Page 5 of 278 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 8313

Thread: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS4 - WII U - XBone - PS3 - 360 - WII

  1. #121
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,067

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    and some of these arguments for HD-DVD are just plain stupid...first off, I love how the HD-DVD team (and yes I'm calling you a team cuz you all sound like a bunch of fanboys, which is what you accuse the blu-ray people of being) seem to hate on blu-ray strictly for the fact that it's main supporter and developer is Sony. Sure Sony has done wrong in the past, but to automatically assume that blu-ray will fail cuz it's sony and blah blah is pretty narrow minded and dumb thinking.

    Second, I think you all forget that the playstation 2 was responsible somewhat for bringing DVD's to the masses and popularizing it (sure it was only a matter of time, but for Sony to release a machine that would play games and DVD movies - the first of its kind at that time) was pretty amazing and in retrospect, a GREAT move.

    Also, where is all the support for HD-DVD? Where is the computer/tech company support for it? Where can I find HD-DVD burners, or blank HD-DVD discs? I can find blu-ray ones at my local target. Apple, Dell, Adobe and more have all pledged support for Blu-ray, that's pretty substantial. And now all of a sudden, since HD-DVD has a "3 layer" disc in development, all of a sudden disc space/storage/capacity is important...when only a few months back, the HD-DVD team were saying that 50gb Blu-Ray discs were no big deal, cuz no movie or game needed that much storage. Hypocritical if you ask me...

    and Adam, HD-DVD is winning cuz Transformers was the top selling HD movie for that week???? Are you kidding me? Are you really gonna argue for that? That's nonsense. Let me see why the Transformers movie was the top selling HD movie.....oh, because IT WAS EXCLUSIVE TO HD-DVD. That's the only reason. If it were exclusive to Blu-Ray, it would be the other way around using your argument then. When Spiderman 3 or Ratatouille show up at the top of the HD charts next week, can I declare blu-ray the winner then (since using your logic, it doesn't matter that those films are exclusive to blu-ray)? Don't say no, because you were using that logic earlier.

    and if you care, the top selling HD discs on amazon right now are in order:

    Ratatouille (blu ray)
    The fifth element (blu ray)
    Casino Royale (blu ray)
    Pirates 3 (blu ray)

    with the support of the tech companies, disney, sony playstation 3 and more...no way is blu ray going to fail....accept the facts for once.

  2. #122
    Brackish African wmgaretjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,553

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    the fact that anyone thinks hddvd or bluray will ever matter is great evidence that so many people are looking at their own feet.

    physical formats will not succeed in even the immediate future. to think otherwise is naivete.

  3. #123
    Member theburiedlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Califor nyah nyah
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Seriously, someone stop me. I'm in the second prestige mode . Call of Duty IV is going to ruin my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

    2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

  4. #124

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    the fact that anyone thinks hddvd or bluray will ever matter is great evidence that so many people are looking at their own feet.

    physical formats will not succeed in even the immediate future. to think otherwise is naivete.
    I highly doubt that. Especially in the USA when such a large percentage of the population still measures their bit rate in bps.

    Broadcast media will eventually be replaced by the internet and downloadable content. But to think that physical content will be replaced in the immediate future is foolish. The infrastructure requirements are woefully lacking.

  5. #125
    Brackish African wmgaretjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,553

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I highly doubt that. Especially in the USA when such a large percentage of the population still measures their bit rate in bps.

    Broadcast media will eventually be replaced by the internet and downloadable content. But to think that physical content will be replaced in the immediate future is foolish. The infrastructure requirements are woefully lacking.
    Even my parents and my friends parents are watching all their movies via digital cable or downloadable content. The only real exception to this I see relevant is Netflix, and even they are pointing directly towards online content.

    The infrastructure requirements will easily be settled by the economic demands. People won't be willing to pay for hddvd or bluray the minute these alternatives pop up (and they already are). It doesn't make sense to purchase hardware and physical objects like that anymore.

