Page 10 of 278 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS4 - WII U - XBone - PS3 - 360 - WII

Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

Fuck that game, I just finished singing El Scorcho on Rock Band, damn i'm addicted to this game.
    I miss Bill Hicks.

I am addicted to Devil May Cry 4.

Brain control headset for gamers

Brainwaves controlling a video game

Gamers will soon be able to interact with the virtual world using their thoughts and emotions alone.

A neuro-headset which interprets the interaction of neurons in the brain will go on sale later this year.

"It picks up electrical activity from the brain and sends wireless signals to a computer," said Tan Le, president of US/Australian firm Emotiv.

"It allows the user to manipulate a game or virtual environment naturally and intuitively," she added.

The brain is made up of about 100 billion nerve cells, or neurons, which emit an electrical impulse when interacting. The headset implements a technology known as non-invasive electroencephalography (EEG) to read the neural activity.

Ms Le said: "Emotiv is a neuro-engineering company and we've created a brain computer interface that reads electrical impulses in the brain and translates them into commands that a video game can accept and control the game dynamically."

See how the headset works

Headsets which read neural activity are not new, but Ms Le said the Epoc was the first consumer device that can be used for gaming.

"This is the first headset that doesn't require a large net of electrodes, or a technician to calibrate or operate it and does require gel on the scalp," she said. "It also doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars."

The use of Electroencephalography in medical practice dates back almost 100 years but it is only since the 1970s that the procedure has been used to explore brain computer interfaces.

The headset could be used to improve the realism of emotional responses of AI characters in games
    Tan Le, Emotiv

The Epoc technology can be used to give authentic facial expressions to avatars of gamers in virtual worlds. For example, if the player smiles, winks, grimaces the headset can detect the expression and translate it to the avatar in game.

It can also read emotions of players and translate those to the virtual world. "The headset could be used to improve the realism of emotional responses of AI characters in games," said Ms Le.

"If you laughed or felt happy after killing a character in a game then your virtual buddy could admonish you for being callous," she explained.

The $299 headset has a gyroscope to detect movement and has wireless capabilities to communicate with a USB dongle plugged into a computer.

The Emotiv said the headset could detects more than 30 different expressions, emotions and actions.

They include excitement, meditation, tension and frustration; facial expressions such as smile, laugh, wink, shock (eyebrows raised), anger (eyebrows furrowed); and cognitive actions such as push, pull, lift, drop and rotate (on six different axis).

Gamers are able to move objects in the world just by thinking of the action.

Emotiv is working with IBM to develop the technology for uses in "strategic enterprise business markets and virtual worlds"

Paul Ledak, vice president, IBM Digital Convergence said brain computer interfaces, like the Epoc headset were an important component of the future 3D Internet and the future of virtual communication.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7254078.stm
    Last edited by theburiedlife; 02-20-2008 at 08:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

Devil May Cry is the most overrated series ever.
    I have no idea why a simple button masher has spawned three sequels.
    I miss Bill Hicks.

Played the demo for DMC4 a few days ago and decided I should just replay DMC3 rather than waste any money on it.

Ninja Gaiden: Sigma is the same as well. I got about 45 minutes in and haven't touched it since.
    Bicycle, you're keeping me sane.

Sony's target of selling 11 million PS3s by March is going to happen. Blu-Ray winning the war is going to boost PS3 sales. PS3 is selling faster than PS2 had been and has out sold the XBOX 360 in the past four weeks.

People who thought Playstation was going to die out because of PS3's incredibly boring and uneventful start are incorrect.

Not to mention it looks like the cool games are almost ready. Home should be coming out very soon. LittleBigPlanet released a new video on the Playstation Network not too long ago. Spore might be made for PS3 (and XBOX 360 and the Wii). The Agency is going to rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Fuck yes. I cant wait for The Agency.

Grand Theft Auto 4 comes out the tuesday after Coachella.

IGN has some great preview coverage up.

I can see all the hours wasting on this game flying by

From IGN

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/855/855555p1.html

With cops in hot pursuit and the spotlight of a chopper locked onto our car, we made a wrong turn, drove over a cliff and crashed onto a beach. As we ran from our burning car, we narrowly avoided being squashed by a squad car that -- in true CHiPs fashion -- followed us over the cliff. We did our best to stave off an arrest, firing a few rocket-propelled grenades to take down one of the choppers overhead. The curling smoke trail is a gorgeous thing. The little scuffle soon turned into a standoff on the beach as we laid down suppressing machinegun fire on a group of cops attempting to approach from the beach. We were saved by a miracle -- a second police car drove over the cliff and crashed into the group of pursuing officers.

We ended things by going on one of the great rampages in GTA history. At least, we'd like to think that was the case. Determined to have a final spot of fun, we started a ruckus with some cops and then car-jacked a bus to make our escape. We tore through Liberty City, crashing through cars at intersections and tossing Molotov cocktails out the window as we went. At one point we saw an ambulance heading towards us, clearly on the way to care for the wounded left in the wake of our incendiary killing spree. One well-placed toss of a Molotov and the paramedics were forced to stop, drop, and roll.

It should be noted that every car we drove handled differently. Not only was each car unique in how it drove, but each its own suspension -- which you could see while making sharp turns. Some of our chase scene moments felt like they were ripped straight from Bullitt. Except instead of Steve McQueen, you had Hilary and Greg behind the wheel smashing in to every parked car on the street.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Banned

the xbox is dead.

Banned

i have a PS3 and a 360...

my 360 gets way more play time...

resistance for ps3 was fucking insane, especially the online...

but xbox just has more people to play with online...

anyone on live right now?

Banned

xbox have any HD games out?

Banned

i think gears was 1080 if im not mistaken...

Banned

i think you might be. that is why they sell an add on for HD DVD, which is also dead. that was the deciding factor for me.

put the xbox to bed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    put the xbox to bed
    seriously. I just recently found out the xbox wasn't HD, many people don't know that. It seems crazy to me they would go up against the play station with regular DVD format discs. Even dual layer they're topping out at 8 gigs. BR is what, like 50 some gigs?, Insanity. Yeah as they get better with programing the games will get better, but they're gonna top out way before the playstation.

2008 will be the death of the XBOX.

Although announced yesterday at the Destination PlayStation event, Sony America was quick to distance itself from the June 12 release date, saying instead "late Q2 2008." Konami has now confirmed via press release that Metal Gear Solid 4 is indeed coming out June 12, 2008.

like I've been saying, getting an Xbox 360 is like stepping backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    i think gears was 1080 if im not mistaken...
    most xbox games are rendered at 720p....which then can be upscaled by the settings set on the machine and depending what kind of cables/TV set up you have...so yeah, you can get a mock 1080 rendering of Xbox games, but not true 1080p HD. Poor xbox...

...and then there are those people who don't give a damn what HD format they buy, or even if it's HD at all. Buying a console for it's movie quality should not be the sole deciding factor.

Surprisingly (get ready for this), people will STILL buy a Xbox for its games. GASP. I know, shocking, buying a gaming console for the sake of gaming.

The PS3 fanaticism is choking this thread to death.

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    seriously. I just recently found out the xbox wasn't HD, many people don't know that. It seems crazy to me they would go up against the play station with regular DVD format discs. Even dual layer they're topping out at 8 gigs. BR is what, like 50 some gigs?, Insanity. Yeah as they get better with programing the games will get better, but they're gonna top out way before the playstation.
    what sort of difference does true HD make? I've been playing xbox360 on my hi-def screen and am constantly blown away by the graphics. Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, Half Life 2, etc look stunning to me and by reading some ps3 reviews at ign there doesn't seem to be much quality difference.

having discs capable of 50 gigs is cool, but until video games get really huge I don't see the point. I assume a roughly 100 hour Call of Duty game is possible but what company would churn out such a long game. I assume added detail to shorter games as well, but I haven't seen any examples of 50 gigs of space being needed
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    what sort of difference does true HD make? I've been playing xbox360 on my hi-def screen and am constantly blown away by the graphics. Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, Half Life 2, etc look stunning to me and by reading some ps3 reviews at ign there doesn't seem to be much quality difference.

having discs capable of 50 gigs is cool, but until video games get really huge I don't see the point. I assume a roughly 100 hour Call of Duty game is possible but what company would churn out such a long game. I assume added detail to shorter games as well, but I haven't seen any examples of 50 gigs of space being needed
    Agreed, If i wanted a HD format player I'd go out and buy one. The 360 has already incredible graphics, and it's system launch was at least better thought out than one of it's rivals.

