Page 226 of 279 FirstFirst ... 221222223224225226227228229230231 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,780 of 8359

Thread: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS4 - WII U - XBone - PS3 - 360 - WII

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

i'm convince, and $20 is a steal. also, who hasn't played HL2?

October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    January 31 - Mayhem/Watain

I have not played any of the HL games. I've only finally gotten into Valve recently actually, starting with Portal and Portal 2, playing a little bit with Team Fortress 2, and now I've been really enjoying Left 4 Dead 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...232755294.html

The Neo Geo returns this holiday

One of the priciest consoles in video game history is getting a reboot...and it's still kinda pricy.

Releasing December 6, the Neo Geo X Gold Entertainment System is a handheld that plays classic Neo Geo arcade games. In addition to the handheld itself (which boasts a 4.3-inch LCD screen), it comes packaged with a standard-sized joystick controller, a dock that connects the handheld to your TV, and 20 pre-loaded Neo Geo games.

And it can be yours for only $200. Wait, really? Doesn't that seem a little steep for a system that only plays games that are roughly two decades old? Maybe when you compare it to a new Nintendo 3DS (retail price: $170), but not when you compare it to the original Neo Geo home console.

Modeled after the successful Neo Geo coin-op cabinets, the home version essentially reproduced the arcade game experience in your living room. That was quite a cool trick at the time, made even cooler by the Neo Geo's wealth of top-flight 2D fighting game franchises like Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, and The King of Fighters.

But while the Neo Geo home console boasted burlier graphics than what you might find on competing systems like the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, it boasted a burlier price tag, too: a stomach-churning $650 at launch. In 1991. I'm no good at math, but I believe that's the equivalent of, like, $25,000 today.

The result? No one could afford it. Gamers flocked to the SNES and Genesis, and by the time Neo Geo prices started dropping, it was too late. By 1995, Sony and Sega were releasing new consoles capable of churning out cutting-edge 3D graphics, dooming the Neo Geo to niche gaming history.

At any rate, the Neo Geo Gold X is a legit release (it's being made by Tommo in conjunction with SNK Playmore, the original Neo Geo creators) and packs a pretty nice assortment of games:

3 Count Bout
    Art of Fighting II
    Alpha Mission II
    Baseball Stars II
    Cyber Lips
    Fatal Fury
    Fatal Fury Special
    The King of Fighters '95
    King of the Monsters
    Last Resort
    League Bowling
    Magician Lord
    Metal Slug
    Mutation Nation
    Nam 1975
    Puzzled
    Real Bout - Fatal Fury Special
    Samurai Shodown II
    Super Sidekicks
    World Heroes Perfect

Some great stuff in there, though it's likely only going to appeal to those of us who couldn't afford the original system 21 years ago. Which, I guess, is just about everyone. Welcome back, Neo Geo!
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

I am very tempted to buy this next month: Battlefield 3 Premium Edition. It is the game, all the expansions, and a "head start kit" for multiplayer. I don't have the game at all, but I've been hovering over its Amazon and eBay pages for weeks now - ever since I started watching the Robbaz YouTube videos, actually. I saw that this Premium Edition was announced yesterday, and I'm glad that I did not purchase the game yet. It is still expensive at $70, but I guess it is way cheaper than buying the game and buying all the expansion packs (I think one of them was like $50 or something, at launch - Yikes)...

If I buy it, I will get it for the PC. I unfortunately only run a PC through my MacBook's bootcamp... Not very ideal, but I've been running Borderlands and Morrowind on high settings. I know those aren't exactly examples in high performance, but I am also able to run ARMA 2 and DayZ on medium settings. Admittedly, DayZ is pretty much unplayable because of lag on my MacBook. But that is supposed to be a beast of a game (in terms of computer performance) so I imagine that Battlefield 3 on low-medium settings can work.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I am very tempted to buy this next month: Battlefield 3 Premium Edition. It is the game, all the expansions, and a "head start kit" for multiplayer. I don't have the game at all, but I've been hovering over its Amazon and eBay pages for weeks now - ever since I started watching the Robbaz YouTube videos, actually. I saw that this Premium Edition was announced yesterday, and I'm glad that I did not purchase the game yet. It is still expensive at $70, but I guess it is way cheaper than buying the game and buying all the expansion packs (I think one of them was like $50 or something, at launch - Yikes)...