  6. #126
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    People will always want physical objects - sorry.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  7. #127
    Brackish African wmgaretjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,553

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    People will always want physical objects - sorry.
    why? The nature of tactility is changing. I think it's naive to think that ownership is always going to be implied by physicality.

    I have no problem owning my albums (and their artwork) in digital formats. And I have a HUGE vinyl and CD collection that I have stopped adding to for the most part. Of course there will always be special physical objects worth owning, but I certainly don't think that music or movies will stay in that category for very long.

  8. #128
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,067

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    well when the infrastructure is there, and every family has a top of the line PC for their main entertainment hooked up to a nice LCD tv, and the terabytes are a dime a dozen, then yeah....no need for discs at that point.

  9. #129

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    People will always want physical objects - sorry.
    QFT

  10. #130
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,808

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    People will always want physical objects - sorry.
    our generation will always want physical objects. our kids won't.

    electronic media doesn't have as strict limitations on size either. movies could be even higher definition if it weren't for the capacity limits on the discs.

    as for the hd-dvd vs blu-ray war, didn't the porn industry decide to go with blu-ray?

  11. #131
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    yes but unlike the earlier format war (VHS or Betamax) when Porn chose VHS - that was it, people and business owners were forced to buy VHS - nowadays most porn (up to 75%) is downloaded from the web.

    The Blu Ray win in the porn arena isn't as big this time round.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  12. #132
    Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,885

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Porn in 1080p.

    See each individual ball hair as it slaps the ass of coked out bleached blonde bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

  13. #133
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,506

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Porn in 1080p.

    See each individual ball hair as it slaps the ass of coked out bleached blonde bitches.
    Damn. I really wanna quote that... but I have grown quite attatched to mine.

    Quick. Someone else quote it before I change my mind!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  14. #134
    I <3 Fall Out boy Yablonowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In a House
    Posts
    5,879

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    and some of these arguments for HD-DVD are just plain stupid...first off, I love how the HD-DVD team (and yes I'm calling you a team cuz you all sound like a bunch of fanboys, which is what you accuse the blu-ray people of being) seem to hate on blu-ray strictly for the fact that it's main supporter and developer is Sony. Sure Sony has done wrong in the past, but to automatically assume that blu-ray will fail cuz it's sony and blah blah is pretty narrow minded and dumb thinking.

    Second, I think you all forget that the playstation 2 was responsible somewhat for bringing DVD's to the masses and popularizing it (sure it was only a matter of time, but for Sony to release a machine that would play games and DVD movies - the first of its kind at that time) was pretty amazing and in retrospect, a GREAT move.

    Also, where is all the support for HD-DVD? Where is the computer/tech company support for it? Where can I find HD-DVD burners, or blank HD-DVD discs? I can find blu-ray ones at my local target. Apple, Dell, Adobe and more have all pledged support for Blu-ray, that's pretty substantial. And now all of a sudden, since HD-DVD has a "3 layer" disc in development, all of a sudden disc space/storage/capacity is important...when only a few months back, the HD-DVD team were saying that 50gb Blu-Ray discs were no big deal, cuz no movie or game needed that much storage. Hypocritical if you ask me...

    and Adam, HD-DVD is winning cuz Transformers was the top selling HD movie for that week???? Are you kidding me? Are you really gonna argue for that? That's nonsense. Let me see why the Transformers movie was the top selling HD movie.....oh, because IT WAS EXCLUSIVE TO HD-DVD. That's the only reason. If it were exclusive to Blu-Ray, it would be the other way around using your argument then. When Spiderman 3 or Ratatouille show up at the top of the HD charts next week, can I declare blu-ray the winner then (since using your logic, it doesn't matter that those films are exclusive to blu-ray)? Don't say no, because you were using that logic earlier.

    and if you care, the top selling HD discs on amazon right now are in order:

    Ratatouille (blu ray)
    The fifth element (blu ray)
    Casino Royale (blu ray)
    Pirates 3 (blu ray)

    with the support of the tech companies, disney, sony playstation 3 and more...no way is blu ray going to fail....accept the facts for once.
    I kind of want to be the Don King of the upcoming newly recharged Menik vs Nikyo fights. How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

