening to hear anyone talk about music like that. What's wrong with the industry are people like him not college kids.
    The White Stripes 9/18

The music industry should have died before it funded KISS.

*edit: pronoun agreement
    Last edited by atom heart; 11-15-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    he made 0 good points. Saying that Radiohead's model doesn't work. Well uh I beg to differ they raked in so much cash off that model.
    The White Stripes 9/18

I concur. "College kids" did kill the music industry... and we're damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    Saying that Radiohead's model doesn't work. Well uh I beg to differ they raked in so much cash off that model.
    $2-3M is nothing for a band as popular as Radiohead. Do you think an otherwise money-hungry pop band would except that option?

How much money do you think Saul Williams is going to "rake in"?
    Last edited by fober; 11-15-2007 at 01:46 PM.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

My roommate made a good point about this last night. He's suggesting that live performance isn't the true essence of music, but rather the recordings. Ironic, considering Kiss are quintessentially a live act rather than a recorded act. In other words, he's a shithead.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

This is a man who is so shameless in his financial motivation that he brags about it to his fans. Did you really expect him not to be up in arms about having music stolen?
    For your health

this fucker is so stupid that he thinks there is no use for gold.

I open a store and say "Come on in and pay whatever you want." Are you on f---ing crack? Do you really believe that's a business model that works?

there is a resturant here in denver that does that ... you go in and order, then you pay whatever you feel the meal was worth, up to more then, none, or you can even work in their organic garden for an hour to make up the money ... and it works ... canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I want to cover Gene Simmons with raw meat and sick a slew of pitbulls on him. After that I think he should get skull fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

I read that this morning. I couldn't believe he actually said/thought those things. Like, I dont think Gene Simmons cares about ANY of KISS' music ONE little bit. He only cares that it made him rich, which enabled him to get richer.
    Like, I knew he was a greedy asshole who stuck his nose into whatever he could get ahold of... but seriously. This is a whole different level.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I open a store and say "Come on in and pay whatever you want." Are you on f---ing crack? Do you really believe that's a business model that works?

there is a resturant here in denver that does that ... you go in and order, then you pay whatever you feel the meal was worth, up to more then, none, or you can even work in their organic garden for an hour to make up the money ... and it works ... canx**
    That restaurant sounds awesome! Is the food usually worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

He's a business man and he's partially right. College students did not "kill" the music industry, they actually "shifted" the demand for a specific file format. Consumers became disenchanted with what the music industry was supplying to them. They dragged their feet as technical advancements, such as the computer replacing the stereo system, MP3 players, cell phones, shifted consumer demand into another direction (file sharing, peer to peer, online music stores). The sooner that the music industry changes their "business model" and lowers the prices of music, the sooner the demand for fair market price music will increase.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

How does it not fill up with homeless people?
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

Who downloads Gene Simmons's music?

[I]We'll tour a few dates next year. We don't have anything to prove to anybody or do press to convince anybody we're important. We're doing KISS festivals around the Indy car racing series. Simmons Abramson Marketing (his business partnership with entertainment industry veteran Richard Abramson) markets and brands Indy cars. I came up with the I Am Indy brand, by the way. They go on the night before. We'll do 15 dates or so. We'll also go to Australia and New Zealand and maybe to four to six shows -- but nothing comprehensive until we feel like it.
    He sure does come across as someone who doesn't feel like he has to prove anything to anyone, doesn't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    Who downloads Gene Simmons's music?
    This made me want to, out of spite.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Banned

gene is a product of the prime example of how to sell out. he was a average musician with a gimmick, like carot top or gallagher.. kiss was popular not cuz of their music, cuz of the image and to them that is what always has mattered. i understand where he is coming from i just dont respect him as a artist. as a business man? sure he has done great so good for him, but he is no one im gonna look up and at the end of the day, he will be known as a joke who could sell a tshirt. end of story... he will have money but no respect.... hope he enjoys it..
    Last edited by scoop49er; 11-15-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Banned

its jsut like vince neil who once said that politics did not belong in music. he couldnt understand it! i laughed and said to myself "exactly Vince, you dont understand!" lol

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    he made 0 good points. Saying that Radiohead's model doesn't work. Well uh I beg to differ they raked in so much cash off that model.
    Well one good point - the Radiohead model works for very established acts - new bands can not benefit from it. I was refferring to that fact alone, that is all.

I agree that stealing is stealing though - it kinda urks me everyone defends peoples "so-called" right to steal music, just because they can and technology made it easy to do - if the artist doesn't mind then so be it - but you really can't fault those who want to keep their intellectual property, and how it's seen, distributed, etc... in their own terms.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 11-15-2007 at 07:27 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Banned

gene simmons= liberace but more makeup!

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

150 unreleased songs? my god. what the hell was he doing with all those?

You don't want to know how many unreleased songs Boards of Canada or Aphex Twin have.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    this fucker is so stupid that he thinks there is no use for gold.
    Seriously. In an interview snippet filled with ridiculous statements that one took the cake.

Ehh, maybe the one about how the record companies should've taken "houses and cars" from "every freshly-scrubbed little kid."
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    That restaurant sounds awesome! Is the food usually worth it?
    couple of thoughts ........ usually i try and be positive, but there is a down side to this story ... there was also a sister place like this right off time sq i think it was in NYC, well they did the same thing, and the articles i read said all the time there would be these groups of immigrants (no i am not a racist, just saying what they said) and 20 would come in and not pay for anything, well that place closed .. now to today ..... i am such a retard sometimes, i read about this place on like cnn, then the nyc papers, then saw the link to denver ... went to the site , but never been to the place, and its like 20 mins away , lame ya i know, but they are doing great ... critics say the food is great, not a zillion choices, but meat and vegan , so choices for all .. i think that is so way cool .. first time i read about it brought but of being happy thinking stuff like that could really work .. geeez sorry for the ramble............. canx**

that might be my worst hijack ever ... sorry board lol .. canx**