Page 1 of 277 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS4 - WII U - XBone - PS3 - 360 - WII

Default THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS4 - WII U - XBone - PS3 - 360 - WII

Every now and then, some threads start about gaming. Someone will automatically claim one system's dominance over another - I really dislike those statements.

I own all 3 systems, and I think those who make such claims don't have the option of actually playing and enjoying the other systmes. The media has created this hardware war, and so far the public have voted for all 3 systems. In their own way. While there still may be a casuality, this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

The 360 has hit the ceiling of what it can do, the Wii is already getting close to the same situation. The PS3 however is the one system, yet to flex any real muscle. That in itself is exciting - for gamers in general, not for MS, Sony, or Nintendo fanboys. If you like 360, you have a system right in the thick of it's glory time. Wii and PS3 have some growing to do, fun fun fun.

Right now I like all 3 systems pretty much equally. Here is why:

PS3 - Ratchet and Clank: Future is so fun and beautiful - it has no parallel, Also Heavenly Sword is a great cinematic experience that is actually fun to play. I LOVE watching Blu Ray movies (this is a big bonus over the other two systems by the way, when you by the HD-DVD add on, the 360 is the same price as the PS3, if not a bit more money). Also the Playstation online network, while not as rich as XBOX Live, is 100% FREE. They have had some stinker titles though (Lair), and need a major exclusive library boost (Drake's Fortune, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone 2, could be those titles).

360 - although very over-rated, Halo 3 is still very fun, online is the only way to go in the end, and I have a good time with it, every time. Madden is one game that a side by side comparision shows a 360 victory. Frame rate, frame rate, frame rate. Its looks better and it just plays smoother on the 360 than the other 2 systems, that comes down to the ease of programming. What an additional year and half on the market can do. Gears of War is awesome, better than Halo 3 as a campaign title. When Gears of War 2 comes out it will have to keep up the fight, beacuse by that time, PS3 and Wii, will have some firepower of their own (most likely).

Wii - is fun as a concept for the casual gamer, and the wiimotes are far more responsive than anyone could've hoped. All the games are fun enough, but if it's a cross platform title, then I would opt for the PS3 or 360 version first. Mario Galaxy however is a whole other story, a really great title, reason to buy the system. Hopefully Wii can have more titles like that (Smash Brothers), it will need them to extend the system's life beyond the current casual gamer interest.

Thoughts? Favorites?
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 11-14-2007 at 07:52 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Default Re: THE GAMING HARDWARE THREAD: PS3 - 360 - WII

Sega Dreamcast....
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Wii fo sho I like the ''gun'' they are putting out. They need to busy out Hogans alley and stuff, the Links crossbow game looks to be fun, and Smash Brothers will be siiick, if they did 4 player style too!

I have played PS3 and 360 but its just better graphics and stuff and I dotn know. I used to totally be a gamer but not so much anymore.

Guitar Hero still rules..

The Wii sells out within 30 minutes of every delivery i get - still, nearly a whole year after launch. It's not really selling to gamers though - it seems more of a replacement for the good old family board game. Mario Galaxy will be the first time i switch the machine on this year.

I haven't switched my PS3 on at all this year. I may try Ratchet and Clank, but if that's the best it has to offer....Maybe if the games actually ran in 1080 (most are still 720 for some reason). The PS3 and 360 are selling in almost identical rates here at the moment. I get asked every day "when are some good games coming out for my PS3" by customers. We get a lot of people trading in PS3's to get 360's, due to the wealth and depth of product available. Maybe next year it'll have a stronger and more original line up.

My 360 gets quite a lot of use, mainly on LIVE, as it actually works (take note sony).

I have a 2hr round trip to work every day, so my DS gets the most use. My PSP was the first machine i ever traded in, due to it's shockingly bad games.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

commodore 64...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Sega Mastersystem

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

last console I owned was a super nintendo. lol.

I'd like a ps3, mostly for the back catalog of ps1 and ps2 games. I have yet to see any ps3 games that are a real draw... though the same can be said of the wii and the xbox 360 as far as I am concerned. when gta4 is released, however...

I read that the ps3 development is what delayed that game actually -- the engineers underestimated how difficult it would be to develop for the ps3. that's a little discouraging.

The backwards compatibility has been removed from the latest "cheaper" european PS3's.

GTA4 on 360 is getting more additional shizzle than the PS3 version.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I stayed up late playing Super Mario Galaxy last night. I'm kinda sleepy today.

ill go PS3 when its not 10 thousand dollars. theyre killing themselves, WTF!?
    Last edited by marooko; 02-15-2008 at 11:59 AM.

i have a wii, but I haven't been blown away by any titles so far. going to get Galaxy today, even though I don't really have time to play it. I'm most excited for smash brothers, I loved that game on 64.

every time I visit my parents I play Xbox360 with my dad. I wish I had the time and money for one of those things. I have played Gears of War, Bioshock, call of duty, and have loved them all.

god damn I wish I was a kid again, and actually had time for this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    ill go PSP when its not 10 thousand dollars. theyre killing themselves, WTF!?
    ??????

PSPs are what... (or will be) $139.99 for xmas? That's not that much for that hardware - not in the least.

IF you meant PS3 - they are NOT a lot either - for what you get. ($399) Hell, most Blu Ray players are at least that much by themselves.
    The Glitter Freeze

I have a Wii - It's got potential to be extremely fun, but it's looking like the same situation with the N64 where 3rd party developers are having problems making good games. Metroid Prime 3 was pretty good as was Zelda. I'm probably gonna pick up Mario Galaxy and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 this week. Medal of Honor apparently has the best controls for a FPS on the Wii so far. And online play.

PSPs on black friday are going to be a deal and half. For %150 you get a PSP and 5 games.

And yeah PS3's next week are going to be nice, Best Buy has it with NBA 08 and a movie for $399.

Question, so whats the deal with the ''Wii wheel''? I saw that somewhere, so now driving games are going to get into the mix.

yeah I saw the wheel to - could be cool. Driving with the wiimote is cumbersome.

The PSP and PS3 prices for xmas is crazy good. Wow!

Watched Ratatouille on Blu Ray last night - it was awesome.
    The Glitter Freeze

Also - looks like Dual Shock controllers are coming back as a option for the PS3
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    The backwards compatibility has been removed from the latest "cheaper" european PS3's.
    I know. terrible choice on their part.

GTA4 on 360 is getting more additional shizzle than the PS3 version.
    this may be the first attraction the xbox has ever held for me. I don't get it. isn't the ps3 more powerful than the 360?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I know. terrible choice on their part.

this may be the first attraction the xbox has ever held for me. I don't get it. isn't the ps3 more powerful than the 360?
    No.

I read that is purely SPECUALTION, GTA4 will most likely be identical out of the box - additional online content however will most likely differ.

The PS3 - on paper - is way more powerful. But it takes more than just processor power and storage capacity to make a great game - the developers hold the key - as soon as they figure out how to develop easier and faster - the PS3 will start to shine more.

What you see on the market now - apart from Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank, is basically PS3 - v1.0, give it another 6 to 12 months and see the difference. Its starting to happen already.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 11-14-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I wouldn't buy a PS3 or HDDVD equivalent until one format has been decided. Taking Sony's track record into account, I predict the winner to HDDVD. Also, I am still of the opinion that the hype over both formats is a little unjustifed. Yes, the movies look better, ONLY if you have an HDTV that will do 1080p, and is at least 50 inches in size. Beyond movies, there is no real reason to own a 1080p TV. At the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    I read that is purely SPECUALTION, GTA4 will most likely be identical out of the box - additional online content however will most likely differ.
    oh. thanks. hopes have been lifted slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    I wouldn't buy a PS3 or HDDVD equivalent until one format has been decided. Taking Sony's track record into account, I predict the winner to HDDVD. Also, I am still of the opinion that the hype over both formats is a little unjustifed. Yes, the movies look better, ONLY if you have an HDTV that will do 1080p, and is at least 50 inches in size. Beyond movies, there is no real reason to own a 1080p TV. At the moment.
    True - but I doubt a clear cut winner can be chosen right now - if i'd have to guess I'd say Blu Ray - purely on higher profile titles (esp Disney) and the amount stores like Best Buy and Circuit City have decided to carry, and dedicate shelf space to.

Both currently dedicate more racks and space to Blu Ray.

Bigger issue might be gaming in general and the size contraints HD-DVD has. A Game like Heavenly Sword could not be done on HD-DVD, purely on space.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    oh. thanks. hopes have been lifted slightly.
    The 360 is banking on more downloadable content
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I got Gamecast

Wii all the way. With that being said, I am a total Nintendo fanboy. I own the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy colour, gameboy advance and DS. I am also always on the lookout for a virtual boy.
    I love the Wii though. Twilight Princess was amazing. Wario Ware was fun, Ryman is fun... hell everything I have played on it was fun. I wasnt a fan of the gamecube Metroid games, but I really enjoyed Metroid in the Wii. I am also really excited about Super Mario Galaxy. From what I have heard, its probably better then I am even imagining. I think I am going to wait till Christmas though... school is a bitch right now.
    Super Smash Bros Brawl will own ALL though. Seriously. I am sooooooo excited for that game. Im to the point where there is almost NO way it will be as good as I am imagning. Then I will go to the website... and they will have added something new! It keeps on getting better and better! Febuary 10th cannot come soon enough. It almost depresses me I will know the Coachella 08 line up before I get my hands on Brawl...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    No.

I spoke to the dev team at our conference. 360 will be the only machine that gets the total GTA4 experience. I still have no idea what they meant, but there will be more stuff on the 360 version, wether in the box or downloadable.

I don't think you need a 50" screen to really enjoy hi-def. I can certainly see the difference on my 40". Sin City looked amazing (and even the shittest sci-fi movies suddenly become watchable - just for the effects)

SSSB is gonna be sweet
    The Glitter Freeze

I spoke to the dev team at our conference. 360 will be the only machine that gets the total GTA4 experience. I still have no idea what they meant, but there will be more stuff on the 360 version, wether in the box or downloadable.

I don't think you need a 50" screen to really enjoy hi-def. I can certainly see the difference on my 40". Sin City looked amazing (and even the shittest sci-fi movies suddenly become watchable - just for the effects)
    Right - downloadble content will make the differences
    The Glitter Freeze

C DUB YA is wrong about so many things I've lost the urge to correct him.

And to continute on Mr Nipples.

Turbografix 16

I still think the Wii gun is going to rule.

Like I said..... Hogans Alley beetches.............

Banned

He has a blog to promote.