  15. #135
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,506

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by Steez View Post
    the point is you are putting the ps3 up on a pedastol trying to make it some big pussaliya. and as everyone knows 360>wiis3

    the wii shouldnt even be allowed in this thread, biggest waste of money, its just a gimmick thats only catching on cause its different, and because of that different people are buying it

    ill admit i had fun with mine playing wii sports with friends, but after a while it was just boring
    I think this is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

    Nintendo bring something completely new and original to the gaming world... yet you criticize them for being inovative and original and call it a gimick?
    And people sure as hell are buying Wiis because its different! And why is that a bad thing exactly? Nintendo felt the gaming world was getting stale, and it was time to bring something fun and new to the table. A system everyone can enjoy. Not just hardcore gamers.
    I bet you are one of those people who be praising Microsoft if the came out with the idea first. Then you would continue to mock Nintendo for being behind in the times.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  16. #136
    Member garrett222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I might be wrong
    Posts
    2,450

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    i have a wii...i'll beat all of you at bowling.
    Upcoming Shows:

    Sasquatch Festival

  17. #137

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    I bought a Wii so I can build fore arm muscle so that I can jerk of faster, and harder..
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

  18. #138
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    How's that working for ya?
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  19. #139

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    How's that working for ya?
    It's great! I really wish though that fable would come out for the Wii.
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

  20. #140
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    I'm thinking about picking up the Mario Olympics thing - I plan on playing all the relatives over the holidays
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  21. #141

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    They already have HD Porn.

    Just, y'know, for the record...
    Bicycle, you're keeping me sane.

  22. #142

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    "you remember when you used to jerk off to porn and right when you were about to pop a load they cut to a close-up of the dude's ass and you wanted to kill yourself"

    -Name of the movie escapes me at the moment-
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    if i had 1200 bucks id buy another guitar, or a bunch of pot...

  23. #143

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    and some of these arguments for HD-DVD are just plain stupid...first off, I love how the HD-DVD team (and yes I'm calling you a team cuz you all sound like a bunch of fanboys, which is what you accuse the blu-ray people of being) seem to hate on blu-ray strictly for the fact that it's main supporter and developer is Sony. Sure Sony has done wrong in the past, but to automatically assume that blu-ray will fail cuz it's sony and blah blah is pretty narrow minded and dumb thinking.

    Second, I think you all forget that the playstation 2 was responsible somewhat for bringing DVD's to the masses and popularizing it (sure it was only a matter of time, but for Sony to release a machine that would play games and DVD movies - the first of its kind at that time) was pretty amazing and in retrospect, a GREAT move.

    Also, where is all the support for HD-DVD? Where is the computer/tech company support for it? Where can I find HD-DVD burners, or blank HD-DVD discs? I can find blu-ray ones at my local target. Apple, Dell, Adobe and more have all pledged support for Blu-ray, that's pretty substantial. And now all of a sudden, since HD-DVD has a "3 layer" disc in development, all of a sudden disc space/storage/capacity is important...when only a few months back, the HD-DVD team were saying that 50gb Blu-Ray discs were no big deal, cuz no movie or game needed that much storage. Hypocritical if you ask me...

    and Adam, HD-DVD is winning cuz Transformers was the top selling HD movie for that week???? Are you kidding me? Are you really gonna argue for that? That's nonsense. Let me see why the Transformers movie was the top selling HD movie.....oh, because IT WAS EXCLUSIVE TO HD-DVD. That's the only reason. If it were exclusive to Blu-Ray, it would be the other way around using your argument then. When Spiderman 3 or Ratatouille show up at the top of the HD charts next week, can I declare blu-ray the winner then (since using your logic, it doesn't matter that those films are exclusive to blu-ray)? Don't say no, because you were using that logic earlier.

    and if you care, the top selling HD discs on amazon right now are in order:

    Ratatouille (blu ray)
    The fifth element (blu ray)
    Casino Royale (blu ray)
    Pirates 3 (blu ray)

    with the support of the tech companies, disney, sony playstation 3 and more...no way is blu ray going to fail....accept the facts for once.
    Erik. Relax.