I dont see how HD DVD gets tied so closely with Xbox, because Sony decided to implement it's own technology into it's consoles doesn't mean its a better gaming platform. The demise of HD DVD certainly doesn't deminish Microsoft consoles' playability.

And metal gear solid nor super smash will cause the "downfall" of the Xbox, so don't be dramatic about it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post

What sort of diff. does HD make? Have you seen true 1080p HD not upconverted? It's freaking insane. I rented this game presented in full HD(LAIR) and the graphics are fucking unbelievable. Yes, the games aren't that big, and you're correct, right now there isnt much difference, my point was about the possibilities. much more is possible with PS3. not that the 360 is useless or garbage, but its gonne be before the PS3. And that's not to see the PS3 is not gonna have its day either, i just think the xbox is gonna go 1st.

Possibly, but it's had a good run even before the PS3 launched or had any decent games on it.

They'll just pop out another when it's past it's prime.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by theburiedlife View Post
    ...and then there are those people who don't give a damn what HD format they buy, or even if it's HD at all.
    you're absolutely correct. i still DJ with records, its a dying medium, doesnt mean im not gonna play them. But when it comes to gaming, im into quality games and graphics. the playstation 3 just has more capability, online gaming is free and a little added bonus, i can play BR discs on it. yeah, the online community isnt as big, but it will grow. there arent as many games out for it, but this year is looking really good. God of war is coming out next month, GTA is also. (side note: im fucking stoked about God Of War) I just cant believe with the new technology out, MS wouldnt go with it. Even if they went full HD DVD and it dies, they still can compete. Right now in the long run, they cant. they do have a good jump though.

Banned

Possibly, but it's had a good run even before the PS3 launched or had any decent games on it.

yeah, but id be fucking pissed. these systems arent cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    you're absolutely correct. i still DJ with records, its a dying medium, doesnt mean im not gonna play them. But when it comes to gaming, im into quality games and graphics. the playstation 3 just has more capability, online gaming is free and a little added bonus, i can play BR discs on it. yeah, the online community isnt as big, but it will grow. there arent as many games out for it, but this year is looking really good. God of war is coming out next month, GTA is also. (side note: im fucking stoked about God Of War) I just cant believe with the new technology out, MS wouldnt go with it. Even if they went full HD DVD and it dies, they still can compete. Right now in the long run, they cant. they do have a good jump though.
    Man I was going to unleash some fanboy fury on your last post but this right here has made me think twice.

I checked out God of War and it seemed like a mix of Devil May Cry and Prince of Persia. I don't particularly fancy that game play but I can see how people are excited about it.
    Last edited by theburiedlife; 02-28-2008 at 07:35 PM.

I saw an article on Digg describing the same thing. I think MS really cut corners to get the 360 out before the PS3. And it would be a shame if they rolled out another machine since they JUST turned a profit for the first time recently and I could see alot of people being but hurt about a new machine they have to get that will probably be as good or slightly better than the PS3.

Banned

I enjoyed part one more than part two. hopefully they go with a format closer to the first one.

edit: buriedlife, ive been meaning to say, those duck pics you posted are fucking awesome.
    Last edited by alias; 02-28-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I saw an article on Digg describing the same thing. I think MS really cut corners to get the 360 out before the PS3. And it would be a shame if they rolled out another machine since they JUST turned a profit for the first time recently and I could see alot of people being but hurt about a new machine they have to get that will probably be as good or slightly better than the PS3.

PS3 seemed like it didn't give it developers enough time to put out any decent games until about a year later. Thats the pot calling the kettle black.

Xbox released good games at start and has consistently had good games to keep me entertained for about 3 years now. I'm pretty content with it.