If I buy it, I will get it for the PC. I unfortunately only run a PC through my MacBook's bootcamp... Not very ideal, but I've been running Borderlands and Morrowind on high settings. I know those aren't exactly examples in high performance, but I am also able to run ARMA 2 and DayZ on medium settings. Admittedly, DayZ is pretty much unplayable because of lag on my MacBook. But that is supposed to be a beast of a game (in terms of computer performance) so I imagine that Battlefield 3 on low-medium settings can work.
    So fucking shady. Its the first time I have bought a multiplayer FPS. I bought it launch and this is how they treat the consumer? So fucked. Will never go back. Ever. Maybe...... They have created digital crack.

I suppose that is EA for you. The only one of their games that I play is The Sims 3, and that one always gives me a bad feeling too. They churn out these expansion packs right away, and although they usually add great things to the game, it never really feels like $40 worth of additions. Yet, that is what they usually go for (which costs more than the base game). And they are always selling these pricey aesthetic things that any respectable developer would give away for free -- especially real-world brands, where they are essentially selling you advertisements! Ridiculous. Nonetheless, I enjoy the game. I only buy the stuff on eBay, where I try to get the expansions for no more than $20, which seems more reasonable to me.

As for the Battlefield 3 Premium Edition, it is terribly shady. I came so close to picking the game up on multiple occasions over the past few weeks (I even made an unsuccessful bid on a new copy on eBay just a couple days ago). I would have been furious to have picked it up and then see the announcement for this completed version.

On the other side of the spectrum, there is Unreal Tournament 3. I saw that they added a ton of new maps, game types, and other mods from the community. Sure, it wasn't Epic Games who made the new stuff, but they packaged it very nicely so that you can easily add it and remove it from the game. Free. EA needs to take a page from their book.

EA is the McDonalds of the video game industry.
    EA is the Blink 182 of punk rock.
    EA is the Twilight of literature.

Successful? Hell yes. Making a product that sells? Hell yes. Is it what I want in my video games?

Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

EA has failed many times, yet somehow they are one of the leaders in publishing. Buying up all those franchises ;*(

I have mostly ignored EA, so I can't say that I feel too slighted by them. And by ignoring them, I don't mean that I was boycotting them. I had debated getting games like Burnout Paradise, American McGee's Alice, and Dead Space, but I suppose there were always other games that I wanted even more. My first encounter with EA was through Bullfrog Productions: Populous and Theme Park. Those were definitely my first computer games, and I have very fond memories of them. Those games aren't exactly around today, but it's not like EA killed Peter Molyneux. Also, I suppose Rollercoaster Tycoon is the new Theme Park. What is the new Populous? Is there one?

Anyway, EA's problem isn't so much its gameplay, but its crippling fear of piracy. It wasn't bad when they acquired Maxis, because Maxis needed to be picked up by somebody. And when they were picked up by EA, they made two great titles: SimCity 3000 and The Sims. It was when Spore came along that EA got all silly with DRM. I never played that one, though. But aside from the DRM and DLC noise, I think The Sims 3 is a great game, and I'm betting that the new SimCity will be amazing.

As for Battlefield 3, I believe I am going to have to get that for the PS3 instead of the PC, unfortunately. I was trying out The Secret World today on my computer, and although it is playable, it is on low settings and experiencing a very slight, but annoying lag. I imagine that Battlefield 3 will be a mess on my computer.

I've completely boycotted them, and I don't miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    EA is the McDonalds of the video game industry.
    EA is the Blink 182 of punk rock.
    EA is the Twilight of literature.

Successful? Hell yes. Making a product that sells? Hell yes. Is it what I want in my video games?

Nope.
    Hilarious timing. I just needed to log into EA Origin and I forgot my password, so I had to look it up. Ready?

"EAsucksass!!!"

Heheheheh. Completely 100% true story.

OnLive died. At least I got some E3 swag outta them before they expired.

So much for all those people who bought lifetime licenses of the OnLive games...

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Hilarious timing. I just needed to log into EA Origin and I forgot my password, so I had to look it up. Ready?

"EAsucksass!!!"

Heheheheh. Completely 100% true story.
    YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING. NO WAY THAT STORY ABOUT THE PASSWORD YOU MADE UP IS TRUE.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING. NO WAY THAT STORY ABOUT THE PASSWORD YOU MADE UP IS TRUE.
    It is 100% true. I made the password after picking up the racing game "Need for Speed: Shift" and going through all the BS to set up my EA Origin account with their stupid racing server, then my buddy I couldn't even get in a race together for over an hour. I sold the game on Half.com that night. I think the three exclamation points were the result of their dumb length and special character requirements.

... I want to stipulate for the record that this goddamn idiot really thought I didn't believe his story. That's what he thought the point of my comment was. Never did it enter into his head that I was pointing out what an insanely stupid, uninteresting, and totally believable story it was seeing as all it required was the mentality of an eight year old for him to make that password.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    Do any of you play: TF2, Minecraft, Spiral Knights, NBA2K12 (PC)?
    /medic /demoman

this kind of fanart always amuses me

Having admitted that... the whoring of the hats/items and the new Mann vs. Machine thing is... terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

... I want to stipulate for the record that this goddamn idiot really thought I didn't believe his story. That's what he thought the point of my comment was. Never did it enter into his head that I was pointing out what an insanely stupid, uninteresting, and totally believable story it was seeing as all it required was the mentality of an eight year old for him to make that password.
    For what it's worth, EA does, indeed, suck ass...!!!

I want to stipulate for the record that you're a complete cocksucker... wait, I guess you already did that, huh?

Also, you should probably commit suicide. It is your only unalienable right, and it would do us all a favor.

Coachella Junkie

Nope. Moron.

It's inalienable, not unalienable.

d'oh!

I'm trying to resolve a Games For Windows login issue through their support chat right now, and the person helping me told me that they can't give out things like account details (in a support chat about fixing account problems) but he'd be happy to help me if I gave him my number so he could call me about it. . .what? How on earth does that make any sense?

So, anyone else here play this gem of a game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22L5hPLZWb0

NieR, imo, the great underdog, underrated video game of this generation. I have no problem with the people/reviews that knock the game for all of it's flaws, because, yes, it lacks a *certain* polish that is expected now-a-days, and it has gameplay flaws here and there.
    All things aside, it gets my vote for the best soundtrack in any video game, period, ever.

This article was what made me walk down this memory lane. I am currently listening to the soundtrack at work right now and god DAMNIT do I want to pop this game back in and play all day long.
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/sou...-nier-6393188/
    Last edited by Dogvolta; 08-24-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Pretty good fan trailer for The Last of Us.

2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

New Skyrim expansion "Hearthfire" coming out next week. Kind of an odd addition. It's like a Sims add on. You buy land and build a house and you can adopt children. only 400pts.

October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    January 31 - Mayhem/Watain

Coachella Junkie

I can't search this thread for three letter words, but if anyone was under the impression that Fez was just a cute perspective shifting platformer, stop. Go to your Xbox. Buy it. Game is amazing. It has it's own language, numerical system and logic and contains some of the best/craziest puzzles since the Myst series.

Ah, Myst...so many late nights playing that game as a kid. That and the 7th Guest were two of my favorites. And before the internet where every hint and answer was a click away.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 08-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Anyone still play WoW? Patch 5.0.4 is now live. Lots of changes
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    I can't search this thread for three letter words, but if anyone was under the impression that Fez was just a cute perspective shifting platformer, stop. Go to your Xbox. Buy it. Game is amazing. It has it's own language, numerical system and logic and contains some of the best/craziest puzzles since the Myst series.
    it's been a long time since I've felt so satisfied beating a game (for the most part... i think i missed 2 or 3 cubes, including the last obnoxious clock one) without consulting the internet.