    I didn't call anyone a fanboy, so thanks. Also, I don't think BluRay will be unsuccessful just because it's Sony's format. I think it will eventually lose out to HD-DVD as an HD movie media because it's more expensive, mostly.

    The PS2 did greatly help popularize DVD. The PS2 was also A LOT more popular than the PS3. The PS2 was also developed first and foremost as a video game platform, DVD playback was secondary. I think Sony took the success of the PS2 and decided to use their Playstation brand and use it to ensure the future of BluRay. I think Sony lost a lot of the focus of making another great gaming console with the PS3 because of this. They've sold ~4 million PS3's, but standalone HD-DVD players have outsold standalone BluRay players since the beginning. However, BluRay disc sales were recently double that of HD-DVD. This is being attributed to the number of PS3s out there. If the PS3 continues it's disappointing sales trend, what's going to happen when standalone HD-DVD players surpass it? What's going to happen this Christmas when HD-DVD players are $150 less expensive than BluRay? Do you not acknowledge the impact Walmart can have on something like this?

    You're misreading into my comments on storage capacity. I didn't say triple layer HD-DVD was in development, I said it's certified, big difference. But nevermind that, I wasn't arguing for anything at that point, I was only pointing out the innaccuracies of what C DUB YA was saying, so you're thoughts are misguided.

    And again, about Transformers' sales, you're confused. I was never making the argument that HD-DVD was winning because of it, actually I've never said HD-DVD is winning at all, I just think it will win in the end as the HD media format. Since you missed it, I was arguing against C DUB YA's claim that BluRay had the top titles. And to further clarify, I wasn't saying that Transformers HD-DVD is the best selling HD-DVD (it is), nor was it the best selling HD-DVD of that week (it was)- it's the best selling HD movie (HD-DVD or BluRay) ever. And still is. Neither Spiderman 3 nor Ratatouille sold or are selling more.

  24. #144
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by adamnikyo View Post
    And again, about Transformers' sales, you're confused. I was never making the argument that HD-DVD was winning because of it, actually I've never said HD-DVD is winning at all, I just think it will win in the end as the HD media format. Since you missed it, I was arguing against C DUB YA's claim that BluRay had the top titles. And to further clarify, I wasn't saying that Transformers HD-DVD is the best selling HD-DVD (it is), nor was it the best selling HD-DVD of that week (it was)- it's the best selling HD movie (HD-DVD or BluRay) ever. And still is. Neither Spiderman 3 nor Ratatouille sold or are selling more.
    Um, is that because of the film or because of the format???? Y0u also can't say Spiderman or Ratatouille are not selling more because they've had less time on the market. They prolly won't catch Transformers, but that is besides the point, if Transformers was exclusive to Blu ray, guess what - it still would've been the best selling HD title thus far. Not because it's on HD-DVD.

    I said Blu Ray had top titles, yes. Of the current best selling DVD's (including Spidey transformers and Ratatouille), 7 of the 10 come in the Blu Ray format, 5 of the 10 are on HD-DVD.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  25. #145
    Member All That I Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Parlier, CA
    Posts
    1,503

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    I remember how my friends dad would always tell us that people who bought VHS players were stupid because betamax was the future of the industry.
    I miss Bill Hicks.

  26. #146
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,885

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    my first VCR was a Beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  27. #147
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,039

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    my first VCR was a Beta.
    same here and i have a blu ray lol .... guess i need a brain ... canx**
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  28. #148

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    I started playing Assassin's Creed. Who knew killing over-zealous Christians would be so much fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    if i had 1200 bucks id buy another guitar, or a bunch of pot...

  29. #149
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,885

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  30. #150

    Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII



    Chad Warden fo' prezident
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    if i had 1200 bucks id buy another guitar, or a bunch of pot...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 550
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 07:33 AM
  2. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
  3. Synth Hardware/Software Thread
    By Jman4321 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
  4. Gaming Tent
    By natureboy in forum Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
  5. IT hardware geek help
    By jackstraw94086 in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •